Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Willie G. announces retirement...  (Read 8924 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Willie G. announces retirement...
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Tradition is a big part of the reasons why we own these machines. When the heart of the tradition retires one can only hope that the heritage of this company remains true to the culture.

If I only wanted a better riding, better handeling, better performing, better quality motorcycle then I would have bought a Honda or a BMW. But I prefer the Classic all the way.

Love my Harley Davidson!

That's a maddening and self defeating perspective.  In a nutshell that summarizes why Mother Harley has become so narcissistic and removed.  Why it doesn't just think but feels that it knows it can treat much of its consumer base like mushrooms and get away with it.

The bikes can look and be good.  Even suggesting that you'd consider good looks and a "classic" feel to be more important than a good machine allows the company a pass to keep retreading old visual idea and stay a generation behind the curve compared to the rest of the automotive industry (of which HD is a part).

That sentiment wrote the next great advertising line for the competition.  "...and a Harley rider said 'if all I was after was a good bike I could ride a Honda'."
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:48:35 AM by Twolanerider »

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »

But the two things do not have to be mutually exclusive.  There is no good reason why Willy and the boys in Milwaukee had to settle for bad quality and lousy customer service.  It was strictly a result of complacency and short sighted management, and will probably lead to the next great downfall in the history of the company.  For every guy like you who prefers the tradition, heritage and culture instead of best in class performance and quality, there are legions of young folks who just expect their stuff to work correctly without hassles.  I don't see those kids being willing to suffer the same shortcomings we have just because of some lifestyle crap or historical perspective.  It's a brave new world, and it's time for companies firmly rooted in the last century to drag themselves into this one.  If that means replacing the old farts with young blood and modern ideas, so be it.  Honor him for what he did to help save the company 30 years ago, but don't let that blind you to what needs to be done now to save it again.

Jerry

Well said Jerry

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »

He is probably tired of answering to stock holders and their demand for unit/unit corporate profits. In order to pacify the stock holders the MoCo must show at least a 4% increase in profits every year. When sales are flat that can only be achieved with lay offs, outsoursing parts (cheaper), closing plants...profits staying flat is not an option. If you own a private company these days flat is ok, keeping your staff is ok, keeping the quality of your product is ok, life is ok. Some quality companies are buying back their stock and going private to ward off the blood sucking stock holders, brokers, and middle management who know nothing about our motorcycle culture and what we want.  Doc

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

Now maybe a water cooled bagger!
Mike
 :drink:

I agree with the above!
In his prime, he did good, but that was many years ago, IMO

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »

Can quality be improved?  Sure, no doubt.  And can products be better engineered?  Again, yes.  But when I get on my 2012 CUSE7 and compare it to my '99 ultra with the first twin cam there is no comparison - it is light years better.  And I am not convinced that Beemers or Gold Wings are ' better riding, better handling, better performing, better quality motorcycles.'  They have their own share of problems.  And the ergonomics of the big Harleys is way, way better than their offerings imo.  I have no idea what the numbers are but I am certain that Harley dressers outnumber all other brand dressers by a huge margin so the moco must be doing something right.

I don't think I am settling for second best in order to preserve tradition - but I do appreciate and honor tradition.  Everyone has their own perspective and opinion but I appreciate that Willie G. and many others at the moco have felt it important to keep that tradition.    

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 06:54:45 AM »

I remember in the mid 80's at the first Annual Hog Rallies like Branson,MO, Pigeon Forge,TN or the Poconos,PA.
At that time,there was a life member breakfast and Willie G was allways listening to us and had kind words for everyone.
For me,it is a great guy.
RESPECT mister Willie G .
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:01:54 AM by BALIS »

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:07 AM »

C'mon, guys... We don't ride Harleys for the quality, the reliability, the smoothness, nor the handling. We ride 'em for one reason, and one reason ONLY... because "you can't get hot biker chicks on a HONDA!"

Love him or hate him... but Willie G. was a huge reason we have Harleys to ride today. On my SESG, I can go friggin' FAST, and look cool while doing it! Well, as "cool" as I am capable of looking, anyway... which probably isn't that cool... But you just can't look cool on a Gold Wing... sorry...

Willie G. has RETIRED??? "We might as well try to get BMWs now. At least with a Beemer the Harley riders won't beat me up..."

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 07:49:53 AM »

Can quality be improved?  Sure, no doubt.  And can products be better engineered?  Again, yes.  But when I get on my 2012 CUSE7 and compare it to my '99 ultra with the first twin cam there is no comparison - it is light years better.  And I am not convinced that Beemers or Gold Wings are ' better riding, better handling, better performing, better quality motorcycles.'  They have their own share of problems.  And the ergonomics of the big Harleys is way, way better than their offerings imo.  I have no idea what the numbers are but I am certain that Harley dressers outnumber all other brand dressers by a huge margin so the moco must be doing something right.

I don't think I am settling for second best in order to preserve tradition - but I do appreciate and honor tradition.  Everyone has their own perspective and opinion but I appreciate that Willie G. and many others at the moco have felt it important to keep that tradition.    

Well said, thank you  :2vrolijk_21:  In the past I have ridden Honda's, Yamaha's all metric's and my first Harley was a 2005 new Softail Deluxe.  It was the first motorcycle that was "fun" to ride.  Now owning a 2012, I can honestly say that I think the MoCo has exceeded my expectations.  Yes, they could do better in some areas but when I climb on it and start it up it is an experience that I never got from my metric scooters.  If Willie G is responsible for this awesome motorcycle, than I say thank you  :2vrolijk_20: and I appreciate your contribution to "making my day."
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »

Now maybe a water cooled bagger!
Mike
 :drink:

It's only a matter of time  ;)
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »

Willie may have been locked in the past as far as design, but give him his props.  He knew what we wanted to ride.  Everybody states that the other bike manufacturers have come out with better engines and more power off the showroom floor, and they're right, but in order for them to do that, they had to do two main things, water cooled and more cylinders (4 to 6).  The MoCo came out with the Porche-designed water-cooled V-Twin, and called it a Harley, and if they would have went to that engine exclusively, the MoCo would no longer be here.  They don't have the sound that we want to hear, or the feel.  Is it a better engine, more than likely, but it's not what we want.  There's only so much you can do with an air-cooled, push rod, engine and keep the sound that is distinctively "Harley".  The Japanese, and even Victory, have tried, but they can't quite get it.  Better engines, sure, but I don't see everyone flocking to get one.  If the MoCo goes to more cylinders and water/liquid cooling, which eventually, they'll be forced to do, we won't have the beloved Harleys that we all ride.  I, for one, can put up with a little inconvenience, and older technology to have the bike that I want to ride, hear, and feel.  The MoCo has done well in their marketing, they've made HD's the iconic American motorcycle, and to mess with that formula, will see it's demise.  JMHO.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »

Willie may have been locked in the past as far as design, but give him his props.  He knew what we wanted to ride.  Everybody states that the other bike manufacturers have come out with better engines and more power off the showroom floor, and they're right, but in order for them to do that, they had to do two main things, water cooled and more cylinders (4 to 6).  The MoCo came out with the Porche-designed water-cooled V-Twin, and called it a Harley, and if they would have went to that engine exclusively, the MoCo would no longer be here.  They don't have the sound that we want to hear, or the feel.  Is it a better engine, more than likely, but it's not what we want.  There's only so much you can do with an air-cooled, push rod, engine and keep the sound that is distinctively "Harley". 

They came out with a great water-cooled engine.  They just made the mistake of putting it in the wrong bike!
Big Lew
IBA #595

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »

They came out with a great water-cooled engine.  They just made the mistake of putting it in the wrong bike!

It is a great engine.  No doubt.  But right or wrong bike, it will never sound like the Harley we like to hear.  Also, its gas mileage sucks on a good day.

:devil:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:19:36 AM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mark

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »

Most of what I hear folks complaining about are design related.  I'm sure Willie would like to have designed new and different bikes for every year model, but he's got to work within the company's limitations...design costs, stockholders, bad economy, profits, etc.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »

+1 Frankly I think he did a pretty darn good job. I absolutely LOVE my FLHXSE3!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

91FXR

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 08:42:47 AM »

Maybe Eric will come back
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.