Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Interesting info regarding lane splitting  (Read 11073 times)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:20:03 AM by erniezap »
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Interesting infor regarding lane splitting
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »

The article since it won't be available online for too long:

Motorcycle lane splitting is legal, but even some bikers get nervous about it

Diane Bagues had just moved to San Leandro a few years ago from another state, and she was stunned one day when a motorcyclist sped down the middle of the freeway inches away from her car and one in the next lane.

"Lane-splitting scares the *&^%&* out of me," she wrote in an email. "I've never seen this in any other state, and couldn't believe it was legal here."

She's not alone. Kicking off the start of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, the state Office of Traffic Safety on Thursday released its first-ever survey on the controversial but legal practice of splitting lanes.

The survey found that 53 percent of drivers think splitting lanes is against the law but that 87 percent of motorcyclists do it. It also found that 7 percent of drivers admit to trying to block motorcyclists as they travel between lanes.

California is the only state to allow this common practice. While there is no law that deals directly with it, police say it's OK when done safely at moderate speeds. That usually means when traffic is creeping along at under 45 mph, but not 65 mph, when roadway conditions are light.

Many motorcyclists and some traffic cops say splitting lanes makes them nervous, but they know it saves them significant time on the road.

"Without lane-splitting, I would never get to work," said Eric Johnansen, who commutes across the Bay Bridge from Oakland to San Francisco. "It's a life saver. But I know it freaks out the car
Advertisement
people, and I also know that it's not the safest thing I do all day."

Officer D.J. Sarabia of the California Highway Patrol office in San Jose calls the practice dangerous, but he does it.

"As a motor officer myself for the last 11-plus years, I am very apprehensive to split traffic but must do so to do my job," Sarabia said. "You definitely have to be aware of traffic patterns: speed of traffic, people making lane changes, stop-and-go traffic, etc."

Motorcycle deaths have fallen since 2008 after a decade of annual increases and are down nearly 30 percent, while the number of people injured decreased by nearly 11 percent over the same period.

Yet the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists are about 39 times more likely than occupants of a car to die in crashes. Yet most crashes are the fault of the motorist and not the motorcyclist.

Will Clark, of San Jose, was clipped by a car when he was lane-splitting at 30 mph alongside a South Bay carpool lane. "He hit me just as his turn signal flashed for the first time," Clark said.

Safety officials say using turn signals is a huge safety tip they recommend, along with keeping an eye on traffic in adjacent lanes and behind.

That's why electronic freeway signs will once again urge drivers to be more aware of motorcyclists, saying: "SHARE THE ROAD. LOOK TWICE FOR MOTORCYCLISTS."

That message worked in past years, said motorcyclist Les Kurtz, of Fairfield.

"I felt a direct and obvious improvement in the way cars react to me on my motorcycle," he said of last year's effort. "More drivers do see me. As proof, I have had fewer cars changing into my lane."

But not all motorcyclists have the same experience. Albert Rios says he'll make eye contact with some drivers and then watch as they steer toward him. One time on 19th Avenue in San Francisco, a passenger in a car purposefully flung open his door as Rios passed by.

The survey found that 15 percent of motorcyclists say they have either been hit by a car or hit one. More than 45 percent say they've come close to being struck. More worrisome, perhaps: 70 percent say they were racing 10 to 20 mph faster than other vehicles.

Few have sympathy for those who split lanes at high speeds.

"Riding too fast is one of the most common things that motorcyclists do to make lane splitting unsafe," said safety spokesman Chris Cochran.

Added Patrick Caselli, of San Jose, a motorcycle rider since 1965: "Nothing makes me more angry than some guy flying in and out of traffic at 65-plus."

Contact Gary Richards at 408-920-5335.
Safe riding

Perform a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering or exiting a lane.

Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.

Allow more following distance -- three or four seconds -- when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop.

Never tailgate.

Avoid riding in poor weather.

Wear brightly colored protective gear and a DOT-compliant helmet.

Use turn signals for every turn or lane change.

Combine hand and turn signals.
Source: Office of Traffic Safety
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »

Good find Ernie. i will be interested in reading more comments as they come in from the general public as they post , and i voted YES.   Seeing out- of - staters reaction to splitting lane is always interesting. And for those who want to try Dan,s splitting double Simi,s in the curve,s they can take his Class   Ride Like A Dick
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »

Good find Ernie. i will be interested in reading more comments as they come in from the general public as they post , and i voted YES.   Seeing out- of - staters reaction to splitting lane is always interesting. And for those who want to try Dan,s splitting double Simi,s in the curve,s they can take his Class   Ride Like A Dick

:zroflmao:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Re: Interesting info regarding lane splitting
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »

Never mind being blocked, I've had people get really irate and scream obscenities at me for lane splitting. Rather than flip them off, unless I was in a group I've stopped and said to these people  - - - -"lane splitting is legal in California and is specifically mentioned in the Driver's Handbook you pick up at DMV to study for a license exam. You can ask any CHP or other LEO and they will verify this. Sooooooo, my question to you is what else don't you know about driving as it's obvious that you have obtained your license illegally "  This usually gets me more profanity, total flip off and other assorted insults. My response is always the same - - - "buy a motorcycle and enjoy the freedom"

B B

PS   Have had Chippies right on my ass more than once while doing this during rush hour. Even had one blip his siren so I'd let him go as I wasn't doing it fast enough to suit him.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:16:02 PM by Spiderman »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »

NOT legal up here in Canada. Even in Cal, I'd want to be led through it a few times before I'd feel at all comfortable doing it myself.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »

Having never done it since I don't live in Cali, how tough is it to lane share while riding a bagger?
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »

What most amazed me is the number of "drivers" who thought it is illegal, or blocked a bike because "they are getting ahead of me".   :confused5:
Spada84
NoSofa!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

According to the latest available statistics, there are 850,000 motorcycles registered for use on the road in California. I think that number suggests why folks on motorcycles might have this law on their side. That's a lot of vehicle being allowed to get out of the way when traffic bogs down

B B

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »

My wife and I was on our way down the 405 from San Fransico to Santa Monica a couple of year ago. It was around 5 pm and every lane was practically stopped. We were on the Ultra and in my mirror I see another bike coming up the middle. He slowly passed us and waved for us to follow him. I was hesitant at first, but I thought what the heck..........I kicked up my highway pegs and whoop it in behind him and we slowly worked out way thru the grid lock and before I knew it we was buzzing right along again. I have no doubt we'd still be in that nightmare on the 405 if I'd not started splitting.
Most cars would see me coming and kindly move enough to allow my passage. I would give them a nod and some a wave thank you when I could. I have no problem with it and wish other states would allow it. It's a good thing if done properly.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »

The operative word is "properly".  When traffic is stopped or barely moving, lane splitting might make good sense to a motorcyclist.  But when traffic is actually moving, even if it's only 35 mph rather than the preferred WOT, I think it makes much more sense to stay in line, not piss off the cagers, and try to avoid being blocked/sideswiped/etc.  If we could reasonably assume ALL drivers were sane and willing to let a motorcycle by, maybe splitting would make more sense.  But with all the "ten bricks short of a load" types on the roads these days, plus the genius types texting or watching DVD's while driving, I try not to assume that anyone on the road actually sees me or is willing to share the road with me, much less a lane.

I tend to believe if splitting was such a great and safe thing, there would be more than one state out of fifty that allows it.  I think I prefer the idea of one vehicle per lane, no exceptions.

JMHO  -  Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »

I did it when riding in California but was very nervous but survived and would do it again.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »

Having never done it since I don't live in Cali, how tough is it to lane share while riding a bagger?

Not much of a problem....we all do it.

Riding about 10 mph over the speed they're doing is generally a good rule of thumb.  The thing is, during the commute hours traffic will get up to 35 mph or so for maybe two or three hundred yards then all of a sudden it's stopped.

I ride with my brights on during the day and many drivers will actually move to the outside of their lane, to allow us more room.  I assume those are riders stuck in a cage as I do the same when I'm in my truck and see a bike coming up the side.  Just doesn't seem to be that big of an issue in Calif. any longer, like it was years ago.  Motorcycle awareness is increasing I believe.

I've followed behind CHP or other LEOs on bikes, lane splitting and I've had them follow me.  My preference is to follow them......they seem to attract a lot more "motorcycle awareness". :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »

Forgot to mention......it's a way of life in California.  And I get so used to it that I've found myself doing it in other states without even thinking about it. :nixweiss:   So far (knock on wood) I haven't got the little piece of paper that reminds me it's illegal. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »

My wife and I was on our way down the 405 from San Fransico to Santa Monica a couple of year ago. It was around 5 pm and every lane was practically stopped. We were on the Ultra and in my mirror I see another bike coming up the middle. He slowly passed us and waved for us to follow him. I was hesitant at first, but I thought what the heck..........I kicked up my highway pegs and whoop it in behind him and we slowly worked out way thru the grid lock and before I knew it we was buzzing right along again. I have no doubt we'd still be in that nightmare on the 405 if I'd not started splitting.
Most cars would see me coming and kindly move enough to allow my passage. I would give them a nod and some a wave thank you when I could. I have no problem with it and wish other states would allow it. It's a good thing if done properly.

Atta boy!  You're a natural.  After awhile you get a second-sense about the outcome when passing certain cars.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »

My favorite lane splitting story is heading southbound on the 805 coming out of Del Mar. Traffic was jammed up so I kicked up my highway pegs (a must if you're gonna do this) and started riding through. A knock-out of a blonde in an open roof Lambo with Texas plates tried to block me, started screamin at me in a high pitched twangy voice that sounded like fingernails on a blackboard to my proper New England diction (ayuh) and just generally lost it. I mean this woman was on the verge of a stroke she was so irate. As stated before, I stopped, looked at her with a huge grin and told her that what I was doing was perfectly legal in California and that she should calm down before she popped a vein in one of her eyes and spoiled her good looks. Well of course that only made her all the madder and I rode away howling with laughter with her venomous screams in the background. Made sure I rapped my Thunderheaders a couple of times before I let out the clutch too   ::)

B B

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »

Lane splitting is a necessity in CA.  It should be legal everywhere.

The most surprising thing I've observed while splitting lanes is the number of fools who are texting, talking on cells (illegal in CA), surfing the 'net,  or primping in the mirror.  It's a miracle more people aren't killed.

Once followed CHP splitting lanes.  It was awesome!  It was like the parting of the Red Sea.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »

I know no other way than to split. Native Southern Californian here, and it is necessary unless you desire to ride on Sunday and get home on Monday. I am probably a little to comfortable splitting lanes, I can and have done it for hours. I have a riding partner that HATES it, and his wife is worse, but they will follow me as I part the sea. Like others have experienced, following LEOs is the best way to split, cages WILL move for them and you. Your attention span will get a workout, paying attention to so many cars at one time. Ride safe........

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »

If you have to ride Los Angeles freeways; you will eventually learn lane splitting. There are areas where it is called "parking lots" for good reason. The normal traffic pattern in some of these areas is SIT, WAIT, PULL UP 6 feet, STOP, WAIT, another 6 feet. Orange county commutes can take an hour or two to go just 10 miles or so. A trip across LA that should take 45 minutes at the posted speed can drag out to 6 hours in some cases. I split lanes for 20 years with no accidents.

The most dangerous traffic patterns are when 5 or 6 lanes go from stopped to 45 or 50 mph, and then jam on brakes for another stop. This goes on back and forth all day. Some cagers just get sick of watching the lane next to them gain a few car lenghts in an half hour and will make a mad dash to squeeze in an empty car length without looking behind them first.

Traffic was one of the factors that motivated us to move to South Dakota. We are in California now for my Wife's son's wedding. Every time I come here is now culture shock. People drive like they are "trying" to kill you. So, what is the first rule of driving in California traffic? DON"T use a turn signal because people will purposely cut you off if they think you want to get ahead of them...

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »

the first rule of driving in California traffic? DON"T use a turn signal because people will purposely cut you off if they think you want to get ahead of them...

Exactly right. 

The second rule in CA is to poke along in the left lane, and refuse to move over and let faster moving cars pass.  Never saw such poor driving anywhere I've lived, except maybe Utah. 

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »

In CA lane litting is a necessary evil. Dangerous but it helps too much not to do it.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 05:29:06 AM »

I've ridden with Hoist and have done this in NY!

I'll lane split as a last option to maintain my pace in PA and NJ. While not a common practice it is sometimes necessary to get by the three/four lanes of traffic all going the same speed.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »

My favorite lane splitting story is heading southbound on the 805 coming out of Del Mar. Traffic was jammed up so I kicked up my highway pegs (a must if you're gonna do this) and started riding through. A knock-out of a blonde in an open roof Lambo with Texas plates tried to block me, started screamin at me in a high pitched twangy voice that sounded like fingernails on a blackboard to my proper New England diction (ayuh) and just generally lost it. I mean this woman was on the verge of a stroke she was so irate. As stated before, I stopped, looked at her with a huge grin and told her that what I was doing was perfectly legal in California and that she should calm down before she popped a vein in one of her eyes and spoiled her good looks. Well of course that only made her all the madder and I rode away howling with laughter with her venomous screams in the background. Made sure I rapped my Thunderheaders a couple of times before I let out the clutch too   ::)

B B

That's just funny, I had to chuckle!
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

On these California Freeways, your Harley will die a slow death from overheating if you dont do it.. Of course you have the option of pulling over and waiting out the traffic,, but you'll have a long wait..  For the most part lane splitting goes uneventful for me but i have had a few encounters with rude idiots that dont appreciate the law..

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »

the first rule of driving in California traffic? DON"T use a turn signal because people will purposely cut you off if they think you want to get ahead of them...

Exactly right. 

The second rule in CA is to poke along in the left lane, and refuse to move over and let faster moving cars pass.  Never saw such poor driving anywhere I've lived, except maybe Utah. 

This sounds like what goes on in Hawaii now... have all the Californians moved here?

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »

I've only been back in CA two days now and already I am screaming out threats to kill people.... Man, I can't wait to get home...

Hey Hawaii, yes, I guess so because my last trip there I noticed the same thing there... Wasn't that way on any of my past trips out there.

When I tell people out in SD that I lived in California, the first thing they ask is; "You didn't bring any of those bad driving habits out here did you? I sure hope not!", LOL....

jb

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »

I've only been back in CA two days now and already I am screaming out threats to kill people.... Man, I can't wait to get home...

Hey Hawaii, yes, I guess so because my last trip there I noticed the same thing there... Wasn't that way on any of my past trips out there.

When I tell people out in SD that I lived in California, the first thing they ask is; "You didn't bring any of those bad driving habits out here did you? I sure hope not!", LOL....

jb

People here used to drive with "Aloha".. in the last 10 years thats gone out the window...

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »

B B

That's funny chit right there  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

MooseAmos

• Full CVO Member
  • "Damn Few..."

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - "Louie"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTI - "Harry"
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »

I go out to SoCal for a week's visit every summer & am always envious it's legal to split--would be INCREDIBLY beneficial here in the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area where traffic is absolutely ridiculous...   :soapbox:
- 2012 Black/Slate CVO Street Glide:  Rinehart True Duals; HD Supertuner; LED Headlight/Passing Lamps/Turn Signals; Zumo 665 GPS + XM; 8.5" Klock Werks Shield; Corbin Hollywood Solo; Detachable King TourPak; Heated Grips; etc.

- 2006 Vivid Black Heritage Softail:  SE Exhaust; HD Supertuner; Heavy Breather; Passing Lamps; Corbin Solo; Detachable Ghost Shield/Boss Leather Trunk + Saddle Bags; Lindby Twinbar; etc.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »

There was a thread on this topic sometime ago.  I posted a CA Highway Patrol bulletin on the subject.  They consider lane splitting to be legal based upon a California vehicle code section which allows passing on the right when there is a lane to the right or room on the right.  Still, it is risky and must be done with prudence.   My experience is that most motorists will move over to let me by.  Face it, motorcycling is risky and most motorists are incompetent.  We ride as though half the drivers do not see us and the other half are trying to kill us!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »

There was a thread on this topic sometime ago.  I posted a CA Highway Patrol bulletin on the subject.  They consider lane splitting to be legal based upon a California vehicle code section which allows passing on the right when there is a lane to the right or room on the right.  Still, it is risky and must be done with prudence.   My experience is that most motorists will move over to let me by.  Face it, motorcycling is risky and most motorists are incompetent.  We ride as though half the drivers do not see us and the other half are trying to kill us!

Now those are some useful road signs!  We need some of those in Alabama.

Do not try lane splitting in Alabama...you will be a greasy spot on the road.  Even if you take the shoulder of the Interstate, cage drivers will honk, appear to pull over on you, and cuss you out
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »

I have never lane split, had a bike tap the mirror of my rental car in L.A. on a double lane exit ramp as she passed at about 25 while we were sitting still. I'm not in that big of a hurry!

Craig

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »

Exactly right. 

The second rule in CA is to poke along in the left lane, and refuse to move over and let faster moving cars pass.  Never saw such poor driving anywhere I've lived, except maybe Utah

Yeah I don't understand why they drive so chitty. My shop lead didn't much care for my comments that I was gonna take my company provided truck and shove the winch up someones ass the next time they cut me off.

Only way I'll drive through CA is leaving late at night or early in the morning. Kudos to those of you who are gifted enough to split lanes. Ain't gonna be me.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:29:40 PM by DJ56 »

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 04:22:17 AM »

Yep, I do it (and love it) here in Melbourne Aus. all the time...the cops CAN charge you with crossing lines without indicating etc. IF they can be bothered chasing you, but are reasonably tolerant if you are not too dangerous in your interpretation....the freeways are an example where traffic is stopped through peak times, so up the middle I go and then you get the wankers that move over so you cannot get through, it's then into the breakdown lanes...$140 fine for that, (once again if they can catch you)...that hit on the siren couldn't possibly be for me officer...surely ha ha...Kahil Gibran (The Prophet) cited:- (Man delights in making laws...but he delights MORE in breaking them)...how true...I feel so sorry for the motorists in their cages with windows... that have to sit in traffic and wait their turn....
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »

Last weekend a group of six road our bikes to the NHRA Sonoma Nationals. Traffic not to bad until we hit Hwy 121, which came to a complete 'turtle crawl'. So we proceeded to lane splitt to beat the heavy traffic..  For the most part, we were cutting the ride side until we came upon some idiot driving a jacked up truck that decided he didn't want us to pass.  He seen us coming from behind and once we came upon him he pulled a complete 90 degree to block the fog lane (emergency parking).  Really stupid move on his part,, we  simply cut around him on the left side and the miles of traffic behind us did the same, trapping the stupid fool in his spot.. As far as we could see, no one was letting the fool back into traffic...  I wanted so bad to bump into this guy at the track and ask him how he enjoyed his trip in.   :huepfenjump3:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:15:33 AM by cvobiker »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »

Statistically speaking it's actually safer for a motorcycle to split lanes. The majority of freeway accidents are rear enders, and a motorcycle has a better survivability rate when it is between, or along side a car as opposed to being sandwiched front and rear. It was part of an NHSTA finding.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »

California Highway Patrol (Ca Motorcyclist Safety Program) on legal lane splitting general guidelines:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

"Lane splitting in a safe and prudent manner is not illegal in the state of California.
The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering or white-lining, refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between lanes of stopped or slower moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light.
Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split:"

and it goes on

2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »

lane splitting is perfectly illegal in most European states - but on the other hand a habit of most bikers and widely tolerated in slow traffic. You have to know what you are doing though - but when riding a bike you always should  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »

Great information, Jimmy.  Thank you!   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »

California Highway Patrol (Ca Motorcyclist Safety Program) on legal lane splitting general guidelines:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

"Lane splitting in a safe and prudent manner is not illegal in the state of California.
The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering or white-lining, refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between lanes of stopped or slower moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light.
Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split:"

and it goes on

Great stuff....

RidinRuby

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »

Words to live by from the "Lane Splitting Guide"

"If you don't fit, Don't split"  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »

Watch the crosswalks!

Saw another dangerous situation where a bicyclist ignored the traffic signal and crossed against the signal in the crosswalk.

Crossing against 3 lanes 2 going straight and 1 turning left.  She was obscured in front of the car in the number three lane when our direction signal turned green. The car coming up in the number two lane had to stop suddenly when she appeared around the car in the number three lane. (She waved) In the turn lane we waited for her to clear before proceeding.

If a rider had shot the green light between the cars in lanes two and three he would not have seen her in time and might have mowed her down.

I've also seen this happen with mothers and children, and seniors where they need a little extra time to finish the crossing.

I saw a father let his three or four year old run across by himself when the light turned green. Anybody turning right on red would not have seen this kid because of the other cars stopped. Many right-on-red drivers no longer stop, check, then turn but roll the red and only stop if they are impeding vehicles with the right-away.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:07:36 AM by DDavidson »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 04:53:00 PM »

The guidelines say "motorcyclists can ride between two cars if there is room, but only at speeds no more than 10 miles-per-hour faster than the vehicles they're passing. The rules also say that motorcyclists should not attempt the move at full freeway speeds, or in any traffic going faster than 30 mph."

That sentence would indicate that they will start enforcing what they haven't been previously, lane-splitters 10MPH above speed of other vehicles, or freeway speeds, or in traffic faster than 30MPH. Trying to make it safer out there for all concerned, but it's a big change in that it's now in writing (but not codified).
 :soapbox:

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »

It's interesting to note, the CHP Motor Cops who I've had the good fortune to fall behind on the freeway do not follow this guideline.  Even so, they are very highly trained riders and do have an obvious look that makes cages widen the gap on instinct.  To increase visibility, I just ordered the Biker Buddy P+1 headlight modulator.  It will help in that regard.  http://www.bikerbuddy.net/content/bikerbuddy%E2%84%A2-p1%C2%AE-headlight-modulator  Just don't use it when riding in groups.  It can be irritating having that in the rear view mirror for long periods of time. 

I believe the speed limitation will be used for those who are doing crazy speeds through nearly stopped traffic, but not because someone passed between two cars safely, when given the room to do so, however traffic is flowing. 

We split here in California quite a bit, but I try to be courteous, so not to upset those sensitive souls stuck in traffic.  The heavier the traffic, the more contentious it can be.  I've heard of cages getting tickets when deliberately closing the gap by moving over when they see the bike.  One of my riding buddies told me there was a CHP behind him and when the cage moved over to block, the blue lights came on.   :2vrolijk_21:

It's good to see something in writing, but I believe it is as much for the cage drivers, so they know bikes are going to be passing between them and it is legal. 

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »

The guidelines say "motorcyclists can ride between two cars if there is room, but only at speeds no more than 10 miles-per-hour faster than the vehicles they're passing. The rules also say that motorcyclists should not attempt the move at full freeway speeds, or in any traffic going faster than 30 mph."

That sentence would indicate that they will start enforcing what they haven't been previously, lane-splitters 10MPH above speed of other vehicles, or freeway speeds, or in traffic faster than 30MPH. Trying to make it safer out there for all concerned, but it's a big change in that it's now in writing (but not codified).
 :soapbox:

Right now it's just general guidelines.....the law hasn't changed.......YET!  This article was in the news this morning, by AP....

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The California Highway Patrol has created the first written guidelines on motorcycle "lane-splitting," the maneuver by which cyclists pass vehicles in adjacent lanes by driving between them. 

The Sacramento Bee reported Monday that California is the only state that allows lane-splitting. Until now, there have never been safety guidelines for the polarizing practice that often pits motorcycles against cars and trucks.   

The guidelines say motorcyclists can ride between two cars if there is room, but only at speeds no more than 10 miles-per-hour faster than the vehicles they're passing. 

The rules also say that motorcyclists should not attempt the move at full freeway speeds, or in any traffic going faster than 30 mph.

The guidelines come as the number of motorcyclists in California have risen, as well as the number of motorcycle crashes.

The Associated Press

West Coast GTG   

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:56 AM »

Disclaimers:

Risk of getting a ticket: Motorcyclists who lane split are not relieved of the responsibility to obey all existing traffic laws. With respect to possible law enforcement action, keep in mind that it will be up to the discretion of the Law Enforcement Officer to determine if riding behavior while lane splitting is or was safe and prudent.
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

That's always been the case, Don.  Traffic enforcement is always discreationary.....some (like me) always get a ticket while others get a warning.    :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

BakedInMN

• Junior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 12:18:07 PM »

I used to split lanes all the time in Japan. It's legal there as well. It really interesting at a red light when the little scooters and mopeds cut the lanes and pull in front of traffic, and gather at the front of the line. It wasn't unusual to have ten - twenty scooters at the front of the pack at traffic lights.

On a side note, having driven in many other countries, the US has some of the most lax drivers licensing requirements of any country I have been in. There are a significant amount of drivers on the US roads, that are barely qualified to ride in the back of the bus, let alone actually operate a motor vehicle on public roadways. Splitting lanes here seems so much riskier than it did in Japan.
My current stable:
1972 FLH Shovelhead
2003 FXSD 100th Anniversary Blue
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
2014 FXSBSE Molten Cobalt

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »

That's always been the case, Don.  Traffic enforcement is always discreationary.....some (like me) always get a ticket while others get a warning.    :nixweiss:

How do you get a ticket when you've posted you're not riding anymore  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »

Haven't got a ticket in the past three months.  But believe it or not.....you can get a discreationary ticket (or is that "non-discreationary?) for any number of infractions including speeding, wreckless driving, improper lane change, etc. with any kind of motor vehicle.....doesn't have to necessarily be a motorcycle.  And now it looks like they're going to add lane spliting to those "non-discreationary" tickets.  :nervous:

An interesting video clip......the guy says "you think we don't see you.  But we see you......we see you....putting on your lipstick, talking on your cell phone, not paying attention......and that's why we're still alive!".

http://www.kcra.com/news/CHP-posts-first-ever-guidelines-for-legal-lane-splitting/-/11797728/18462038/-/fl1j7fz/-/index.html

West Coast GTG   

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »

And you should see JC lane-split with that 5th wheel!  :huepfenjump3:
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 04:29:00 AM »

Haven't got a ticket in the past three months.  But believe it or not.....you can get a discreationary ticket (or is that "non-discreationary?) for any number of infractions including speeding, wreckless driving, improper lane change, etc. with any kind of motor vehicle.....doesn't have to necessarily be a motorcycle.  And now it looks like they're going to add lane spliting to those "non-discreationary" tickets.  :nervous:

An interesting video clip......the guy says "you think we don't see you.  But we see you......we see you....putting on your lipstick, talking on your cell phone, not paying attention......and that's why we're still alive!".

http://www.kcra.com/news/CHP-posts-first-ever-guidelines-for-legal-lane-splitting/-/11797728/18462038/-/fl1j7fz/-/index.html

JCZ, looking at the comments below the video it shows this goofy statement. Very uninformed and scary.

Richard  :pineapple:

"Paula Treat
I have wanted to see lane splitting outlawed for years. It is scary for auto drivers and should be banned. more than once I have wanted to open my door."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »

JCZ, looking at the comments below the video it shows this goofy statement. Very uninformed and scary.

Richard  :pineapple:

"Paula Treat
I have wanted to see lane splitting outlawed for years. It is scary for auto drivers and should be banned. more than once I have wanted to open my door."

Yep.....like the guy indicated.....it messes up their texting and their lipstick job.  :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »

Here in the UK it dose not say it's legal or not legal. The only statement in the riding manual is "Quote" (when in slow moving traffic a vehicle is following to close behind you what shod you do? Answer, slow down gradually to increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front to a safe distance.) :nixweiss: No rider I have seen has put that one to practise.
Lane splitting gos on all over BUT!!... it dose not stop there, rides are all over the place. You'll have on a two/three lane, bikes will be passing on eather side of you, when your already doing 50 MPH. Crawling traffic riders will pass you riding in the on comming lane and at the same time one will be on the other side of you.

The driving manual dose put a big envies on cagedivers to be on the look out for rides. There is also a lot of TV adds on drivers be wear, thy show some graphic collisions between car and bike, this is geared to the cagedriver awareness on riders.  "NOT" to riders.

At the end of the day, there's no reference to say you can or can't lanesplit. Our choice and watch out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 24 queries.