Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Interesting info regarding lane splitting  (Read 11072 times)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Re: Interesting info regarding lane splitting
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »

My favorite lane splitting story is heading southbound on the 805 coming out of Del Mar. Traffic was jammed up so I kicked up my highway pegs (a must if you're gonna do this) and started riding through. A knock-out of a blonde in an open roof Lambo with Texas plates tried to block me, started screamin at me in a high pitched twangy voice that sounded like fingernails on a blackboard to my proper New England diction (ayuh) and just generally lost it. I mean this woman was on the verge of a stroke she was so irate. As stated before, I stopped, looked at her with a huge grin and told her that what I was doing was perfectly legal in California and that she should calm down before she popped a vein in one of her eyes and spoiled her good looks. Well of course that only made her all the madder and I rode away howling with laughter with her venomous screams in the background. Made sure I rapped my Thunderheaders a couple of times before I let out the clutch too   ::)

B B

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »

Lane splitting is a necessity in CA.  It should be legal everywhere.

The most surprising thing I've observed while splitting lanes is the number of fools who are texting, talking on cells (illegal in CA), surfing the 'net,  or primping in the mirror.  It's a miracle more people aren't killed.

Once followed CHP splitting lanes.  It was awesome!  It was like the parting of the Red Sea.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »

I know no other way than to split. Native Southern Californian here, and it is necessary unless you desire to ride on Sunday and get home on Monday. I am probably a little to comfortable splitting lanes, I can and have done it for hours. I have a riding partner that HATES it, and his wife is worse, but they will follow me as I part the sea. Like others have experienced, following LEOs is the best way to split, cages WILL move for them and you. Your attention span will get a workout, paying attention to so many cars at one time. Ride safe........

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 10:21:57 PM »

If you have to ride Los Angeles freeways; you will eventually learn lane splitting. There are areas where it is called "parking lots" for good reason. The normal traffic pattern in some of these areas is SIT, WAIT, PULL UP 6 feet, STOP, WAIT, another 6 feet. Orange county commutes can take an hour or two to go just 10 miles or so. A trip across LA that should take 45 minutes at the posted speed can drag out to 6 hours in some cases. I split lanes for 20 years with no accidents.

The most dangerous traffic patterns are when 5 or 6 lanes go from stopped to 45 or 50 mph, and then jam on brakes for another stop. This goes on back and forth all day. Some cagers just get sick of watching the lane next to them gain a few car lenghts in an half hour and will make a mad dash to squeeze in an empty car length without looking behind them first.

Traffic was one of the factors that motivated us to move to South Dakota. We are in California now for my Wife's son's wedding. Every time I come here is now culture shock. People drive like they are "trying" to kill you. So, what is the first rule of driving in California traffic? DON"T use a turn signal because people will purposely cut you off if they think you want to get ahead of them...

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »

the first rule of driving in California traffic? DON"T use a turn signal because people will purposely cut you off if they think you want to get ahead of them...

Exactly right. 

The second rule in CA is to poke along in the left lane, and refuse to move over and let faster moving cars pass.  Never saw such poor driving anywhere I've lived, except maybe Utah. 

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »

In CA lane litting is a necessary evil. Dangerous but it helps too much not to do it.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 05:29:06 AM »

I've ridden with Hoist and have done this in NY!

I'll lane split as a last option to maintain my pace in PA and NJ. While not a common practice it is sometimes necessary to get by the three/four lanes of traffic all going the same speed.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »

My favorite lane splitting story is heading southbound on the 805 coming out of Del Mar. Traffic was jammed up so I kicked up my highway pegs (a must if you're gonna do this) and started riding through. A knock-out of a blonde in an open roof Lambo with Texas plates tried to block me, started screamin at me in a high pitched twangy voice that sounded like fingernails on a blackboard to my proper New England diction (ayuh) and just generally lost it. I mean this woman was on the verge of a stroke she was so irate. As stated before, I stopped, looked at her with a huge grin and told her that what I was doing was perfectly legal in California and that she should calm down before she popped a vein in one of her eyes and spoiled her good looks. Well of course that only made her all the madder and I rode away howling with laughter with her venomous screams in the background. Made sure I rapped my Thunderheaders a couple of times before I let out the clutch too   ::)

B B

That's just funny, I had to chuckle!
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

On these California Freeways, your Harley will die a slow death from overheating if you dont do it.. Of course you have the option of pulling over and waiting out the traffic,, but you'll have a long wait..  For the most part lane splitting goes uneventful for me but i have had a few encounters with rude idiots that dont appreciate the law..

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »

the first rule of driving in California traffic? DON"T use a turn signal because people will purposely cut you off if they think you want to get ahead of them...

Exactly right. 

The second rule in CA is to poke along in the left lane, and refuse to move over and let faster moving cars pass.  Never saw such poor driving anywhere I've lived, except maybe Utah. 

This sounds like what goes on in Hawaii now... have all the Californians moved here?

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »

I've only been back in CA two days now and already I am screaming out threats to kill people.... Man, I can't wait to get home...

Hey Hawaii, yes, I guess so because my last trip there I noticed the same thing there... Wasn't that way on any of my past trips out there.

When I tell people out in SD that I lived in California, the first thing they ask is; "You didn't bring any of those bad driving habits out here did you? I sure hope not!", LOL....

jb

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »

I've only been back in CA two days now and already I am screaming out threats to kill people.... Man, I can't wait to get home...

Hey Hawaii, yes, I guess so because my last trip there I noticed the same thing there... Wasn't that way on any of my past trips out there.

When I tell people out in SD that I lived in California, the first thing they ask is; "You didn't bring any of those bad driving habits out here did you? I sure hope not!", LOL....

jb

People here used to drive with "Aloha".. in the last 10 years thats gone out the window...

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

StevesCVO

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »

B B

That's funny chit right there  :huepfenlol2:  :huepfenlol2:

MooseAmos

• Full CVO Member
  • "Damn Few..."

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 - "Louie"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTI - "Harry"
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »

I go out to SoCal for a week's visit every summer & am always envious it's legal to split--would be INCREDIBLY beneficial here in the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area where traffic is absolutely ridiculous...   :soapbox:
- 2012 Black/Slate CVO Street Glide:  Rinehart True Duals; HD Supertuner; LED Headlight/Passing Lamps/Turn Signals; Zumo 665 GPS + XM; 8.5" Klock Werks Shield; Corbin Hollywood Solo; Detachable King TourPak; Heated Grips; etc.

- 2006 Vivid Black Heritage Softail:  SE Exhaust; HD Supertuner; Heavy Breather; Passing Lamps; Corbin Solo; Detachable Ghost Shield/Boss Leather Trunk + Saddle Bags; Lindby Twinbar; etc.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.