Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2015 Indian Scout Released  (Read 8720 times)

mark

2015 Indian Scout Released
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »

$10k Indian Scout added to the lineup for 2015.  Looks Like a cross between the Sportster and the Fatboy.  Water cooled 69 c.i.  Thoughts?

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
Re: 2015 Indian Scout Released
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »

Again it looks like someone from the Victory side of the house broke in at night and modified the drawings. The origami styling of both the sheet metal and the frame sections are just weird - almost like some of the new Honda offerings  :oops:. Especially the area under the seat. What's up with that?? Angularity for the sake of being different.

I also thought that maybe a Scout would be a little lighter than 988 lbs  :o  he** that's as much as my FLHTCUSE6 and more than my '01 FLSTFI.  100HP is going to be needed to move that thing along - I do admit to being impressed that at 69 CU IN the engine is producing 100 HP.

The engine looks good - reminds me of a VMax or if I really squint the Vrod, but.....that radiator shroud has to be rethought - it takes my eyes away from the rest of the bike and not in a good way.

All in all I think that they missed the mark a little with this one  :nixweiss:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

mark

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »

Overall, I thought they did a good job (but after seeing that Roadmaster abortion, maybe my expectations from Indian have been lowered). I don't like what appears to be plastic shrouding the radiator,  the area in front of the gas tank, and beneath the seat.  Would have like to see the fenders and tank rounded, rather than squared (looks Honda-like).  I didn't realize this thing weighs almost 1000 lbs.  Initially, I thought this might be a good choice for a female rider, but the weight may be a problem.  BTW, a Fat Bob is 706 lbs and has a 103.

mark

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »

Again it looks like someone from the Victory side of the house broke in at night and modified the drawings. The origami styling of both the sheet metal and the frame sections are just weird - almost like some of the new Honda offerings  :oops:. Especially the area under the seat. What's up with that?? Angularity for the sake of being different.

I also thought that maybe a Scout would be a little lighter than 988 lbs  :o  he** that's as much as my FLHTCUSE6 and more than my '01 FLSTFI.  100HP is going to be needed to move that thing along - I do admit to being impressed that at 69 CU IN the engine is producing 100 HP.

The engine looks good - reminds me of a VMax or if I really squint the Vrod, but.....that radiator shroud has to be rethought - it takes my eyes away from the rest of the bike and not in a good way.

All in all I think that they missed the mark a little with this one  :nixweiss:

The weight is 558 wet (538 dry).  988 is the Gross Veh Wt Rating (bike, rider, stuff,etc).

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »

Uh, gentlemen, the 988 lb. figure is the GVWR, not the weight of the motorcycle.  The bike itself weighs 538 lb. dry, 558 lbs. wet.  Now what do you think?

Jerry

Btw, I'm not a fan of the tan seats, and yes the plastic covers on the frame and radiator shroud could have been done much better, but you need to remember the price point this bike is in. 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 10:25:34 AM »

Uh, gentlemen, the 988 lb. figure is the GVWR, not the weight of the motorcycle.  The bike itself weighs 538 lb. dry, 558 lbs. wet.  Now what do you think?

Jerry

Btw, I'm not a fan of the tan seats, and yes the plastic covers on the frame and radiator shroud could have been done much better, but you need to remember the price point this bike is in.

:oops: I need to pay better attention to what I'm reading...

That weight is much better and is what I would expect from a Scout. this model is firmly in Sportster 1200 territory - both in terms of  pricing and weight. Although I don't think a Sporty is going to put out 100 HP without some monetary and mechanical intervention. The torque figures are very close  @70 for the Sporty and @72 for the Scout,  however the Sporty peaks at 3500 RPM while the Scout takes 5900 RPM to get there.

Still think it looks to weird  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:38:01 AM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

mark

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »

If looking for a bar hopper and money was a big concern, I'd seriously consider one.  I've never been a Sportster fan. 

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »

Bike looks burley and retro.  Pretty cool.  A legit water-cooled engine means Polaris is looking to 2017 to meet ever-tightening emission standards.  A bold move on their part.  This is another "clean sheet of paper" engine.  Very impressive. 

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »

Posted a couple pics of the scout on another thread and should'a posted it here.  However I like the Scout.  The side pipe is a different offering but as with most things, this too can change with a little effort and moola.  I'm not sure if that's plastic below/behind the seat and behind the triple tree or just part of the frame that's powder coated? 
I like the idea that Indian/Polaris has offerered an actual water cooled engine just one year after Indian's "rebirth".  This gives one to believe that Polaris is truely invested in the Indian name and not just treating the legacy of the Indian nameplate as a passing fad...my two cents

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 02:36:40 PM »

I just don't know about this one. It's price is 11 thousand (OK, 10,999) Sportster 1200 territory. Too expensive to compare to the Streets and too water cooled and plastic to really compare to sprtsters or Dynas.
I guess it's a Retro Vrod.

Every time I look at that engine I'm reminded of this guy.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:48:13 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

LARK

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 11:15:07 PM »

:oops: I need to pay better attention to what I'm reading...

That weight is much better and is what I would expect from a Scout. this model is firmly in Sportster 1200 territory - both in terms of  pricing and weight. Although I don't think a Sporty is going to put out 100 HP without some monetary and mechanical intervention. The torque figures are very close  @70 for the Sporty and @72 for the Scout,  however the Sporty peaks at 3500 RPM while the Scout takes 5900 RPM to get there.

Still think it looks to weird  ;D
All that torque the Indian is making at 5900 rpm means horsepower. Harley can only dream of making that kind of power. There's going to be a lot of hurt feelings reports filed by Sporty owners when the Scout hits the street.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 05:21:53 AM »

All that torque the Indian is making at 5900 rpm means horsepower. Harley can only dream of making that kind of power. There's going to be a lot of hurt feelings reports filed by Sporty owners when the Scout hits the street.
The Indian's numbers are fairly typical of a liquid cooled engines which usually rev higher and spin up faster than an air cooled engine. In that respect we are comparing apples and oranges.

Maybe sporty owners (and the rest of us HD owners) can look at the new Street 500/750 and see the future?

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »

I think its a nice looking ride, and does not look like a metric trying to be a HD.

Watercooled is nice for traffic and this is where this bike will be ridden.  Good Job
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 01:56:15 AM »

To me it doesn't look that bad except they ruined the look with the cheap looking plastic for the rad and under the seat ... should of used color painted pieces to match the bike there. The sides of the engine are also crying for some type of chrome covers.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »

To me it doesn't look that bad except they ruined the look with the cheap looking plastic for the rad and under the seat ... should of used color painted pieces to match the bike there. The sides of the engine are also crying for some type of chrome covers.

I absolutely agree with your conclusion Phantom!
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.