Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy oil pressure "issue" with my new 2017 M8!  (Read 10393 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Crazy oil pressure "issue" with my new 2017 M8!
« on: November 02, 2016, 07:54:54 PM »

So I picked up my new 2017 CVO Limited. I had a 1000 mile ride ahead of me. Full tank and 7 dealer miles on the bike. Transaction is done and I'm ready to go. First 50 miles, I kept the rpms below 3000, avoided lugging the engine and learned my way around the bike. I was in Florida and the temps were 94 degrees at midday and I was heading back to NJ. I increased rpms upto 3500 after the first 50 miles for the next 150 miles.

Time to fill the gas tank at 200 miles. I was filling up at a gas station across the street from a Harley dealer in GA so I figured I would stop in and inspect the bike plus I wanted to find out how to view the air temp on the bike. I couldn't figure it out on the ride.

I pull into the dealer and shut the bike down. That dealership hadn't seen a '17 CVO Limited so they all came out to see it. I asked about air temp and he showed me the info button on the right hand control.  Cool... now I know. Dealer tech notices that the same info screen shows " Oil Pressure" ---- "Check Engine Oil". Ok...tech checks oil and its about 1/2 quart low. Not too big a deal from my perspective. He checks all around and under the bike and everything looks great. No leaking oil. He thinks some oil might have burned past rings during break-in.

OK... but to be safe he calls Harley tech support just to be sure since there's been a few reports of oil issues. They ask if the engine light was on... nope... never came on. They tell the local tech to strongly encourage me NOT to ride the bike so they can open the cam chest the NEXT DAY. WTH. No way. I have 800 miles to go in the next 2days and 200 more miles that afternoon. He breaks off the call with Harley Tech Support.

Local Tech tops off my Syn3 oil. We start the engine. Now the "Oil Pressure" says "OK". We both feel better. Deep sigh, but why did it originally say "Check Engine Oil"???? So we turn off the engine. "Oil Pressure" once again says "Check Engine Oil". Holy Crap. Every single 2017 Rushmore bike tells the rider to "Check Engine Oil" when the engine is off. Simply crazy. Lots of guys are going to think they have a problem. Harley should have never eliminated the oil pressure reading for a stupid "OK". No one would be concerned with 0 pressure with engine off, but "Check Engine Oil" could mean anything since you might not know when it first started. They need to inform new 2017 owners that "Check Engine Oil" doesn't mean you have a problem when the engine is off. It also means they need to better train their own Tech Service Guys before they start ripping open engines. Glad I stood my ground. I had a great 1077 mile ride home. Just got home this afternoon. I'll be giving a full review on the bike in a separate thread. Glad that small "non-issue" is behind me.

no clue

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Re: Crazy oil pressure "issue" with my new 2017 M8!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »

Did you read your owners manual before the trip? Usually a good idea.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:20:36 PM »

Have you seen the new 2017 CVO LIMITED owners manual? (Theres actually 2 very large manuals) Its hrs of reading. I did a complete checkout with the Dealer Customer Rep. Spent almost 45 mins reviewing bike. Its not my first CVO Ultra so I'm familiar with many of the controls. I read the manual my first night on the road. You tell me if this would have helped....

"Press the information switch to show status and measurements....
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE: Displays the engine oil pressure as "OK" or "Not OK". If "Check Oil" displays, immediately stop the engine and check oil level".

Would that owner's manual instruction have informed you what do do with a message that displays "OIL PRESSURE : Check Engine Oil" with the Engine OFF???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:24:22 PM by Heatwave »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 08:58:19 AM »

Since there never will be any oil pressure with the engine not running, it makes no sense to even try to check it.  I can't imagine what the designer of that system had in mind when he added that "check oil level" statement, but I'm thinking he or his boss need to rethink the whole thing.  To me it would make more sense to offer a separate "low oil level" idiot light, like some cars have had over the years, that only alerts you when there really is a low oil level.  Of course that would mean they would have to spend some money to install an actual sensor.  Perhaps they could use the money they saved by eliminating a real oil pressure sending unit? ;)

I'm still waiting for someone to connect a mechanics pressure gauge to one of these things to see what kind of oil pressure they actually run, especially at hot idle.  With a lower idle speed than the Twin Cams, I would expect the hot idle oil pressure to be very low.  Probably why they eliminated the real oil pressure gauge.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »

Since there never will be any oil pressure with the engine not running, it makes no sense to even try to check it.  I can't imagine what the designer of that system had in mind when he added that "check oil level" statement, but I'm thinking he or his boss need to rethink the whole thing.  To me it would make more sense to offer a separate "low oil level" idiot light, like some cars have had over the years, that only alerts you when there really is a low oil level.  Of course that would mean they would have to spend some money to install an actual sensor.  Perhaps they could use the money they saved by eliminating a real oil pressure sending unit? ;)

I'm still waiting for someone to connect a mechanics pressure gauge to one of these things to see what kind of oil pressure they actually run, especially at hot idle.  With a lower idle speed than the Twin Cams, I would expect the hot idle oil pressure to be very low.  Probably why they eliminated the real oil pressure gauge.

Jerry
There actually is a low oil light on the dash in addition to the check engine oilmessage in the information screen. According to the tech at HD, the low oil light and the "check engine oil" message are supposed to be synched. It would be interesting to hear if other M8 owner's bike say "check engine oil" when their engines are off.

Interestingly, the GA tech also wanted to put an oil pressure gauge on the running engine. It requires a special fitting that their shop didn't have yet so he couldn't check it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:18:46 AM by Heatwave »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »

There actually is a low oil light on the dash in addition to the check engine oilmessage in the information screen. According to the tech at HD, the low oil light and the "check engine oil" message are supposed to be synched. It would be interesting to hear if other M8 owner's bike say "check engine oil" when their engines are off.

Interestingly, the GA tech also wanted to put an oil pressure gauge on the running engine. It requires a special fitting that their shop didn't have yet so he couldn't check it.
Glad you didn't let them tear into a perfectly good engine!  Yes, when mine is not running the info screen does say 'check engine oil.'  I've also noticed that the first time I press the info to check temp, oil, etc., it ALWAYS says 'check engine oil' for maybe a half second then switches to 'OK.'  Doesn't matter if I just started it up and am at idle or if I've ridden 1 mile or 100 miles - the first time I check it always does this.  And it will do it again each time after I shut it off and start back up.  Just the way the system is I guess.  All is OK and the dash light has never come on. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »

Maybe the MOCO just over reacts now after all the 110 years. ;D Maybe just shows how protective they are now with there new design. :nixweiss:

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »

How is having this default to "Check Engine Oil" any different than when the idiot lights all come on at power up? Like the Oil Indicator, Check Engine or ABS. Once you cycle through power up or roll down the road they all clear out.

DH

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »

How is having this default to "Check Engine Oil" any different than when the idiot lights all come on at power up? Like the Oil Indicator, Check Engine or ABS. Once you cycle through power up or roll down the road they all clear out.

DH

I would say the main difference is that there's no way to know if the "Check engine oil" status is referring to an event from the last time the bike was running or is just a default when the engine isn't running. I'm now confident (I think??) it really means nothing unless the low engine oil light is also ON.

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.