Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Normal running temp on a CVO + Liquid Cooled Heads  (Read 18280 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Re: Normal running temp on a CVO + Liquid Cooled Heads
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »

257°F oil temperature is perfectly fine and absolutely no reason for alarm.  Use a good quality synthetic oil and don't worry about it.

Jerry

:2vrolijk_21:
Will

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »

I would only start to worry if your oil temp goes past 275.   Mine used to get above that. I add a fan assisted oil cooler, Ward's fans, TTS tuner, and a Dyno tune.  It runs about 35* cooler.  When the warranty is up I will do new cams and oil pump.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

jpswino

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 Ultra Violet Street Glide with Lava Flames
    • CVO2: Backyard Choppers
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »

Keep in mind ideal oil temps should go above the boiling point of water in order to evaporate condensation in your system. I deal temps therefore must be above 212F or 100C. I don't think you should have concerns under 240-250F. Above that and you may need some assistance.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »

The design spec for the Twin Cam engines was 230°F oil temperature at a standard ambient air temperature, roughly 70°F.  That was back before the engines got bigger and the tune for emissions made them run hotter.  These days, I'd expect a stock bike to run over 240°F oil temp, and go up from there when the ambient temps are higher and riding conditions are less than ideal.  A good synthetic oil will easily handle well over 300°F.  Ideally I'd like to keep it under 250, but it's not something I worry about.  I don't even have one of those unreliable dipsticks, and don't feel the need to check oil temps anyway.  As I've mentioned before to all those who obsess over oil temps and want to be able to constantly monitor them, what do you plan to do if your oil temp exceeds your personal idea of a good maximum, pull over and park for an hour or two to let things cool down, or use some common sense?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 02:46:16 PM »

The design spec for the Twin Cam engines was 230°F oil temperature at a standard ambient air temperature, roughly 70°F.  That was back before the engines got bigger and the tune for emissions made them run hotter.  These days, I'd expect a stock bike to run over 240°F oil temp, and go up from there when the ambient temps are higher and riding conditions are less than ideal.  A good synthetic oil will easily handle well over 300°F.  Ideally I'd like to keep it under 250, but it's not something I worry about.  I don't even have one of those unreliable dipsticks, and don't feel the need to check oil temps anyway.  As I've mentioned before to all those who obsess over oil temps and want to be able to constantly monitor them, what do you plan to do if your oil temp exceeds your personal idea of a good maximum, pull over and park for an hour or two to let things cool down, or use some common sense?

Jerry

Additional thoughts to the preceding posts, I'm thinking you are running a little hot because the motor is still relatively new since you haven't even done your 1st 1,000 mile oil service yet.

There's lots of pieces and parts including rings that need to seat and wear in. After you change the oil AND the primary and transmission fluids (my own personal preference) things should start to be somewhat cooler. Installing a tuner and catless header and freer flowing mufflers will be value adds.

I am assuming your thermal cooling fans were coming on and you may have experienced "parade mode" where the rear cylinder in the motor stops firing and the motor runs rough and sounds funny when you are stopped and starts smoothing out again when your RPM's are above 1,000 (I personally hate this feature).

I am currently experiencing the same thing on my 2015 CVO Street Glide.

Regards

Jerry (also)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:15:03 PM by CVOStreetglide »

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »

I've been caught several times in bumper to bumper traffic in 95 degree days on my Limited 103.  I had a HD dipstick gauge on it till it quit and have frequently seen temps above 280 F.  I run Mobil 1 oil for this reason and change about every 3000-4000 miles in summer.  Tend to not get too concerned until motor starts to develop a miss and pressure at idle gets extremely low.  Needless to say my legs are roasting by this point between ambient temp and exhaust heat.  Guess I need a parade fan for these situations.  Rode bike about a hundred miles one day in 105 degree temps and oil stayed below 260 as I was able to keep moving.  Think my Limited runs a little hot anyway.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »

Thanks for the info
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »

Thanks for the info

SUGGESTION: You should consider taking your bike to Rosa's Cycle and letting Andrew do his thing.

ZVO

• Dark Platimum? That’s Silver and Black
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHXSE - Gone
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE - Gone
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »

SUGGESTION: You should consider taking your bike to Rosa's Cycle and letting Andrew do his thing.

I will google Rosa's cycle can you elaborate?
The Autumn Wind is a pirate.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »

Rosa Cycle in Huntington is one of the best Indy shops in our area for motor work and Dyno tuning! I had some motor work done there in 2007 on my 2002 Heritage Springer. I still have the bike and it runs freaking awesome! I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for motor work and or dyno tuning. Rosa's is a no BS very professional motorcycle shop.

CVO Streetglide is suggesting you take your bike there and get it Dyno'd after you upgrade your exhaust system and add a fuel management system. Or... have them do it up for you. which will get pricey for sure. You'll save yourself a few bucks if you install the exhaust system and fuel management yourself which they will modify on the dyno machine. It will run 100% better and cooler.

FYI They have there own fuel management system they like to use, I forget what its called?  Andrew also likes the HD SE Race Tuner as well.

www.rosascycle.com    check them out.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:03:17 PM by East Coast »

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 07:04:23 PM »

Rosa Cycle in Huntington is one of the best Indy shops in our area for motor work and Dyno tuning! I had some motor work done there in 2007 on my 2002 Heritage Springer. I still have the bike and it runs freaking awesome! I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for motor work and or dyno tuning. Rosa's is a no BS very professional motorcycle shop.

CVO Streetglide is suggesting you take your bike there and get it Dyno'd after you upgrade your exhaust system and add a fuel management system. Or... have them do it up for you. which will get pricey for sure. You'll save yourself a few bucks if you install the exhaust system and fuel management yourself which they will modify on the dyno machine. It will run 100% better and cooler.

FYI They have there own fuel management system they like to use, I forget what its called?  Andrew also likes the HD SE Race Tuner as well.

www.rosascycle.com    check them out.

You're dead on regarding the message I was trying to convey.  As you well know Andrew has some strong opinions regarding what exhaust and tuning parts will work the best. If I were closer, I would drop mine off.

I think you'll agree that he should just tell Andrew what you want to accomplish (cooler, run better, more performance--etc.) NOT how or what to use to do it.

Down here we have the famous DOC who can twist a good wrench as well and he's closer.

Regards

Jerry

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 12:02:33 AM »

Jerry,
Yes, Andrew definitely has strong opinions about his motor work/performance upgrades and agree it would be wise not to tell him how to do it, lol. When I dropped my Springer off I told him what I was looking for out of the motor and he suggested the cams to use and rebuilt the top end around it and the dyno was perect. A lot of R&D goes on there and one would be foolish to not listen to his advice.

I hear nothing but good things about DOC, lucky for you he is nearby. Did you relocate to Fla from the Island?

Have a great weekend, Erich

CVOSGJoe

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »

ZVO.....   If you looking for the best upgrade without needing a Indy/dealer tune/dyno, check out Fuel Moto and aquire the 2-1-2 header, some slip-ons and the PV-2 tuner with a FM map that will come with it and I can guarantee you will be a very happy camper.  (Of course till you read around and find out with cams you can get more, and then head work gets you even more and so on).....  But seriously Jamie has a map for that bike that will cool it down and get you in the high 88+ for HP and 106+ for tq.   Ask me how I know.  Jamie and the boys at FM know there chit!!!
'17 CVO Street Glide w/117 kit.. more mods to come
SOLD-'15 CVO Street Glide. H.C. Mercury Mods are: FM 2-1-2 ceramic header, E-Series FM slip-ons, PV-2, 110 tweaked by Fuel Moto, Detachable Tour-Pak, Heated Seat & Grips and the list goes on....

harleyrules

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 SE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 Low Rider S
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »

I will be moving to Florida Very Shortly.  Can someone give me information on "DOC"?

I will also try doing a search,  thanks for the help.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »

I will be moving to Florida Very Shortly.  Can someone give me information on "DOC"?

I will also try doing a search,  thanks for the help.
TTS V-Tuner Member Discount

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.889 seconds with 21 queries.