Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: What was your first motorcycle and the circumstances behind it?  (Read 45195 times)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: What was your first motorcycle and the circumstances behind it?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »

My first was a Honda mini trail 50. I didn't take any pics cause I was to busy ridin the wheels off it. :huepfenlol2: It was my answer to parents saying we can't afford it so you have to get a job and buy it yourself. Well that didn't work I know they had to be saying after I showed up with it. Seems like it was a little over $100. Although just a few years ago we were in a Honda store and above the sales floor they had a line up of many of Honda's bikes over the years. I noticed they had two of the Honda 50's, one was BLUE. I said man I always wanted the blue and silver one. He says I actually bought that one restored. He paid $2000. WOW

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »

Here's the first hit of the drug. My mother told my father it would be a waste of  money like all the other toys we play with for a while and then discard. Boy was she ever wrong. Sort of reminds you of the Dyna line doesn't it?? :P Got tires just like my Fatbob.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:21:56 PM by Dr.D »

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »

First bike when I was about 14 was a Rupp minibike similar to the pic below with 5 hp motor, motorcycle carb and no govenor.  State was building a new divided highway near our house and we had some awsome trails, jumps and hill climb spots with a bunch of other Honda 50's and Trail 70's.  After about a 40 year break due to life interferences, my wife and I bought a neighbors Yamaha VStar 250.  It was fun but outgrew it quickly and moved on to cruisers.  Made the progression to Kawa Vulcan, HD Limited to CVO RGU.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:55:09 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »

Here's the first hit of the drug. My mother told my father it would be a waste of  money like all the other toys we play with for a while and then discard. Boy was she ever wrong. Sort of reminds you of the Dyna line doesn't it?? :P Got tires just like my Fatbob.

Dang, that brings back memories!  I spent a LOT of time on a red one just like that way back when!
A Dyna!  That's a hoot!   :zroflmao:
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »

This was my first bike, a '66 Bridgestone 50 Sport.

My dad was a mechanic all his life and we had moved off the road to stay put for a while.  He was a mechanic for a very large construction company our of Ann Arbor MI back in the late '50s through the early '60s.  We move from road building job to the next road building job.  I went to 11 different schools before we settled down in our home town area in the middle of my 7th grade.

So to keep me occupied in the summer, we lived on a lake, he got a gas pump and 275 gallon tank from his nephew and put it in down by the lake in front of the house.  We built a dock and I started to sell gas on the lake.  He bought my first tank and case of oil and then at the end of the summer I paid him back.

Well at the time I didn't realize all the people my folks knew and how many of them wanted my dad to look at their outboards etc.  So along with the little gas pump, we had a little building that I stocked spark plugs, some ski ropes and misc items that they could buy from me instead of walking up town to the hardware store.

So after a year of this, the building got bigger and we ended up putting up a building up behind our house on the blacktop road around the lake.  This turned eventually into a pretty good size marine business and I was the mechanic.  It still amazes me how older people back then would trust their motor etc to a "kid", me.  But they knew my dad and that was good enough for them.  You would not get away with that today.

Anyway, my cousins that lived out of the village a couple miles had some money and wanted to buy small motorcycles for themselves.  So my dad took on Bridgestone bikes and he had to buy four I believe to get the dealership.  A 60 Sport went to one cousin and to his brother went a 90 Trail with dual rear sprockets...  I only had the 50 Sport as a demo and didn't really get to do with it what I wanted, but hey, I was riding and only 15.  We eventually sold Johnson, Mercury, Artic Cat, Polaris, Crest pontoons, and a bunch of other stuff.

So the 50 Sport was my start.  We didn't have a lot of money and I was always wheeling and dealing to get bikes of some sort.  I'm still doing the same thing.  :)

My first Harley came when I was about 18.

This was a '56 KH.  The H I believe was the stroker motor with a 3/4" longer stroke than the stock 750 flathead.  I paid $50 for this and that was a LOT of money to me.

Hope I didn't bore you all with my ramblings.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 07:05:45 PM »

1st one 1968 trail horse mini bike 3hp techumseh [sp]  I was 8 and it was bigger than life, I bought Mini Bike Guide magazine every month livin large real large, then in 71 got a Rupp Scrambler. I still love mini bikes. 1st motorcycle SL 100 Honda about a 71 model used with a locked up motor, 1st engine I ever did a complete on. anybody into minibikes check out minidoodle.com. still have a 69 Rupp roadster shriner special all chromed up with factory windshield both horns, highway bar, original motor great shape.
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

Kent

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 08:12:46 PM »

I don't remember the year but it was a Harley 50cc two stroke with a 3 speed twist grip shifter and clutch on the same left handle bar been in love ever since

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »

1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim.  Bought it off a buddy's roommate at my first USAF assignment in FL, in 1986.  Got the 10-second intro, told to stay on base, and took to it like water. Took the bike to Germany, and sold it in '90 when I went to Turkey. 

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »

1st one 1968 trail horse mini bike 3hp techumseh [sp]  I was 8 and it was bigger than life,

Isn't it amazing?  I remember thinking the same thing about motorcycles.  I remember looking at the metric big fours in the bike magazines, but the Honda CB750 and the Kawasaki 750 triple and Kawasaki 900 four are forever etched in my mind from the 70's as bigger than life.  To me back then, they were positively huge motorcycles!  I remember thinking that I'd never be big enough to handle one!  Funny how things change and how we perceive things at an early age...
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 09:21:58 PM »

it all started at 10 years old, my older cousin had a honda 50 mini trail, he taught me how to ride it, and let me have it for the summer. at 12 i bought my first mini bike w/5hp, at 16 a 72 450 honda, at 18 my first new bike a 79 kz 650, had two of them, then a kz900 ltd (first year for the LTD and last year for the 900) then the kids came into the picture...so it was back to a honda 50. bought my first harley in 2011. thanks for bringing out the trip down memory lane  :) :)
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 09:32:10 PM »

1971 Suzuki TR-250----bought it new for $500 with money earned working in a fast food drive-in flippin burgers and making fries.  Put 25000 miles on it during high school and college, as I didn't have a car.  I  still have it and it still runs great.  Riiinnnnggggg   Ding Ding----  Have thought of selling it several times, but too many memories say "don't sell it"
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »

Not sure of the year but my first was a blue Honda ct 70. Dad bought it for my brother and me, and we rode that thing to death all over our farm. And after 40 years I broke down and got another one. An orange 1970 70h 4speed, I love it but it sure is a lot smaller and slower than I remember. I had 2 friends back then, 1 had a go cart and the other had a Honda 3 wheeler and we would get together whenever we could and switch rides. Didn't know at the time that those were some of the best times we would ever have, good ole days. Boy do I sound old or what, haha.
Craig

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 01:16:12 AM »

All my friends had bikes and my folks where not thrilled with my fate in the hands of others when I road on the back.  They finally caved and said I could buy my own if I promised never to take a passenger.  I work as a busboy and waiter at a drive in for almost a year before I had $500 for my first bike.  I was looking at some used ones but my father thought they looked iffy.  So one day my mother handed me an envelope and told me I needed to take it to my dads office and give it to him since I was meeting him for lunch that day.   Well on the way to lunch we where driving past a bike shop and my eye where glued to the front window and he asked me what I was looking at?  I said the bikes in the window.  He said do you want to take a closer look, knowing the answer. I said SURE!  We went in and I was in love with the Suzuki t350 rebel. But it was out of my price range.  I being a typical 16 year old, I had total space off the envelope in my back pocket.  My dad asked me if I would prefer a new over the used ones I had been looking at.  I looked at him like it was a totally stupid question because they had told me I had to buy the bike with my own hard earned money and he knew I only had a little over $500 save so far.  He said I could afford it and I look at him like he was nuts.  He asked me if I had something I was supposed to give him.  Ahh yeah, feeling a little stupid for forgetting about it.  He opened the envelope and pulled out $800 cash an he told me the he would loan me the difference because I had work so long and had made it most of the way.  I purchased the bike for $725 out the door. I was a sophomore in high school and I rode it almost ever day some times inthe snow.  I sold just after graduation to buy a car for college.  I did not get another bike until I was almost forty after divorcing my first wife.  She was totally against my buying a bike.  Right after the divorce I bought a dirt bike just to spite her, she was afraid that I would kill myself and not be able to pay her alimony and child support.  After riding in the dirt for a year or so I bought a 750 Magna. I loved the look on her face the first time I pulled up on a street bike. Now she was really pissed. None of my friend had bikes but the all wanted to ride again.  With in a year my 5 closest buddies all bought bikes.  So in the last 20 years I have had 6 street machines.  Lots of mile and good times.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:43:29 PM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 04:06:33 AM »

Found my first one at the back of a garage when I was walking along some rail tracks it was covered in vines, all I could see of it was the left hand grip. I was curios so I hopped the back fence to take a look and there it was a complete bike. I went to the house and asked if he would sale it. He said that old thing! if you want it give me 20 and it's yours but you have to move it. I shot home told my dad that I had just bought a motor bike he said what kind of bike I replied, It's called a Panther a 1936/39 350cc. I was 18 I tore down the motor had new bushes made up at the local machine shop, cleaned it all up and that was that she ran like a top.

The pic is the replica of what I had that I found in the Panther diary

Lone Rider

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Softail Deluxe 2014
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 06:41:07 AM »

49cc Velocette (pedal start)

No pics but I'll keep looking….

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.