Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Insanely Stupid Move!  (Read 9034 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Insanely Stupid Move!
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:47:16 AM »

I had a all time winner today. I went for a a pastrami sandwich today which was 150 miles away from me. As I have posted before here I lost 165 lbs almost 4 years ago and the way I keep it off is I diet hard Monday through Saturday but gorge myself all day Sunday (I know, sounds crazy and unhealthy but it is what works for me at this time) and will usually ride for my "big meal" somewhere 100 to 200 miles away to really make the day fun for me. When I was coming back I was trying to re set my "range" on my bike because when I put the 124 in a few months ago I also put in a Dakota Digital small gauge (reads oil temp, oil pressure, voltage and fuel level) that replaced my oil pressure gauge and it hasn't worked since. My tech thought it was because he split the fuel sending wire to send to the new gauge so he un did that and told me to go from full to as empty as possible to re set it. I was on the freeway and it did work and the range showed "low fuel" so I took the next off ramp and started looking for a station. I had trouble finding a station and was starting to et nervous when I saw a 76 station. I filled up and followed my nav out when I started to smell gas and when I look down (on the freeway on ramp), yep I did it, no gas cap! I took the next exit with gas spraying all over the place (I always fill it to the absolute max) and when I came up the the stoplight I tried to lean the bike to the left (No I don't know what i was thinking) and over it went right in the middle of the road! I tried to pick it up myself because my adrenaline was pumping like mad and I bent my handlebars (Chubby 12 1/2 inch 502's) but couldn't get my bike up. Some idiot 20 something guys started yelling at me to pick my bike up and I went nuts and started yelling at the punks to quit being idiots and help me which of course they didn't! Luckily for me a guy my age got out and helped me get it back up because I think he thought us old guys have to stick together and probably thought those young guys were going to kill me which Im sure they thought about. So now I really have gas all over the place and I  can't find the da-- gas station with all the 1 way streets in Dana Point by the beach. I was in full panic mode and unbelievably pissed off at the world and especially myself that i now had a bent handlebar which I wasn't sure if I could even ride it on the freeway like that. Finally I did get back on the freeway going back past where I got off in the first place (bike ran fine though uncomfortable) and re traced my route to the station where my gas cap was still sitting on the pump. Felony stupid for sure!!
Sorry for being so long winded but I had to tell someone and I sure as hell won't tell anyone in my family about this, I would never hear the end of it!!
Alan

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Insanely Stupid Move!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 01:39:03 AM »

I've screwed up simpler $hit than that before... :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 02:14:25 AM »

I'm just glad you and your bike are okay!     :2vrolijk_21:   S--t happens.     :o

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »

Dropped my flush mount gas cap while filling up, and decided that stuffing a doo-rag in the opening was a great idea for the 50 mile ride to the nearest dealer.....all I needed was a spark for a rolling Molotov cocktail.....😜🔫 💣
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:43:37 AM »

it gets overwhelming at times, laugh it off as lesson learned.  :drink:

so how was the sandmich?

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:55:30 AM »

Brother, we ALL know about stupid!  I'm glad you and that beautiful bike are ok, and that's what matters. 

I also understand about panicking when the bike tips over.  The key there is to 1) not hurt yourself trying to pick her up, and 2) don't hurt her either in the process!  A bent handlebar sucks, but it's better than a bike that caught on fire! 

Live and learn!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »

There is nothing in what you describe that couldn't happen to most of us. At the end of a 10 day adventure I forgot to put my feet down during two consecutive stops! No excuses, no reason, just brain f@rt I guess. Felt real stupid but at least had my riding buddies around to help me get the bike back up. The downside of having my buddies around? For the rest of the ride (thankfully only the last 200 miles left to cover) one of the guys would change lanes and ride up next to me at every stop yelling 'Cam, feet down on the ground! feet down on the ground!'.

Lucky Doug

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »

Sorry, I don't believe this is in the insanely stupid category. More like a brain fart compounded by over-reacting. Happens to everybody. Glad it didn't get serious.

Hope you will be able to look back and laugh about it soon.

Edit: Hope you got your pastrami. I would ride 150 for a good one too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:22:09 AM by Lucky Doug »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 10:48:43 AM »

I've never done anything like that....nope....never...not a chance...well,not that I'll admit to!

Well....after filling up I forgot to put the cap on a Tidy Tank in the back of my truck....hit the hiway....and 'sprayed' diesel all over the camping gear in the back of the truck and two quads on the trailer.

And then there's the time.....
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »

Don't know what the rest of it was as I stopped reading at "lost 165 pounds."  F'n awesome  :drink: .

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 11:10:46 AM »

Sorry to hear about this Alan.  It's kind of like going down.....if you ride much it's not a matter of "if" but more a matter of "when?".  I'm sure those that have rode all their life and ride 20k-30k a year have at some time or another left their cap sitting on top of the gas pump.

But I'm thinking we need a "follies" thread where we can all post bone head chit like this that we've experienced.  We'll let Dayne66 start that thread.  :bananarock:

Just sent you a text a few minutes ago asking if you want some company on your ride today. :P  I'll pick the bike up, you deal with the youngsters. :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 11:41:09 AM »

You know they say that BS comes in threes, sounds like you got it all out of the way at once, ride on brother
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 12:08:15 AM »

it gets overwhelming at times, laugh it off as lesson learned.  :drink:

so how was the sandmich?

TN
Amazing! Place is called "The Hat" and just about the best pastrami sandwich I have ever had including New York which I know is a hell of a claim.
Not good enough to go through that though but I guess as has been said, could have been way worse.
Alan

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 02:44:23 AM »

I did the same exact thing on my way to Daytona this year. So being the long time owner of an HVAC company, I always have duct tape with me. Yep... I road at least through two tanks using duct tape as a gas cap. Finally hit a harley dealership and purchased a cap.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 05:56:24 AM »

WOW !! That's a long day for sure !!! Glade all is well now !!!
DND
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.