Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Scary wobble  (Read 6540 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Scary wobble
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 09:14:07 PM »

WAY to much weight to balance the tires. Bad tires or wheels. Tires have a chalk arrow when new which needs to be opposite of the valve stem. I or two weights s all it ever takes. Dyna beads will not solve that weight issue.

Well all I can say is I can do 70 to 90mph in complete control zero wobble 90 was the test speed it's rare I go over 80mph so if I'm running smooth in the 65 to 90 mph range I'm a happy roller  :bananarock:

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 09:32:27 PM »

What chalk arrow?  I have never seen a one, maybe I'm missing something.  I do know the tire companies put a painted dot that indicates the lightest section of the tire therefore it should be near the valve stem.  I agree on the weights being to much, however I have seen 5 to 6 on a regular basis and have seen up to 8 on a front wheel.  It's not right but it gets done on a regular basis. 

I balance my own wheels and rotate the tire so it will be at a point requiring the least amount of weight.  I also have had excellent results with Dyna beads. 

It doesn't take much for these bikes to go into the dreaded wobble. 

Glad you solved yours

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »

What chalk arrow?  I have never seen a one, maybe I'm missing something.  I do know the tire companies put a painted dot that indicates the lightest section of the tire therefore it should be near the valve stem.  I agree on the weights being to much, however I have seen 5 to 6 on a regular basis and have seen up to 8 on a front wheel.  It's not right but it gets done on a regular basis. 

I balance my own wheels and rotate the tire so it will be at a point requiring the least amount of weight.  I also have had excellent results with Dyna beads. 

It doesn't take much for these bikes to go into the dreaded wobble. 

Glad you solved yours

Thanks RayG  and yes that was a lot of weight couldn't believe it my self.

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »

A new 15 CVO, no weights on the front wheel, two on the rear wheel, they are actually a chrome finish.

Bike is smooth.

Those were a lot of weights to balance the wheel/tire.

Glad you smoothed out, shouldn't take too much wt to balance unless there are/is another issue.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 12:44:34 PM »

I've had two Dunlop tires that were defective from the get go.  Did not cause anything like this wobble but I could definitely feel that something was wrong.  I would suspect a bad tire since the problem happened just after the install.

I agree, a brand new tire can be "bad", I'm on my 4th set of front/rear tires and I've had the first and third rear tire and the 4th front tire that were "defunct" (service managers term) brand new .
The first hint was 3 ounces of weights, the second was an uneasy "wandering" feeling.
Manually spinning the rim/tire on a balancer showed that tires "balanced", but weren't "round" and would wobble side to side.

I've never had any issues with any other tires, just these "CVO" Dunlop tires.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:46:12 PM by xsdbs »

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »

had a similar occurrence on Sunday...accelerated to change lanes to around 75 - 80 and go into a curve and suddenly a very bad nearly uncontrollable wobble, nearly sideswiped the car I was passing before I regained control.  it lasted several seconds but it seemed like an eternity...all i can say is i was lucky that day.  do not know what was wrong, but i am looking for it
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »

The weights Colin took off,  on the left are from the rear wheel the other the front

From the looks of the weights and your report Dyna Beads fixed it an idiot balanced your tire first go around.  I would ask for a refund on the balance part.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »

This may or may not be of use, But i had a problem with my 03 Lowrider it did the same as your bike, i spent $ on new tyres, had it at the Dealer no good still there.
One day after a wash i took it around the block and noticed that the horn was shaking around more than usual.

Once at home after checking i found that one of the bolts that holds the bracket between the heads had fallen out, this allowed the engine to move across the frame and as the swing arm is bolted to the trans the whole drive train moves around.
Fitted two new bolts now it perfect.  :2vrolijk_21:
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.