Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Best Tires for 2015 SERG? Dunlop American Elite's or Michelin Commander II's??  (Read 8882 times)

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens

It's time to order new tires for my 2015 FLTRUSE and wondering what experience others have had upgrading to American Elite's or Michelin Commander II's? At 13k miles, my stock Dunlop's have perhaps 1-2k left with the rears cupped so badly they "howl" when leaning into a turn. I've had the same cupping problem on my previous touring bikes (2010 FLHTK, 2011 FLTRUSE) even when taking great care to keep the tire pressure at 40psi. Most of our miles are 2 up and with luggage. Appreciate your thoughts. Here's a pic showing the cupping on the rear tire:
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010

I'll be facing the same decision someday on my 14..  On my 2010, I like you changed out the stock tires due to the rear cupping badly and howling and put on the American Elites.  Wore them out and put on Michelin commanders and then had accident so they were only on around 5,000 miles.  I have Michelins on three cars and a pickup so you can see what I think about the brand.  That being said, I will probably put American Elites on my 14 when due as they are made in New York and not in the south Pacific as the Commanders are.  I thought that all 3 tires wore, handled, and rode well.  I don't think you can go wrong with either the Commanders or Elites.  If the truth were known, the stock Dunlops are made to Harley's specs, thus the cupping problem.   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

I was put riding today and stopped by Riders Harley Davidson in Trussville Alabama.  Thought I would check tire prices since I'm about due.  Went to the service department told the guy looking for 180-65-16 rear tire. Harley Brand $301.00 plus tax plus $90.00 install. After picking myself up of the floor I said what about an American elite. Great tire he says you need to go to parts department to price it. So I go to the other end of the store tell the parts guy what I am looking for. He said I will be right back need to go upstairs and see if I have one. Gets on a elevator and is gone about 5 minutes returns tire in tow. I ask for best price. He looks it up $265.90 plus $90 install and proceeds to tell me what a deal he is giving me as the tire lists for $354.00 but he has a whole stack so priced them to sell. He also told me the AE has a high load rating than the HD tire.  I am still having sticker shock but I ask can you put it on now. Oh no we can't put in on till Saturday and its first come first serve do get here early.

Right like I'm even coming back. At least I got a new parts book and a reminder of why I really don't like most dealerships. eBay price is $206.00 delivered and I think I can do better if I keep looking.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:36:21 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White

Jake Wilson usually has the best pricing on tires.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens

a reminder of why I really don't like most dealerships.
Apparently I'm fortunate here in Grand Junction as my dealer quoted me $520 including tax and installation for F+R Michelin's. I'll ask about the AE but expect similar. Just wondering which tire manufacturer worked the best to avoid the rear tire cupping on a touring bike?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Well checked with the dealer in Oxford that built a EVO motor for me, Mt Cheha Harley Davidson.  Turns out they are selling tires at cost this spring.  Getting the rear installed today at 1:00 PM $265.00 mounted balanced and tax.

Hell of a deal as the tire was going to run me $206.00 best price I could find.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:03:42 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010

Well checked with the dealer in Oxford that built a EVO motor for me, Mt Cheha Harley Davidson.  Turns out they are selling tires at cost this spring.  Getting the rear installed today at 1:00 PM $265.00 mounted balanced and tax.

Hell of a deal as the tire was going to run me $206.00 best price I could find.  :2vrolijk_21:

You did great !

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

You did great !

Now the rest of the story. Compensator was clunking so they are replacing it under warranty. While its down adding a chrome inner primary.  Zero labor $304.00.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

TomBolt16CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2004 Road King Custom

I recently took the plunge and went with the Commander II's.  The reviews on this site were favorable, but the reviews on Google, Amazon and Yelp were equally great!  I just put them on my CVO Street Glide last week.  So, we'll see about the longevity I'm hearing about.  :-)

My first impressions are very good.  First, I really like the aggressive tread design.  That's what caused me to go with these tires over the American Elites.  The tires do seem to track the road quite well.  I also noticed they are quiet.  I took the bike out on some twisties this past weekend.  The bike performed very well.  I pushed the tires a little but not as much as I usually do.  350 miles later I'm still very happy.

I live in Southern CA so everything is expensive.  Installed my new set, front and rear, came to $600 with disposal fees and taxes.  If they last 15,000 miles I'll be pretty happy with that purchase.  Anything over is a bonus!

Good luck with your purchase as well!
2016 CVO Street Glide, Twin-Cooled. Vance & Hines Power Duals w/HO mufflers. Dynojet Tune: 106HP, 126TQ. HD 4 in. Daymaker Projector LED auxiliary lamps. Öhlins suspension, front forks cartridge kit (FKS 226) and rear shocks (HD772).  Custom Dynamics LED turn signal inserts.  Michelin Commander 3's.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black

I was put riding today and stopped by Riders Harley Davidson in Trussville Alabama.  Thought I would check tire prices since I'm about due.  Went to the service department told the guy looking for 180-65-16 rear tire. Harley Brand $301.00 plus tax plus $90.00 install. After picking myself up of the floor I said what about an American elite. Great tire he says you need to go to parts department to price it. So I go to the other end of the store tell the parts guy what I am looking for. He said I will be right back need to go upstairs and see if I have one. Gets on a elevator and is gone about 5 minutes returns tire in tow. I ask for best price. He looks it up $265.90 plus $90 install and proceeds to tell me what a deal he is giving me as the tire lists for $354.00 but he has a whole stack so priced them to sell. He also told me the AE has a high load rating than the HD tire.  I am still having sticker shock but I ask can you put it on now. Oh no we can't put in on till Saturday and its first come first serve do get here early.

Right like I'm even coming back. At least I got a new parts book and a reminder of why I really don't like most dealerships. eBay price is $206.00 delivered and I think I can do better if I keep looking.

Rider’s is one of my local dealers, you’re right the only thing reasonably priced there is in the vending machine.  Their sister store in Pelham (Heart of Dixie) is the same way.

I know this will irritate some but I usually go there to see parts in person or try on riding gear, then go home and order from Surdyke.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!

Thats a heck of a price. I just put a new AE on the back and thinking it was that same 206 with free shipping, I pulled the tire, and a local indy mounted and balanced for 40. Your right at that price and just had to ride it in. Great deal for you
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

It's time to order new tires for my 2015 FLTRUSE and wondering what experience others have had upgrading to American Elite's or Michelin Commander II's? At 13k miles, my stock Dunlop's have perhaps 1-2k left with the rears cupped so badly they "howl" when leaning into a turn. I've had the same cupping problem on my previous touring bikes (2010 FLHTK, 2011 FLTRUSE) even when taking great care to keep the tire pressure at 40psi. Most of our miles are 2 up and with luggage. Appreciate your thoughts. Here's a pic showing the cupping on the rear tire:

Can't comment on the Commanders, but on my 2nd AE on the rear, and still running my 1st AE on the front. Front has wore very well. Rear had some strange wear patterns to it, but had lasted way beyond what I ever got out of the original Dunlop tire. So far been very happy with the AE and will continue to run them

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE

i put the C2s on, got about 9k on the rear now lots of tread left and just starting to show signs of cupping. the OE dunlop was a mess at 9k so i think im going to get some better life out of the C2 for sure... will report more later   
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides

I’ve previously been a big fan of Michelin Commander II, having used them as replacement tires on three different touring bikes. Traction is good in all conditions, great cornering, better control on grooved pavement, and no cupping problems. I prefer them over the OEM, Avons, and Metzlers. But my latest experience has driven me to explore options.

Michelin claims 2x wear on the rear tire (does not make a claim regarding the front tire). I know Texas roads (mostly chip and seal and very high temps) are hard on tires. After 8K miles, I’m down to between 2/32 and 3/32 on the front (new is 5/32) and 5/32 on the rear (new is 11/32). I’m pretty anal about tire pressure, but acknowledge that we are sometimes loaded heavy when riding two-up, though 70% of my riding is solo. I have a 4,200 mile trip coming up and have a fresh set of Dunlop American Elites sitting in the garage. At a minimum, the front will be installed prior to departure.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

I’ve previously been a big fan of Michelin Commander II, having used them as replacement tires on three different touring bikes. Traction is good in all conditions, great cornering, better control on grooved pavement, and no cupping problems. I prefer them over the OEM, Avons, and Metzlers. But my latest experience has driven me to explore options.

Michelin claims 2x wear on the rear tire (does not make a claim regarding the front tire). I know Texas roads (mostly chip and seal and very high temps) are hard on tires. After 8K miles, I’m down to between 2/32 and 3/32 on the front (new is 5/32) and 5/32 on the rear (new is 11/32). I’m pretty anal about tire pressure, but acknowledge that we are sometimes loaded heavy when riding two-up, though 70% of my riding is solo. I have a 4,200 mile trip coming up and have a fresh set of Dunlop American Elites sitting in the garage. At a minimum, the front will be installed prior to departure.

Your riding conditions are very similar to mine except 2up 90%  of the time. Let me know your thoughts on the AE. So far I have been very pleased with them
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.