Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: What to do with you life ?  (Read 12427 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: What to do with you life ?
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »

Hey Hubbard,
               Great post. Thanks for joining in. Hope you or nobody else thinks I am disrespecting Christians. Hell I was raised by the granddaughter of a Baptist minister and went to Bible School and then church every Sunday. I am not an antheist, not an agnostic. My point in all this, is that I do not believe that Jews are either of those as well, nor Buddhists,nor Muslims and a host of others. The term for Christians is actually Judeo-Christian which pays homage to the fact that Christianity owes a lot of it's beliefs to Judaism. Answer me this Carl, did JR's post about the origins of Yahweh bring to light anything you had not previously known. If it did, then you see my purpose in these discussions. I'm not out to convert anyone to another religion. I'm not out to disrespect anyone's beliefs. The title of this thread is " What to do with your life ?"  I want to be a better man. I believe in order to do that, I need to understand my fellow man better. I need to open my mind to new ideas. At 53, that is not an easy thing to do. I'm trying and from what I can see so are others. That's all I was hoping for.

Vaya con Dios Hub,
                            B B

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »

SPIDERMAN,
  I'm not as well versed in the Scriptures as JR, especially when it comes to quoting Chapter and Verse.  I commend JR for that too, as it displays his dedication and belief in that Great Document as the infallible Word of God.            

Hey Hub! :drink: I also enjoyed your post and appreciate you jumping in. :2vrolijk_21: I would however like to set something straight. I can not willfully quote scripture. My memory is not that good. Killed too many brain cells in my walk before Christ! My Lord will recall scripture to me that I have read and I will seek it in the bible until I find the correct verse! I don't want to mislead anyone what I'm not! I am a simple minded man and realize that's the way God made me! Thanks again for sharing! God Bless!

JR :bananarock:

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »

So kinda, I think, back to it. Hmm what to do? Well, clearly enjoy yourself. If it ain't fun, don't. Stay healthy cause there just lots and lots of hardships if your not. Do good things for people and the world. Big and little, there's satisfaction in good deeds. Don't hurt anyone, unless they really, really have it coming. And then be prepared for the consequences. Love you wife and your family w/ all of your heart. They may just trample the heck out of it but the risk it well worth it. Ride your motorcycle and soak up all that the road has to throw at you. You know what that means and is all about. Make peace w/ your folks if it's not too late, I know those that didn't and regret it yet. Soak up this world the best you can. Time's short and there's so much to see and do. Find satisfaction in small pleasures. A sunset, figuring out the dang computer, a quiet sip of good whiskey. Little happy things add up. Avoid a$$holes, and that's a tough one, so many people have nothing good to say and are caught up in all of the B.S. around us. Forget about perfection, whatever that is. According to many, only one perfect person ever walked this earth and brother neither of us is he.

I'm about spent for now. Reading the above I need to get busy.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2007, 08:58:22 PM »

So kinda, I think, back to it. Hmm what to do? Well, clearly enjoy yourself. If it ain't fun, don't. Stay healthy cause there just lots and lots of hardships if your not. Do good things for people and the world. Big and little, there's satisfaction in good deeds. Don't hurt anyone, unless they really, really have it coming. And then be prepared for the consequences. Love you wife and your family w/ all of your heart. They may just trample the heck out of it but the risk it well worth it. Ride your motorcycle and soak up all that the road has to throw at you. You know what that means and is all about. Make peace w/ your folks if it's not too late, I know those that didn't and regret it yet. Soak up this world the best you can. Time's short and there's so much to see and do. Find satisfaction in small pleasures. A sunset, figuring out the dang computer, a quiet sip of good whiskey. Little happy things add up. Avoid a$$holes, and that's a tough one, so many people have nothing good to say and are caught up in all of the B.S. around us. Forget about perfection, whatever that is. According to many, only one perfect person ever walked this earth and brother neither of us is he.

I'm about spent for now. Reading the above I need to get busy.

Gotta move far away from NYC for that one! ;) But great post, common sense for those that get it! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »

Somebody sent this to me in email and I thought it might fit with the thoughts of this thread.

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee.
 A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.
 When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was. The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full they agreed it was.
 The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."
 The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.
 "Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things- your God, family, your children, your health, your friends, and your favorite passions--things that if everything else was lost and only they remained your life would still be full.
 The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car.
 The sand is everything else -- the small stuff.
 If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls.
 The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
 Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner.
 Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal."
 Take care of the golf balls first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand." One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.
 The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

I hope you all enjoy this.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »

Screamin',
  Enjoyed your post, and I agree 100%.  It reminded me of one of my Father's sayings which was "Be Honest."  As I grew older, and found an easier, softer way than being Honest, I thought, he would absolutely give me hell.  In the defense of my actions as being quite lucrative, he would frown and tell me every dime I earned dishonestly, would cost me a dollar at the end of the day.  I just laughed and asked him what is Honesty, Old Man?  He told me, "If it ain't so, don't say it.  If it ain't yours, don't take it, and if it ain't right, don't do it."  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2007, 11:17:30 PM »

Very well stated Terry! There's many ways of saying this, but it still creates great controversy by those that can't comprehend this way of thinking. It makes it easier to discuss when there are others that share this viewpoint. ;) Hoist! 8)

I'm beginning to think there are more of us than we think there are ... others see the same peace and beauty but simply feel more comfortable interpreting it via their religious beliefs.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:03 PM »

"If it ain't so, don't say it.  If it ain't yours, don't take it, and if it ain't right, don't do it."  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD 
AMEN BRO!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:31:08 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »

VA that kind of puts things into perspective for me. Thanks for that.   Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2007, 08:03:44 PM »

Strive for balance.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2007, 06:17:21 PM »

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

M. Aurelius

The pleasantest things in the world are pleasant thoughts: and the great art of life is to have as many of them as possible.

Montaigne

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »

"You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence
in. (No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise
tomorrow. They *know* it's going to rise tomorrow.) When people are
fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds
of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in
doubt."  Robert Pirsig

TTS Mastertune

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2007, 07:54:39 PM »

"You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence
in. (No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise
tomorrow. They *know* it's going to rise tomorrow.) When people are
fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds
of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in
doubt."  Robert Pirsig

Like the guy on television last night claiming to be Jesus Christ.

djkak

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:36 AM »

This kind of sums it up, written by a minister:

How Important is the Afterlife to Your Faith?
I have noticed a change in funeral and memorial services. Many people request of me that they don't want a funeral but a celebration of life service for their loved ones. When they say funeral they usually mean some kind of sermon that speaks about heaven and hell that you often find in the Bible Belt. Instead they want to acknowledge the life of the person and celebrate that. I notice in this trend that people seem less concerned about the fate of their soul/consciousness after death and more concerned with life itself-- this life. Personally, I find this to be a healthy trend.

Yet Christianity has often focused on the afterlife as being its central concern, particularly avoiding hell and getting into heaven. Many people in the church and without have left that notion behind as a relic of a superstitious past. So what is Christianity without a focus on the afterlife? What does Resurrection symbolize if it is not interwoven with the afterlife?

I addressed this issue in one of my early posts, Choose Your Afterlife . I spoke about it again in Sunday's sermon, "Imagine There's No Heaven " in my series "Beliefs Worth Letting Go in Order to Grow." Here is a snippet on Hell:

Hell is the easiest one for me to let go. With the exception of using it as a swear word or as a symbol for suffering, cruelty, and despair, I have dispensed with it. The idea that God would send people to hell doesn't make sense to me at all. It is a cruel doctrine. The idea that god, as biblical scholar Robert Price put it, who is a cranky theology professor and gives out big rosy "F's" to those who don't have their beliefs correct and sends them down the chute to eternal fire--is weird.

However, not everyone is ready for that. If a belief in hell is the only thing that keeps you from dealing drugs or killing your neighbor, then by all means, keep believing it. If you haven't developed a moral compass on your own nor dealt with your own anxieties, then simply ceasing believing in hell may not be the best thing for you. That is true with all beliefs. If we do not come to terms with the feelings underneath them, then we will simply substitute one belief for another.

But what about Heaven?

Heaven is a bit more complicated. As a minister I know that many people find comfort in the idea that they will see their loved ones again or that they are in heaven and at peace. The idea that heaven is a better place when this life seems unbearable can be a great comfort. If that belief works for you, then keep it.

That sounds perhaps too pragmatic, but I think what works is a good way to evaluate our beliefs. If believing that when we die, there is a better place enables us to get up in the morning, breathe more deeply, enjoy this life better, then by all means believe it. I would add that if there is a heaven, then it is for everyone, including those people we don't like too much.

As far as other beliefs regarding the afterlife, such as reincarnation, or transport to a parallel universe and so forth, I am agnostic. I am not against it, I just don't know. How can I? Again, I am pragmatic. If it works, then believe it. We might, even so, ask why it is important for us. What fear or dissatisfaction does a belief in an afterlife address? We might ask ourselves, do I really need this belief? Again, if you are not ready to address the underlying feelings, be careful about discarding beliefs. They serve a purpose even when we are not conscious of the purpose.
I think the great Apostle Paul needs to be challenged.

My concern with beliefs about an afterlife is that they can (not necessarily so, but they can) lead one to devalue this life. This is my problem with the Apostle Paul when he writes: If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied."

Paul, as I read him, did not have a great value for this life. He advised people not to get married because the end was coming. He wrote some wonderful things. But not everything is a keeper. His was an interim ethic. This life is not good, it is coming to an end, so live this one in preparation for the next one.

I don't see things that way anymore. I think that this life is a good life and we should pay attention and enjoy it. Not only that, but we should work to make this life better for others too. We should live as if Earth is our home, because it is. Not only is it our home, but it is the home for all of life as we know it. It is the home for our future generations. I do not devalue life or Earth. It is a good place to be. Selling it short for some belief in an afterlife is irresponsible.
What to do with stories in the Bible regarding the kingdom of God or of heaven or of the New Jerusalem? Are they about our own personal survival? I think not.

I retain the symbol of heaven, not as afterlife, but as quality of life. Heaven for me is Presence. Presence of mind, presence of love, presence of God. Heaven within is what John Shelby Spong calls the courage to live fully and to love wastefully.
Why is it that human beings invented the concepts of afterlife at all? I can think of two reasons at least.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »

continued...

Joseph Campbell, the great mythologist, said that the first conscious thought was, "I am." It was a euphoric thought. I am! I exist! Joy! But the second conscious thought followed closely, "Someday I will not exist." I am leads to I am not. The thought, "I am not" creates anxiety. I am and I want to be I am forever. I am not is the end of I am.

Enter religion in all of its forms. Maybe there is a way to beat the I am not. Perhaps even though this life ends, I somehow continue. That is one explanation for an afterlife.

Another explanation has to do with the injustice and unfairness of this life. The great wisdom literature of the Hebrew scriptures, wonderful writings such as Ecclesiastes and Job address the problem of injustice. Why do the good suffer and the wicked prosper? The first painful rule we learn is that life is rarely fair. And that is not satisfactory. If justice is unattainable in this life, then perhaps in the next life all of us will get our just desserts. Notions of karma in the eastern traditions and heaven and hell in the western traditions developed in response to the injustice in this life. Systems of belief and practice developed as a way for us to secure a better standing in the next life.

Heaven and Hell in Islam, Christianity and its derivatives represent ultimate and eternal justice, reward for the good and punishment for the wicked. Two things at least are at work in this business of the afterlife, anxiety for our end, and the dissatisfaction with injustice.

Humanity may be on the verge of growing up and growing out of these beliefs. We don't need heaven, hell, and various theories of afterlife to deal with anxiety and injustice. We need, I believe to fully give ourselves to this life--all of it--to enjoy it and to do good that others may enjoy it and so that future generations may enjoy it as well.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 22 queries.