Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Compensator-My Story might help you  (Read 14524 times)

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Compensator-My Story might help you
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 04:59:01 PM »

On my other bike the SE Compensator was the fix for the stock version.  On this bike it came with the SE compensator so I should not have a problem.   That is what I was thinking however that may be wrong. So far (knock on wood) I have had no problems yet which means it is better than the one I had before.

So the recommendation is to keep the EITMS firing the rear cylinder?
I thought it was supposed to keep the engine cooler which would make it last longer. 
I don't like it on so maybe I will turn it off for the ride home.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 11:14:57 PM »

My EITMS has been off since taking delivery last summer.  This twin cooled bike stays a bit cooler than my 2011 Limited did and don't feel its getting anywhere near hot enough to damage the engine.  Also I do not like the shake and momentary time to restart when the cylinder shuts down.  I think it was mentioned but the Info screen clearly shows if the EITMS is on/off or activated and it turns on and off just like the pre Rushmore bikes. 
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 06:03:21 AM »

One the 2011 I had two of them replaced while I owned it, the bike had ~ 70k miles on it when I let it go.

Fast forward, I just picked up my 2015 ride that has 29k miles on it and the compensator was replaced.

Happy 4th of July!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 08:45:01 AM »

On my other bike the SE Compensator was the fix for the stock version.  On this bike it came with the SE compensator so I should not have a problem.   That is what I was thinking however that may be wrong. So far (knock on wood) I have had no problems yet which means it is better than the one I had before.

So the recommendation is to keep the EITMS firing the rear cylinder?
I thought it was supposed to keep the engine cooler which would make it last longer. 
I don't like it on so maybe I will turn it off for the ride home.

The original design compensator for the Cruise Drive six speed bikes was a complete and total joke.  Harley came up with the SE version almost immediately (it's in the 2008 SE catalog) but did not install it in production.  Another case of them profiting from their own design and quality failures btw.  Finally in 2010 they made it standard in the CVO only, and I believe they extended it to all Big Twins in 2011or 2012.

The SE compensator suffered failures from the beginning, such that they made several design revisions in the first few years.  The last revision I'm aware of occurred in 2014 when they added a plastic tray/diverter to the kit that was epoxied into the outer primary cover to catch oil and drip it into the center of the compensator.  Production bikes used a different outer primary cover with cast in ribs to perform the same function.  This last version is the one that some people seem to think is the one that finally solved the biggest problem with the compensator.  As I mentioned earlier, if we just go by the number of posts around here on compensator failures it does appear the failure rate has dropped on the 2014 and later models, but that is just an observation and not a proven fact.  I've read several reports of failures on 2014 and 2015 bikes, just not as many as we used to see.  So do I believe the problem is really fixed?  No I don't.  The additional lubrication has to help extend the life of the parts, but the design is still subject to a lot of wear.  All anyone has to do to see what I'm talking about is to look at the drain plug magnet and the drained primary fluid when they change the lubricant.  I do not believe the current compensator design will ever be as reliable as the old version on the five speed bikes.  Kind of like lifters, they will be maintenance items.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »

That makes sense my last one was 2010 and now I have the 2014.

The ride home with the rear cylinder was with 100 degrees. I know this isn't possible but I think was actually cooler. probably just my mind.

Like I had posted earlier I didn't like the fact that I had to get the rear cylinder engaged to take off. I had done this to help the engine last longer but since it seems that may not be the case I will go with disengaged for now.

There was post about extra stress on the front cylinder when the rear was off.  How can having the rear cylinder not firing put stress on the front cylinder. I could see this maybe when starting but once the crank is spinning I don't understand how this is more stress.  :confused5:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »

Actually the rear cylinder shutdown strategy wasn't to protect the engine, it was designed to reduce the heat that customers were screaming about to Harley.  Previous versions of EITMS used a totally different strategy, namely first reducing idle speed (fewer combustion events equals less heat), then adding a little extra fuel and advancing timing 10°, and if temps still climbed the engine management system would go into what was called skip fire mode.  That basically caused both cylinders to alternate skipping a combustion event by turning the injectors off at random 2 out of every 8 cycles (think of it as a misfire).  That system was designed to protect the engine, and the last step didn't occur until the engine temperature exceeded 329°F.  In contrast, the 2008 and later EITMS shuts down the rear cylinder spark and fuel at 287°F, turning it into an air pump that just pumps air through the head and exhaust to cool them.

If you were to remove the primary cover and watch the compensator and primary chain when the engine was only running on the front cylinder, you would see why people claim it's hard on the engine.  Not as hard as dropping the clutch at 6000 rpm from a dead stop perhaps, but still not ideal.

If your desire is to protect the engine, versus just keeping your right leg and thigh cooler, a much better approach would be to install a set of fans blowing directly on the cylinder heads IMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Stansuski

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 09:09:40 PM »

As I read this my 2015 CVO ROADGLIDE sounds like a bucket of marbles as I release the clutch when starting off slowly and now I read this, here we go again, mileage today is only 2500 miles.
Stan

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 01:44:20 PM »

I have a 2008 FLHTCUSE3 and I am on my 5th compensator having 48,000 on the clock. My fifth is already rattling after 7,000 miles. It is the very latest version and is no better then the other four. If I twist the throttle at idle, it rattles and always rattles with I turn the ignition off. Anyone make a good design?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 07:21:29 PM »

I have a 2008 FLHTCUSE3 and I am on my 5th compensator having 48,000 on the clock. My fifth is already rattling after 7,000 miles. It is the very latest version and is no better then the other four. If I twist the throttle at idle, it rattles and always rattles with I turn the ignition off. Anyone make a good design?

Installed the Compensaver from Steve... ..Problem solved , just changed primary oil after 10 K ..VERY FEW small minor cuttings on the plug.Nothing like it used to be. Nice and quiet, that was 25,000 miles ago. Don;t have a dog in the fight...product just works
!..
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 06:20:20 AM »

Thanks for input. Will look into compensaver.

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 07:39:35 PM »

Turned my ETMS off they day I bought the bike.  I have it in 100 degree plus weather.  Still will not turn it on.  Feels like it is trying to tear motor apart, can't be good for it.

X2. My dealer suggested it after i complained about the rattling noise from the primary. Wasn't related but he recommended not activating it as it wasn't needed.

stevep1794

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »

My 16 has knocked since the day I got it... Dealer changed the tentioner 2 times in under 500 miles.. cant seem to fix it. I will see if they will change the compensator. just had 1k service and still got the noise. It only knocks at idle...EITMS was turned back on from the service and I haven't turned it off as of yet.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 07:27:32 AM »

My 16 has knocked since the day I got it... Dealer changed the tentioner 2 times in under 500 miles.. cant seem to fix it. I will see if they will change the compensator. just had 1k service and still got the noise. It only knocks at idle...EITMS was turned back on from the service and I haven't turned it off as of yet.

My '16 same way, the compensaver replaces the "axial bearing " HD went to that causes the problem. Compensaver has a washer that replaces it, rattle gone. May not help on an old compensator with lots of miles..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 02:40:30 PM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 09:12:11 AM »

X3  with the compensaver,  not only a very good product that does work to fully lubricate the compensator but with the fibre washer in place of the radial bearing that HD used is much quieter, also great customer support.

I believe the reason HD went with the addition of the oil tray on the outer primary is because the guys who worked on the design of the "compensaver" went to HD with there design and were dismissed out of hand, only for HD to partly copy there design!

Ride safe.
WHUFC   COYI

remington007

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »

There is a procedure to shim the stack hight of the spring pack. Harley sells shims for that. I have done a few and it does quiet it down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.