Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Compensator-My Story might help you  (Read 14420 times)

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
Re: Compensator-My Story might help you
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »

My old comp came with two shims. Wonder if I could apply them to the latest version in my bike that rattles just off idle.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »

You can use the shims if you keep everything in very close alignment.  It's extremely important to stay within the tolerances from one sprocket to another so everything lines up and wears evenly.  Seeing as I have experienced more than my share of compensator replacements I tend to read everything I can on the subject.  While I think the MOCO dropped the ball big time I tend to think that we are seeing an increase due to a number of reasons.  I have to think some are just slapped in there without taking measurements and hoping for the best.  I also think that some are led to believe that to have the best clutch performance some tend to just drop a quart of ATF fluid that the clutch loves but slowly robs the compensator of life by reducing much
needed lubrication.  It's a win - loose situation for right now.  Anything that you can do to increase the lubrication to the compensator will increase it's life, seems simple but we know better!

I'm on lucky number 7 compensator

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 08:09:46 AM »

Thanks for info. I am on number four. It rattled the day I put it in. Fortunately it only rattles just off idle and quits, unlike the one before that rattled at road speeds which drove me crazy.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »

Does anyone know if it is going to be same ol' story with the new M8.
Same compensator?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2016, 07:19:10 AM »

Thanks for info. I am on number four. It rattled the day I put it in. Fortunately it only rattles just off idle and quits, unlike the one before that rattled at road speeds which drove me crazy.

Had that same issue, Going to slip my compensaver in . Took it off the '11 before I traded it.Had the same issue with the '11. New compensator, rattled to beat hell at idle, compensaver installed, nice and quiet. Didn;t pay this kind of money to hear a rattle at idle, , Like the redline primary fluid acts like ATF and has teh GL-5 high pressure additive to protect the compensator..now that'it's getting oil...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

LMH

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Gone
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Limited
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »

My bike been knocking like that since almost day 1. Dealer turned off the EITMS fist time I went back. Still sounds like a can of nuts and bolts going down the road. Still doing it 5000 miles later. Now I have the rear tire sensor alerting me to a low tire pressure every other day . Dealer and factory solution , "turn off the sensor". I'm getting pretty tired of "turning off" all the different systems that i paid big dollars for  on this 40K bike.
I guess it's part of the new business model. Load up a pretty bike with crap that doesn't work and then when it fails turn it off and thank the "customer" for there business and send them on there way.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 09:38:01 AM »

If you find that the replacement still has the same noise issues as the old one, make sure the compensator bolt is actually tight.  One of our members mentioned a problem he had that eventually was traced to a buildup of old thread locker compound in the threads of the output shaft of the crank.  If the bolt reaches torque prematurely due to the extra friction created by that dried up thread locker, you won't have the correct clamping pressure.  So make certain ALL the old thread locker material is removed from the output shaft and bolt before reinstalling the bolt with fresh thread locker ( or a new bolt). 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2016, 11:27:35 AM »

Did all of the above but still rattles just off idle with initial throttle.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »

Jerry is right on the thread locker build up,  Baker has the instructions highlighted to send a bottom tap to make sure it is very clean.  The more compensators that have been installed or removed for other work the higher the likelihood of having a build up which may prevent it from seating properly.  I just returned my badly worn out Baker compensator this morning for a replacement.  It almost went 1000 miles.  I will have a new OEM replacement to install with the GMR Compensaver.  I know people may not believe me but I just removed #7.  Put in a lot of parts to get to 90,000 miles.   

The only solution I see is additional lubrication.  Maybe there is a coating that would help but I think it would wear off from the pounding.

Good Luck

secvoboy80

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 05:52:40 AM »

This whole compensator stuff is givin me a hard time. Mines a 2007 CVO with aprox 50t miles on it. But I bought my bike 2nd hand and I did approx 10t miles. I was chasing the Baker, but also baker told me that they are not quite sure how many miles the compensator works on the 110. I'm really thinking of a compensator eliminator but in combination of the Baker Attitude Chain Tensioner. I think that'll be the best call... What's your opinion about a compensator eliminator?

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 06:38:14 AM »

I am told that it could be very destructive to the 110 engine. I have 52,000 on my 2008 and on my fourth comp into about 4,000 miles. So far, just rattles when cold on take off and has since I installed. Last one rattled at highway speeds which drove me crazy. I did clean threads each time. Don't know why there is not a permanent fix.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2018, 01:59:20 PM »

Have a "newest" S/E compensator on order to replace when I get home from work next shift. Bike will be on the lift table waiting for the install.  I will need to fab up a 'stop stick'.....what size is the big nut?

Any other 'odd' tool required?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2018, 03:48:16 PM »

Have a "newest" S/E compensator on order to replace when I get home from work next shift. Bike will be on the lift table waiting for the install.  I will need to fab up a 'stop stick'.....what size is the big nut?

Any other 'odd' tool required?
According as to what compensator you have in the bike now. Earlier ones needed a 13/16 socket and the later ones need a T-70. Not hard just take your time. Stop stick needs to be 6" long tapered on flat side to fit between the teeth. Have fun.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »

Instead of the S/E ...I'm going with the BDL compensator and  Hayden tensioner.....and gonna have my local, highly recommended (and I have some good experience with them also) Indy shop.

Done some reading ...and at the recommendation from Peter at Bayview Cycle....he has this combo in his bike......and everything inside the primary cover is getting a good lookin' at and replaced as needed so we won't have to go back in there for a long while!

Was gonna do it myself....but....my work schedule makes it so I don't want to waste sunny summer days wrenching.....and I don't feel comfortable checking bearings.

And...I'm tired of being an unpaid (worse than unpaid....expensive)  guinea pig / tester for Harley. .....or having to upgrade parts on a top-of-the-line motorcycle. I have resolved to ALWAYS seek an un-Harley solution to as much as possible!

http://beltdrives.com/products/chain-drive-compensators

https://www.haydensm6.com/m6_bt07.htm
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »

Depressing reading all of these compensator failures that are denied by H.D. My `15 C.V.O. St. Glide 11,300 miles I cringe on what is to come...... trade for  Jap. bike?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.