Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: H-D Premium Ride Suspension  (Read 8385 times)

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
Re: H-D Premium Ride Suspension
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »

I think that manual posted above is for a different model Ohlins than I have. I have Howard's 3-3, which I believe is the equivalent of the Ohlins 159.
Ohhhh .......sorry I didn't identify the chart I posted as being for the H-D Premium Ride Hand-Adjustable Touring Shocks :P
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »

Hey harleychef2011, here's the part of the Harley-Davidson Instrucion .pdf with the adjustment chart. I'm a bit confused as to the "click thing" because the manual indicates that one full knob rotation produces one click. However I "hear/feel" one click for every half turn :nixweiss:?!?! Anyone else notice this?

As your Road King has no Tour-Pak, you'd use the left columns where it says 4 turns = 250lbs. With Tour-Pak the chart says 9 turns = 250lbs. Clicks or turns .........it's whatever feels right to the individual rider LOL ::)!

Yeah, you are correct Trigger.  I think its safe to assume a "half turn" click might be to cover the middle ground?  Or if you like your ride softer or harder?  Of course you set it to what makes you comfortable!!

2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 09:17:44 PM »

I used the lines when I had mine. It's way easier then counting clicks lol. Figure out what line works then use that instead of clicks😄

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 06:52:28 PM »

TRIGGER-MAN, I believe it was around 3 to 3.5 hours of labor. And yes it does require special tools.
............On my 2012 I had the dealer install the Premium Ride front suspension and he charged me 4.50 hours labor......

My Grand Junction Harley dealer just quoted me 5 hours labor at $87.5/hour to install the 45500158 Premium Ride Single Cartridge Fork Kit ......Holy chit:( ???!!! At $438 labor just for the fronts I've got to seiously consider doing the installation myself. At least two forum members (Hogism and ultrafxr) opted to have their dealers perform the installation ......which suggests it may not be a slam-dunk :-X.  From the installation instructions:

Proper installation of this kit also requires the following special tools:
  • Loctite® 565 Thread Sealant (99818-97)
  • Harley-Davidson® Seal Grease (11300005)
  • Fork Tube Holder (HD-41177)
  • Fork Seal/Bushing Tool (HD-45305)
  • Front Fork Oil Level Gauge (HD-59000B)
  • Front Fork Spring Compressing Tool (HD-45966)
  • Extension tool (HD-45966-1)
Has anyone here done the Premium Ride fronts themselves? I could certainly use some reassurance :nervous:!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:37:10 PM by Trigger-Man »
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2017, 09:18:01 AM »

i haven't installed the kit myself, but i did switch my fork lowers from stock to powdercoated black (on my 2010 rgc) which entailed complete disassembly of the forks and reassembly.  it wasn't really that bad, but the hardest part (imo) was getting the spring compressed enough that i could get the threads started on the cap.  20 mins to swap the internals over, and 3 hrs to get the cap on, lol....  i think with the cartridges, you don't have as much spring to compress so that may go easier.

i say go for it.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »

My Grand Junction Harley dealer just quoted me 5 hours labor at $87.5/hour to install the 45500158 Premium Ride Single Cartridge Fork Kit ......Holy chit:( ???!!! At $438 labor just for the fronts I've got to seriously consider doing the installation myself. At least two forum members (Hogism and ultrafxr) opted to have their dealers perform the installation ......which suggests it may not be a slam-dunk :-X.  From the installation instructions:

Has anyone here done the Premium Ride fronts themselves? I could certainly use some reassurance :nervous:!

G'Day Trigger Man,

I am interested in finding out how the premium ride fork deal performs especially for two up touring but cannot find much about it on the interweb.

Apologies if you have seen this one mate. Here is the only review on the HD website from a 'local solo rider' for what it is worth

Quote - I had this product installed. While it does provide excellent traction in cornering and handling bumps well, it is very rigid. This translates into a direct road to hand grip feel for vibrations and bumps. I found it unforgiving while riding above 65 on concrete highways. It was not pleasant at all. I am going to switch back to the stock front end. I basically lost the super comfy plush feel. - Unquote

Here are some others from HD Forums that are more positive but they are dated.

Quote - I did the Premium Low Front fork single cartridge. They don't make a double kit for the 2014 touring models. No more nose dive when I hit the front brake and very solid going into corners. I also have the Heavy Duty Progressive 11.5" 444's and to me they are very similar in ride quality to the hand adjustable Premium shocks available for the rear (even though they have less travel). I am very satisfied with my setup. - Unquote

Quote - I did the front and rear using the HD premium touring shocks and fork kit,all std height.
Mostly solo riding , 195 lb all geared up
Like 12 iron883 I am very happy,very solid with little brake dive going into corners and very bump compliant in the rear
Definitely firms up the whole bike and improves the handling JMHO - Unquote

Cheers Tom

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »

G'Day Trigger Man,

I am interested in finding out how the premium ride fork deal performs especially for two up touring but cannot find much about it on the interweb.

Apologies if you have seen this one mate. Here is the only review on the HD website from a 'local solo rider' for what it is worth

Quote - I had this product installed. While it does provide excellent traction in cornering and handling bumps well, it is very rigid. This translates into a direct road to hand grip feel for vibrations and bumps. I found it unforgiving while riding above 65 on concrete highways. It was not pleasant at all. I am going to switch back to the stock front end. I basically lost the super comfy plush feel. - Unquote

Here are some others from HD Forums that are more positive but they are dated.

Quote - I did the Premium Low Front fork single cartridge. They don't make a double kit for the 2014 touring models. No more nose dive when I hit the front brake and very solid going into corners. I also have the Heavy Duty Progressive 11.5" 444's and to me they are very similar in ride quality to the hand adjustable Premium shocks available for the rear (even though they have less travel). I am very satisfied with my setup. - Unquote

Quote - I did the front and rear using the HD premium touring shocks and fork kit,all std height.
Mostly solo riding , 195 lb all geared up
Like 12 iron883 I am very happy,very solid with little brake dive going into corners and very bump compliant in the rear
Definitely firms up the whole bike and improves the handling JMHO - Unquote

Cheers Tom

When I rode "Lucille" (Major Tom's '15 CVORGU) I felt that the Rushmore Front End was fine,,, A nice combination of Handling / Ride Quality...

FWIW, I prefer the Suspension a little on the "firmer" side, butt have to maintain Ride Quality for "The Ball & Chain"...   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:44:20 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

H-D Premium Ride Suspension
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »

Thanks for the reminder Ed. Lucille has the premium ride adjustable rear shocks (couldn't believe they didn't come standard like my 11 SERGU). Lucille handles well in all kinds of situations with the upgraded rear & standard 49mm front.

I am interested to see some reviews on the premium ride front suspension from genuine two up tourers but can't see the cost/benefit for me in changing something that works well for the sake of it.

Cheers Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 07:13:10 PM »

My Grand Junction Harley dealer just quoted me 5 hours labor at $87.5/hour to install the 45500158 Premium Ride Single Cartridge Fork Kit ......Holy chit:( ???!!! At $438 labor just for the fronts I've got to seiously consider doing the installation myself. At least two forum members (Hogism and ultrafxr) opted to have their dealers perform the installation ......which suggests it may not be a slam-dunk :-X.  From the installation instructions:

pm joe vibe. I know he has done it & says it's not that difficult
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 08:56:26 AM »

pm joe vibe. I know he has done it & says it's not that difficult

Actually, I took the HD single cartridge stuff out of my Road King and installed a Legends dual cartridge set up. The springs on the Legends aren't as big as the HD springs so I didn't have compression problems but I can see how the HD spring would be tougher to compress.

I bought a seal driver and an oil level gauge on Amazon. Had an old armature clamp (from working on alternators and starters way back when) that I used with some padding for a fork clamp. With the Legends I didn't need a spring compressor.

You'll need a 19mm (or 3/4") hex socket for the top cap, The drain bolts in the bottom of the lowers on mine were two different sizes. One was 12mm hex and the other was 8mm (if I remember right). The drain bolt hex sockets need to be pretty long (3" or so) to fit up into the bolt properly. I had the smaller socket that worked but had to make a 12mm. You could use a "L" wrench (Allen wrench) but I like to torque everything so I cut the long portion off a "L" wrench and used it with a 3/8" drive 12 mm socket.

I'd never done this before, and I wasn't on the clock, so it took me the better part of a day doing this. I spend a LOT of time reading the manual and instructions as I was going along. Definitely more time reading than wrenching but that's just me.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to holler if you have other questions or just want to talk about it.

Joe

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 09:03:54 AM »

Trigger-Man,

Right after I hit the post button I thought about this: my 2014 SERK and my buddy's 2015 SERG both came with single cartridge front suspension when new. I'm guessing yours would have that too.

Is the single cartridge that comes in the bike different than the HD "Premium" cartridge? If it's the same thing, you're already there.

Joe

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »

Trigger-Man,

Right after I hit the post button I thought about this: my 2014 SERK and my buddy's 2015 SERG both came with single cartridge front suspension when new. I'm guessing yours would have that too.

Is the single cartridge that comes in the bike different than the HD "Premium" cartridge? If it's the same thing, you're already there.

Joe

Turns out, my 14 RK came with the single cartridge front suspension and my buddy had told me his 15 RG did but he was wrong according to the specs I looked up. Sorry for the misinformation.

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »

Trigger-Man,

Joe
Been away from the forum for awhile creating a new business selling vent screens for the Rushmore Road Glide .......hence the new "vendor" status LOL :P.

In the end I bit the bullet and had the dealer do the installation. While pricey ..........I'm very happy with the overall result. The ride improvement isn't dramatic but I feel significantly more confident with the handling/tracking.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 08:26:22 AM »

G’Day Trigger-Man,

How are you feeling about the premium front shocks lately?

Also bought some of your vent screens & killed a bunch of bugs with them in recent times. Much better than killing them with my face.

Cheers Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »

G’Day Trigger-Man,

How are you feeling about the premium front shocks lately?

Also bought some of your vent screens & killed a bunch of bugs with them in recent times. Much better than killing them with my face.

Cheers Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Tom ……...regarding the premium front suspension, we've enjoyed a few longer road trips with them installed and I haven't given them a thought. That's the way it should be and a really good thing considering I enjoy riding twisty roads assertively ;D. I'd invest in them again.

Glad you're enjoying your Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS! I'd sure appreciate if you're up for providing a quick product review:

https://motorcycleventscreens.com/splitscreens-customer-review-form/
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.

2015 FLTRUSE:
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 22 queries.