Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2014 cvo road king low speed wobbles hard to control  (Read 2584 times)

Justin heck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2014 cvo road king
2014 cvo road king low speed wobbles hard to control
« on: June 17, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »

I have a 2014 cvo road king that has just turned 3500 miles. Yes I know don't ride much except for this year that has changed. My day started off on Wednesday saddling up and leaving the house I got about 1/2 miles from home and got bad death wobble first thought was low or flat tire. I pulled over and checked my tires and all was ok now flats. I returned home and unloaded the bike and took my truck to work when I got home I inspected the tires again all ok then checked axle bearings and dismantled the headlamp and bezel and checked the head tube bolt which was a little loose to my thought I torqued it to the wsm reassembled the bike and took off well still have a problem.
As off last night when riding the bike about 25-45 miles per hour it is very very hard to control feels like when you have a passenger on the back and they are fiddling around leaning all over the place is my best way to describe this feel. I have check the inter web looking and haven't seen much on this issue. I'm really starting to think o have a real lemon on my hands this bike has given me a hard time and I really like it but starting to think of getting rid of it I'm hoping some one has seen some issues and can help me in a new direction.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamshocker23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

Re: 2014 cvo road king low speed wobbles hard to control
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »

I have a 2014 cvo road king that has just turned 3500 miles. Yes I know don't ride much except for this year that has changed. My day started off on Wednesday saddling up and leaving the house I got about 1/2 miles from home and got bad death wobble first thought was low or flat tire. I pulled over and checked my tires and all was ok now flats. I returned home and unloaded the bike and took my truck to work when I got home I inspected the tires again all ok then checked axle bearings and dismantled the headlamp and bezel and checked the head tube bolt which was a little loose to my thought I torqued it to the wsm reassembled the bike and took off well still have a problem.
As off last night when riding the bike about 25-45 miles per hour it is very very hard to control feels like when you have a passenger on the back and they are fiddling around leaning all over the place is my best way to describe this feel. I have check the inter web looking and haven't seen much on this issue. I'm really starting to think o have a real lemon on my hands this bike has given me a hard time and I really like it but starting to think of getting rid of it I'm hoping some one has seen some issues and can help me in a new direction.
Thanks in advance

Quick question how long was the bike sitting for since last riding.  You may have a flat spot in the tire.  I had that on my Ducati after letting it sit for two months with out moving it. Stupid me I know lol.   It went away after I put around 100 miles on the tires and let them warm up but damn it was scary.  Probably not the brightest idea but we live and learn sometimes. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »

do a search on this forum "wobble"   :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Justin heck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »

Quick question how long was the bike sitting for since last riding.  You may have a flat spot in the tire.  I had that on my Ducati after letting it sit for two months with out moving it. Stupid me I know lol.   It went away after I put around 100 miles on the tires and let them warm up but damn it was scary.  Probably not the brightest idea but we live and learn sometimes. 

I had been riding it everyday since middle of May with no problems this just came out of no where.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »

I suspect that your neck bearing races have finally seated.  May need to tighten your neck bearings just a bit.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Justin heck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »

I suspect that your neck bearing races have finally seated.  May need to tighten your neck bearings just a bit.  :nixweiss:
I torqued them down per my work shop manual still same thing

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 07:44:52 PM »

If you were getting a lateral shake from your front wheel at low speed, its could be a number of things. Improper tire pressure, loose bolt, tire out of alignment etc. Have a competent tech check it out.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »

What tyres you running?
Check wheel alignment, easy to do just lay a board down ( a straight 2x4 or similar) flush with the rear wheel it should be flush with the front.

Check air pressure before you ride and after you have a wobble be sure to have the correct air pressure.
Check your shocks rear and front forks you may have a lazy front fork.

Check out the pdf on wobbles
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:02:50 PM by longlast »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »

When you have a sudden and large change such as this, you need to look for things that are subject to sudden failure.  Things like a wheel bearing failure, a broken belt in a belted tire, a loose axle bolt that allowed the wheel and tire to shift, a broken shock, a broken frame or swingarm, etc..  If I were you I wouldn't continue to ride the bike until it's sorted out.

When you say you torqued down the steering head, exactly what did you tighten?  Torquing a lock nut isn't the same thing as actually adjusting the bearing preload, and the 2014 models use a very different method compared to previous Touring models.  If you over-tighten steering head bearings, you can induce a rear weave problem.  Too loose usually leads to a front end shake/wobble, whereas too tight usually leads to a rear weave which can be every bit as sphincter tightening as a front end shake.

There are way too many possibilities to be able to diagnose it on the internet.  You may need to seek out a qualified professional (fairly rare these days at most Harley dealerships, so don't limit your search just to dealerships).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

14CVOKING

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »

I have the same bike with the same issue. At 5400 miles the stock front tire was out of round and the dealer replaced it and prorated the mileage.

Justin heck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »

I have the same bike with the same issue. At 5400 miles the stock front tire was out of round and the dealer replaced it and prorated the mileage.
So correct me if I'm wrong the tire fixed it or you still have the same concern cause I just found all my paper work and I have the tire and wheel package for 4 years on my bike

14CVOKING

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »

Yes the new tire corrected the issue. Just an fyi, the tire was on backorder for three weeks.

GaJayhawk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 06:18:57 PM »

I had a new '14 Ultra Ltd with similar slow speed wobble behavior.  I tried all of the suggestions covered in this string, with no improvement.  Finally discovered that the bolts that secured the handle bar risers to the top triple-tree were not torqued to spec.  I tightened both sides and had immediate improvement. 

Now I have a '16 CVO Road Glide, and it had a less noticeable wobble when bought.  I checked the riser bolts first, and they were also out of spec.  After tightening both bolts, my front end is rock.

Justin heck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »

So I had the front tire replaced and harley checked the wheel bearings and all was ok picked it up and still had the same concern.

Justin heck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »

I checked my risers and checked all the steering still not finding anything ?

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.