Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener DOES not work with Daymaker LEDs  (Read 4720 times)

RichardGee

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Garage Door Opener DOES not work with Daymaker LEDs
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »

No special marriage of the hardware to the bike and certainly no great shade tree skills.  On bikes (some of the CVO bikes do) intended for GDO it's just plug and play.  Nothing new and nothing added to the mix.  If it's a bike that never had a GDO and I need power it's one simple add-in. 

I don't like to make any piece of hardware non-detachable so I don't just splice in to the headlight signal wires.  Will use a 1-2 plug headlight pigtail.  If you can't find one at a local auto parts store they are a common item used in the nose of Road Glides for years and years. 

Plug one end in to the original headlight socket.  One of the other sockets goes to the headlight.  The other becomes the supply for the GDO hi-lo signal (yellow and white) wires and ground (black).  Pick up power (orange) at the back of the lighter element.  Can't get much easier.  This way the GDO xmitter doesn't have any other device or switch anywhere in the circuit behind it other than the headlight itself.

IF this forum would allow multiple pictures it would be MUCH easier to explain the problems that are not addressed by your post, or any others.
The dual plug harness you reference is essentially what I purchased from HD,  p/n  71628-04
This harness provides a means of plugging into headlight power AND then plugging the new LED headlight into the harness, PLUS is provides a secondary plug for the GD transmitter.

Like you, I don’t like to hard-wire things that aren’t meant to be hardwired and the new harness is designed to make the GD transmitter unpluggable, rather than hard-wired.

I could have purchased the plug parts to outfit the OE hard-wired GD Tx with a male plug, BUT it wasn’t clear which wire would go where? The OE utilizes 4 wires where as the new style TX uses 3; I had already come up with what I thought was the correct wiring on the OE Tx and it DID work… until I plugged in the LED headlamp… and then it would no longer active the garage door.

Unplug the headlamp, toggle Hi/Low beam – it worked – plug the LED headlamp back in, toggle Hi/Low, NO WORK.
The other wiring scenario resulted in a blown fuse.

I don’t see enough similarities with all our descriptions to believe we were all dealing with the same problem.
I have a solid background in electronics and would have resolved this early in IF it had been that simple…

Anyway, right or wrong, my solution is totally sano, using all Harley OE parts and everything can be unplugged and replaced if necessary.
I still have all the OE parts IF I hold onto this bike for another 100 years and ever want to return it to stone stock.

pajimbo420

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 07:53:05 PM »

:worthless:
I also had trouble with converting to a led headlight. After searching I found that this worked in restoring the garage door opener to function properly.
https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Conversion-Wiring-Harness-Adapter/dp/B01N59YQB0

cvo2007

• Riding Harleys before it was popular to do so
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »

I had a normal Daymaker clone led headlight that worked with my garage door opener but just upgraded to another newer designed led headlight with a halo ring.  My garage door opener no longer worked.  Read online and even the manufacturer blamed it on the additional leds causing interference with the RF signal being transmitted.  BS.  After a lot of wasted time, figured out what was going on.  The older 4 wire transmitters monitor power being cycled between the low and high beam.  The newer led low beam stays on all of the time.  Went out and purchased the updated Harley transmitter which only has 3 wires and just monitors the high beam toggle (white wire).  Problem resolved.   The new transmitter worked fine with the old receiver.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:18:52 AM by cvo2007 »
Riding for over 40 years
Currently riding 2007 Ultra CVO
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.