Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: 2018 Pricing and Dealer Markup  (Read 14010 times)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Re: 2018 Pricing and Dealer Markup
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 09:19:19 AM »

Interesting...in Ontario? Which ones?

Davies H-D in Richmond Hill sold to Pfaff Auto Group, Fox H-D in Owen Sound sold to Forbes Auto Group, Jacox in Mississauga sold to Brown's a 5 location McDonald's owner (burgers not cars for this one), and there is a new dealer opening up in Oakville and soon after in Brampton by Policaro Auto Group.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:36:53 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »

Davies H-D in Richmond Hill sold to Pfaff Auto Group, Fox H-D in Owen Sound sold to Forbes Auto Group, Jacox in Mississauga sold to Brown's a 5 location McDonald's owner (burgers not cars for this one), and there is a new dealer opening up in Oakville and soon after in Brampton by Policaro Auto Group.
As I have said, miss the old days.

You could walk back to the shop, talk with the tech working on your bike.

They had bar stools at the parts counter, riders were drinking coffee, some smoking while shopping for parts.

The showroom had bikes and parts, a small rack of clothing.

They didn't have commissioned sales people. You bought from the owner or there family. The few employees were long term.

They didn't offer financing. If you wanted a new Harley, bring the money.

There was a genuine feeling of family. It really felt like relationships came before anything else.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »

Thanks didn't know that. remember Toronto Harley? I think it was owned by a ferrari dealership.

ultrarider123

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »

As I have said, miss the old days.

You could walk back to the shop, talk with the tech working on your bike.

They had bar stools at the parts counter, riders were drinking coffee, some smoking while shopping for parts.

The showroom had bikes and parts, a small rack of clothing.

They didn't have commissioned sales people. You bought from the owner or there family. The few employees were long term.

They didn't offer financing. If you wanted a new Harley, bring the money.

There was a genuine feeling of family. It really felt like relationships came before anything else.

....and you knew you were getting close to the HD dealer in a town when you passed the pawn shops and strip clubs  ;D

K'ville HD original Clinton Hwy store (circa 1968) was just down from their "new store" (late 70's) which is now their Indian store up from their "new" store (early 90's) which is now their Honda shop just down from their "really new" store (three years ago) which, except for certain staff, has little to no "feeling" to it.  Their current Indian dealership is where I purchased my first Harley back many moons ago.  It was just as you described in your post, Scott, oil drippings in the parking lot and all....old school for sure and I do miss that experience.  SMHD comes close to having that "welcome home" feel but nothing compares to the old days with today's boutiques.  Of course, you don't have to worry about the part of town these new shops are in... :2vrolijk_21:

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 02:01:36 PM »

....and you knew you were getting close to the HD dealer in a town when you passed the pawn shops and strip clubs  ;D

Haird, that must have been in a past life.

ultrarider123

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 02:12:45 PM »

Haird, that must have been in a past life.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »

K'ville HD original Clinton Hwy store (circa 1968) was just down from their "new store" (late 70's) which is now their Indian store up from their "new" store (early 90's) which is now their Honda shop just down from their "really new" store (three years ago) which, except for certain staff, has little to no "feeling" to it.  Their current Indian dealership is where I purchased my first Harley back many moons ago.  It was just as you described in your post, Scott, oil drippings in the parking lot and all....old school for sure and I do miss that experience.  SMHD comes close to having that "welcome home" feel but nothing compares to the old days with today's boutiques.  Of course, you don't have to worry about the part of town these new shops are in... :2vrolijk_21:
You nailed It! When I would buy a new Harley the dealership owner would come out and hand me a cold beer. We would celebrate before I hit the road. Would not fly today :)

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 05:37:49 PM »

Thanks didn't know that. remember Toronto Harley? I think it was owned by a ferrari dealership.

You're very close... Lamborghini.  Not that either of those lucky to own one of them would admit to.  However, for us commoners - close enough.  ;D

I purchased my first Harley from Toronto Harley on the Queensway prior to Jacox resurrecting that dealership, and many years before Harley-Davidson of Toronto (the Lamborghini guy) opened their doors on Front Street.  They certainly didn't last long after building the massive building on Lawrence Ave., although I believe they're still selling the exotic cars.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 05:47:22 PM »

You nailed It! When I would buy a new Harley the dealership owner would come out and hand me a cold beer. We would celebrate before I hit the road. Would not fly today :)

And for those lucky enough to have met Jim Robinson of Robinson's Harley-Davidson in Wheatley, Ontario (Canada's 2nd oldest dealership), you most likely found Jim wrenching in the garage which was attached to his home overlooking Lake Erie, and he would be in cutoff shorts and sneakers working away.  Of course he would always offer up a cold one from the fridge in the corner of the shop.

Jim was an amazing fellow who passed away in his early 80's doing what he loved - on the track racing his Harley!  Quite a guy that we miss terribly.

Unfortunately H-D in their wisdom took his dealership away because he didn't want to build a massive place backing onto Hwy. 401 and preferred things the way they were at the lake.  We too Jim, we too!  That's why I still visit Jim's family at their shop (Robinson's Motorcycles) whenever I'm in the area.  They only sell used Harleys now, but still do a great job on service as well as sales.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:10:40 PM by Grizzly »

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2017, 06:58:27 AM »

Grizz same thing happened in Sarnia (Motorsports HD).  Ray the owner in his 70's would not lay out the millions to build on HWY 402 in Sarnia so they pulled his dealership couple years back.  Bought 3 bikes from Ray.  Now have to travel to Duke's in Chatham owned by RM Restoration/Sotheby's Auctions with a GM not an owner at the helm.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »

yup, times are changing....
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2017, 05:04:00 PM »

I cant figure out which I find more annoying, Dealers that keeping gouging you guys or listening to folks whining about it. It doesn't really matter what you think or what you say you will or will not ever do. you don't have any skin in the game, if you want to pony up the money and buy you a store and sell everything you want for what ever price you like. Have at it, And trust me regardless of how much they mark them up there is always somebody somewhere with more money than brains and they will pay the price. I've done both sales manager and customer its all about how you spin this. And you going out and buying a BMW or an Indian just because you are feed up will not solve the head game you are playing with yourself and trying to convince all of us to participate in, because I'm sick of this or that. What's up with all the negative vibes guys, come on! Be happy for what you have recognize what you can and can not do anything about. And lastly find you a dealer who loves Harleys and his customers and stick close. Love you brothers!

BigLew

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »

well said, Big
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »

remember Toronto Harley?

I do. I got my 2011 CVO SG from there. It was a massive building. Boasted that it had the largest HD Sign in Canada. It was a beautiful dealership but at the end it was smoke and mirrors. The service sucked. They also were taking money for extended warranties and the buyers were NOT signed up, ish. Lucky I did not buy at that time and I got it at a later date from Mackie HD.

Anywho when I put my deposit down on July 27, 2010 and the later agreed on a price by the time I took delivery on December 18, 2010 the Canadian dollar was doing really well. So when I went to pay the price dropped a couple of thousand. Will have to check for the exact amount but it was around 4 or 5 grand. (I Think)

When the place closed I followed one of the guys to Mackie for my HD needs. I got the extended warranty from there too. I have to say that with the lemon that I got they treated me very well. I am at about $32 000 in work done on my scoot over the years. Yes I still love it and the dealership. Mackie HD is the best IMO.

As I write this I realized that in 2 days my warranty is done. December 18, 2010 is when I took possession of my scoot. Wow how time flies.

abuck

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »

I got my ‘18 Street Glide for the same price as it’s listed, no markup. Both places I visited quoted me the same. Ended up going with the shop that gave me the most for my trades.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.