Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: New 117 M8 ticking - is it a time bomb?  (Read 19835 times)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: New 117 M8 ticking - is it a time bomb?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »

Just a quick update on this - the ticking hasn’t gotten worse but it sure hasn’t gotten better.  It’s not pinging, it sounds more like valvetrain noise but it’s coming more from inside the case, not from the cam side.  But I finally had the service manager listen to it after I insisted it wasn’t normal and they finally agreed that there’s something wrong.  They sent some video to the MoCo and got the go ahead to open it up and see what’s wrong with it.  They’re guessing oil pump but we won’t know until we’re in there.  I’m dropping it off tonight.

I probably didn’t do too good of a job explaining the sound, but it’s fairly random...it happens both on and off throttle, more than just valvetrain clatter but not quite a knock.  And I did have them start a few other M8 bikes to compare with and they were all more quiet than mine...that’s when they’d say, “Oh the CVOs have a bigger cam, they’ll be louder”.  I’d have to have lobes the size of my fist to make that kind of noise.

I’ll update once we know more.

Thanks to all for your input.

funny stuff for sure. it its the so called big cam which it is not  why does it take so long for it to get loud as you say   these people think the razzle is going to fool the public,, it is not  going to  with what is going on these days

UUNetBill

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide, Gunship Gray
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:06 PM »

Just a quick update - MoCo gave the OK to open the engine and see what’s what...near as we can tell, I had an early model pump and even though it wasn’t sumping there was inadequate oiling.  Valvetrain was shot...rocker shafts, bushings, vam, lifters - all hosed.  Minor scoring on the cylinders and pistons.

So they’re basically rebuilding the entire mill except for the cases and crank.  Everything spec’d good on the bottom end so we’re not going with a new motor...this time.  To be honest, I’m not 100% sure this will be a one-and-done fix.

Should have it back soon, all of the parts are in.  Stopped by today and they had the cam chest buttoned up, new jugs mounted, heads on, just waiting for the rocker boxes, pushrods, etc. and then bolt everything else back on.  And of course, rain in the forecast for the next 8-10 days.

Let’s see if this one will hold together for more than 3,000 miles...
2018 CVO RG
2013 Street Glide (gone)
2013 Street Bob (gone)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 11:18:44 PM »

Just a quick update - MoCo gave the OK to open the engine and see what’s what...near as we can tell, I had an early model pump and even though it wasn’t sumping there was inadequate oiling.  Valvetrain was shot...rocker shafts, bushings, vam, lifters - all hosed.  Minor scoring on the cylinders and pistons.

So they’re basically rebuilding the entire mill except for the cases and crank.  Everything spec’d good on the bottom end so we’re not going with a new motor...this time.  To be honest, I’m not 100% sure this will be a one-and-done fix.

Should have it back soon, all of the parts are in.  Stopped by today and they had the cam chest buttoned up, new jugs mounted, heads on, just waiting for the rocker boxes, pushrods, etc. and then bolt everything else back on.  And of course, rain in the forecast for the next 8-10 days.

Let’s see if this one will hold together for more than 3,000 miles...
you better have you shop  take a good look at the lower end a bit more closely. imagine if the top end is smoked like you say that lower end is junk and you will be back, you better have warranty  cause its  there had to be some serious heat,
 and that is killer.

UUNetBill

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide, Gunship Gray
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »

Well, picked the bike up this morning.  Parts list ran to two pages.  The weather didn’t cooperate with me, it started raining as soon as 8 got home.  I’m hoping for some clear time tomorrow to roll some miles on it.

My initial feeling is that it’s a lot quieter than it was, but I’m still not sure that it’s as quiet as it should be.  Maybe I’m just paranoid, I don’t know.  I’ll put about 500 easy miles on it and then change the oil and dissect the filter looking for any shavings or sludge.

It’s really a shame that there are so damn many $40,000 bikes out there going through engines like M&Ms.  It’s a real problem.
2018 CVO RG
2013 Street Glide (gone)
2013 Street Bob (gone)

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »

hope it goes well from here, keep us posted
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

dstel61

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 10:40:09 AM »

Just picked up my 2017 CVO Streetglide
Thebike  makes a loud high pitched ticked noise as well .
It cant be normal .I also approached my dealer and got no answers
Much louder than my twin cam Road King

dstel61

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 06:19:24 AM »

i just picked up my 2018 CVO Street Glide and it makes the same exact  high pitched ticking noise from the motor
I t occurs at rpms between 2000-and 2500
the dealer said it is normal ,I know it is not!
he said the 2018 117 is a noisy motor but this noise is abnormal

mark

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »

i just picked up my 2018 CVO Street Glide and it makes the same exact  high pitched ticking noise from the motor

Default response from an HD Service Dept.  Pretty soon, when confronted with a sumping engine, they'll tell you they all do that.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 08:46:13 AM »

Seems like the issues with the M8 aren't really going anywhere.   Kinda glad I still have my twincam... The sumping really concerns me. Think that has alot to do with most of the problems.  :nixweiss:Stuart
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 08:51:53 AM by cvostu »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 08:54:12 PM »

Dealer is feeding you a load of BS.  M8 is much quieter than the TCs.  Stay on top of that service dept.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Scrapyard

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 06:38:27 PM »

So, I buy the 2018 CVO 117 and have all options I could think of including stage IV. I have the bike 3 days, about 400 miles, and the tappet gets loud. The dealership fixes it and I'm on my way. Still a happy customer. 9,400 miles later, because I ride it, same thing only now I hear things flying around the motor. Then the compression relief valve opens and it sounds like the head blows. I pull off of the 1st exit, having no power, and she dies. The tappet disintegrated! Dealership cracks her open and the tappet won't come out. After further break down, the needle bearings are inside my oil pump meaning they passed through the entire motor. Corporate approves a short block but is hesitant to approve a stage IV kit. I'm looking at the marks on my sleeves, gouges on my pistons, An oil pump with grooves cut into the aluminum from circulating bearings and debris, a tappet that no longer resembles one as the roller has gone through my baby. Then I find out that the computer mapping for the 117 stage four was not available so corporate told the dealer to map it for a 110ci. WTF! I just handed them $52,000 and you deceive me on top of my mechanical problems? Now the dealership is building my M8 rather than the factory.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »

So, I buy the 2018 CVO 117 and have all options I could think of including stage IV. I have the bike 3 days, about 400 miles, and the tappet gets loud. The dealership fixes it and I'm on my way. Still a happy customer. 9,400 miles later, because I ride it, same thing only now I hear things flying around the motor. Then the compression relief valve opens and it sounds like the head blows. I pull off of the 1st exit, having no power, and she dies. The tappet disintegrated! Dealership cracks her open and the tappet won't come out. After further break down, the needle bearings are inside my oil pump meaning they passed through the entire motor. Corporate approves a short block but is hesitant to approve a stage IV kit. I'm looking at the marks on my sleeves, gouges on my pistons, An oil pump with grooves cut into the aluminum from circulating bearings and debris, a tappet that no longer resembles one as the roller has gone through my baby. Then I find out that the computer mapping for the 117 stage four was not available so corporate told the dealer to map it for a 110ci. WTF! I just handed them $52,000 and you deceive me on top of my mechanical problems? Now the dealership is building my M8 rather than the factory.

What is the latest on your saga??

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 01:29:27 AM »

What is the latest on your saga??
Another one who hasn't been here for awhile...although it's just since Sep 1 for him.  HD might be losing customers faster than they can be born. lol
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Fusion1959

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2019, 04:40:47 AM »

I had to reply to this forum because I also have a 2018 117 inch CVO that is very noisy before I had the stage 4 kit installed and after. The noise is persistent and not getting any better. I have gotten the same answer every time  I bring it to be serviced, " That's Normal ". Is there a positive answer to what is making this ticking noise. Did I buy a very expensive piece of engineering screw up. 

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2019, 12:19:01 PM »

Where are you from Fusion?   Maybe we can guide you to a good independent in your area to listen to the motor.  Might be the same answer but couldn’t hurt for peace of mind.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 23 queries.