Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Super Shox Premium Series review  (Read 8024 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Super Shox Premium Series review
« on: January 06, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »

Based on bigchuck's feedback and comments on the new Super Shox designed specifically for the Harley FL models (baggers) here....

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=112876.msg1445524#msg1445524

I decided to bite the bullet and try them.  Over the years I'd kind of followed all the commentary on shocks (Progressive, Ohlins, DK, etc.) however, the stock shocks were fine as long as I kept them at a firm setting (due to my riding style).  But recently, while running around the Arkansas Ozarks, I got a leak in the air line and they'd no longer hold air.  That, coupled with the Super Shox' 30 day full money back gurantee and their life time warranty I thought I had nothing to loose.....so I pulled the trigger.

Lone Star Harley Davidson in Tyler, Texas was the closest dealership however, they were not an authorized dealer for Super Shox.  Orrin Latch, the owner of Lone Star Harley Davidson authorized the parts Mgr. to apply to Super Shox to become an authorized dealership for their products and all was approved.  They, in turn, ordered my shocks.  I dropped my bike off Thur. at Lone Star HD in Tyler to install the shocks, two new tires and to remove the Bushtec trailer hitch and wiring harness.  Picked up my bike yesterday afternoon (as well as the stock air shocks and the trailer hitch if anybody is interested.....make me an offer).

I intentionally aimed for every bump or pothole I could find in the 45 mile ride back to Athens, Tx.  I never thought the front end was bad on any of my baggers but the back end could be a little rough depending on the hole or bump that I might hit.  The ride home yesterday....it was the front end that I felt.....the back end was super smooth.  I mean smooth to the point that now I'm feeling every little crack in the road through the front end.  I told Babe that now I'm going to have to do something with the front end because the Super Shox are so incredible that I just didn't notice anything on the rear but a soft, almost "floating" type of ride even on bumps, potholes and driveways, etc.

For the record....I did not get a free set of shocks from them.  I did not get a discount or anything.....I paid full price at the dealership for the shocks and for Lone Star HD's service.  For what it's worth, I'm just sharing with you that these are simply great shocks and the smoothest ride I've ever had on a Harley and I got great service at Lone Star HD.

Here's a couple of links for their information....

http://supershox.com/super-shox-launches-premier-line-of-shock-absorbers-for-harley-davidson-fl-models/

http://supershox.com/super-shox-detail/
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
Re: Super Shox Premium Series review
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 04:15:47 PM »

JCZ, I'm glad to see that you are happy with your Super Shox. It's nice to get feed back from another rider. I too am considering doing something up front now. I'm going to give it a little time. I spoke with Brian at SS and he said they will be coming out with front end kits soon. You might want to give him a call. Like you I get absolutely nothing from SS. I'm just really impressed with their product.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »

Yes and thank you Big Chuck for your comments regarding these shocks.  I probably wouldn't have them if it weren't for you. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:06:14 PM »

the stock shocks were fine as long as I kept them at a firm setting (due to my riding style). 

"Bat out of Hell" is a riding style?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:12:33 AM »

I got a reply back from Brian at Super Shox.  They hope to have the front suspension in production by summer.  :bananarock:

West Coast GTG   

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »

I got a reply back from Brian at Super Shox.  They hope to have the front suspension in production by summer.  :bananarock:

Did you happen to ask what model it will fit?
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »

Did you happen to ask what model it will fit?

I sent him an email yesterday (Sat.) and this was his reply last night:

JC

We are working on 2009 to 2018 both 41mm and 49mm for touring models.

Thank You
Brian

West Coast GTG   

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »

I'm thinking about getting these. Here is a write-up from American Iron Garage if anyone is interested.

http://supershox.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/AmericanIronGarage_SeptOct_2017.pdf

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »

JCZ and BigChuck, what size shock did you buy? 12, 13, 14" ?
Any which series? Premier, Premium, or Platinum?

Now that you've been riding them a bit longer, are you still floating down the highway?

DH

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:06:10 PM »

Simon I bought the stock length which I believe was 13".

Yes, compared to the stock OEM air shocks, these shocks are a huge improvement.  A really nice feature is that you can adjust the  shocks by hand without any tools.

West Coast GTG   

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 09:37:12 PM »

Simon I bought the stock length which I believe was 13".

Yes, compared to the stock OEM air shocks, these shocks are a huge improvement.  A really nice feature is that you can adjust the  shocks by hand without any tools.

I'm looking at the 14" to get the maximum travel distance. Then I just have to choose how hard I want to hit my wallet, Premium or Platinum (ouch!).

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »

I'm looking at the 14" to get the maximum travel distance. Then I just have to choose how hard I want to hit my wallet, Premium or Platinum (ouch!).

As I understand this, the 14" are still going to give the same ride height at the 13".  The 14" are laid down a bit with swingarm relocation mounts.  This drops the swingarm into stock height, but gives the longer stroke of the 14". 

I believe this is what Chuck used on his install.

It makes sense to me to do this as it increases the travel of the shock over the same wheel movement over the 13" shock normally mounted.

I've looked at the 14", but still cannot feel comfortable laying out that much money for shocks.  Although I've been fighting my '09 SERG rears for several years now.  Any pulling the trailer makes it a bit more of a challenge too.

Good luck with your choice.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »

As I understand this, the 14" are still going to give the same ride height at the 13".  The 14" are laid down a bit with swingarm relocation mounts.  This drops the swingarm into stock height, but gives the longer stroke of the 14". 

I believe this is what Chuck used on his install.

It makes sense to me to do this as it increases the travel of the shock over the same wheel movement over the 13" shock normally mounted.

Take it for a ride on the type of roads you'd normally ride and if you need to adjust, it's just a matter of pulling over, removing one saddle bag at a time and turn the shock with your hand, a half turn or so.  It's amazing how much difference a half turn can make in the ride.  Just experiment with the adjustments a little and you'll find the sweet spot for you.

My sweet spot, as soon as I put Babe on the back, 120 lbs., and a her leathers, etc. it makes a noticeable difference and so I have to adjust the shocks half a turn.

I've looked at the 14", but still cannot feel comfortable laying out that much money for shocks.  Although I've been fighting my '09 SERG rears for several years now.  Any pulling the trailer makes it a bit more of a challenge too.

Good luck with your choice.

Simon, this jogs my memory a bit.  I have the 14" with the relocation mount....but it sits stock height. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:24:39 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 12:40:57 AM »

Simon, this jogs my memory a bit.  I have the 14" with the relocation mount....but it sits stock height. 

Same here
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 10:13:10 AM »

Got a response.....$800 for a pair of premium Shox.

A quick search shows Ohlins at up to $875....and Progressives at up to $675.

Certainly considering the Shox for a winter upgrade to the Harley Premium Adjustables that I have never been impressed with........only one side adjustable, I think, is the root of the  "twisty" feeling.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 10:45:16 AM »

Got a response.....$800 for a pair of premium Shox.

A quick search shows Ohlins at up to $875....and Progressives at up to $675.

Certainly considering the Shox for a winter upgrade to the Harley Premium Adjustables that I have never been impressed with........only one side adjustable, I think, is the root of the  "twisty" feeling.

Get them from Gerald Harris at Horny Toad, discounted 20% then pay for shipping.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.