Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ABS Recall  (Read 2677 times)

*58Vette

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond w/Crimson Tag Graphics
ABS Recall
« on: May 07, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »

Dropped the bike off this weekend for new tires.  The dealership did the ABS recall; didn't call to tell me the bike was finished.  I called them today and the service manager stated "I have been wanting to call you".  I ask what's up?  He said they did the ABS recall and now my rear brake is locked.  I didn't ask them to do the recall either; guess they can just do work on your bike without permission.  Anyway, they said the brake fluid doesn't look like it had bee changed.  I call the dealer which I had a maintenance package through and ask them when the last time they changed it?  They said "We never change brake fluid unless the customer asks us to".  I call the mothership customer service and he stated the dealers are required to check for moisture and if it above 3 percent they should have told me, as per the maintenance schedule.  Now I have a file number and will see what will happen.   I wanted new tires so I could ride to Myrtle Beach for the week starting Friday.  Sure seems like next week is going to suck, the condo is already paid for.   >:(

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
Re: ABS Recall
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »

ask for a loaner bike. my dealer has done this in the past.(may not do it now, but has before)
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 07:23:59 PM »

I call the dealer which I had a maintenance package through and ask them when the last time they changed it?  They said "We never change brake fluid unless the customer asks us to".  I call the mothership customer service and he stated the dealers are required to check for moisture and if it above 3 percent they should have told me, as per the maintenance schedule.
This is exactly why I don't buy the dealer's Pit Pass or whatever they call it, and when I do take the bike for something I can't or won't do, I tell them exactly what I want and make them contact me for anything beyond that.  Otherwise, they charge for services they don't actually perform, or they don't perform things they're supposed to do.

One strategy for preventing the empty wallet syndrome:  If you're going in for a mileage service, instead of telling them to do the 5K service, ask for just the fluid changes (and any checks you want done) that are called for on that 5K service.  If no problems are found, it will cost less than the dealer's 5K svc price.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 07:39:48 AM »

Hello ‘58Vette,
Your situation truly sucks big time. Be happy brake failure didn’t happen while driving!
Just had recall done on my ‘09 Ultra, and was taking in my sons ‘10 RK for same, when I lost rear brakes, hard petal, no braking, fluid not passing through ABS module. The valves in module are frozen due to corrosion and this problem is widespread and is the basis for recall. Bike has been serviced regularly to include brake and clutch fluid flushes. This is a ABS HCU design flaw but HD is taking the low road and blaming the owners. (Oh yeah, they are using a new, improved DOT4 fluid, could there have been something wrong with the HD fluid that was originally used??).
We were heading to Oregon 6/2 for a two week ride but now are scrambling to get it fixed. HD will likely be stealing $1000 from him before it’s over. It is important that you and anyone who has experienced this file a report with HD and the NHTSA. Only HD would put an ABS unit that fails with the loss of brakes on a motorcycle‼️ There have been numerous accidents and injuries as a result and a recall for ABS module replacement for all affected bikes and compensation for anyone who has paid for repairs needs to happen. This defect can affect front or rear brakes and will kill someone.
It’s getting harder and harder to stay loyal to Harley-Davidson.
Good luck with your situation and Happy Memorial Day 🇺🇸
Be safe,
TOM P.

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.