Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: replace intake or not?  (Read 1099 times)

ChuckJr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

replace intake or not?
« on: May 28, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »

I have a 13 CVO Ultra Classic with the HD Ventilator Intake. I am looking to complete a Stage 1 with the Fullsac DX and either PowerVision or TTS tuner.

Do you think I should replace the intake too? If so what would you suggest?

MCE

Re: replace intake or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »

Probably not needed at that level. Do that if (when) you get the heads ported IMO. Hope that helps.

PS: Talk to one of the tuners here. I don't think tts is very good but I could be mistaken about that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:54:09 PM by MCE Performance »

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »

Probably not needed at that level. Do that if (when) you get the heads ported IMO. Hope that helps.

PS: Talk to one of the tuners here. I don't think tts is very good but I could be mistaken about that.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »

I agree on waiting until head work.   I have to disagree about the quality of TTS.  It’s the best tuner out there IMO.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »

A dozen years ago the answer would have been to upgrade the air cleaner and install a free flowing exhaust, followed by a good tune, to get a Stage I improvement.  That was when the stock air cleaners were quite restrictive.  With late model bikes that come standard with the Ventilator air cleaner, you already have the equivalent of the Stage I air cleaner.  If I was you, I'd wait on doing air cleaner updates until you make other changes that will increase the breathing capabilities of the engine.  That would be things like head work, larger throttle bodies, larger displacement, higher performance cams.

As for tuning, TTS is probably the most capable system on the market for knowledgeable users/tuners.  A more important question involves not the system, but who you plan to have use that system to actually tune your bike.  Spend a lot more time on finding the best tuner, and then let that person help you decide what system to use.  If you're just planning to use a tuning system to load canned maps, then you need to research which company has the best library of maps for your bike and your planned changes. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ChuckJr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »

:apple: thank you so much for the replies. It is what i had figured but wanted to tap into the collective.

To answer some of the other points:

Yes, I did find a tuner first. The tuner (holds certifications on multiple tuning platforms) says PowerVision and TTS would give the same outcome with a custom dyno tuner yet powervision is cheaper cost.

With all of that said Adapt Performance in Lafayette,LA is the tuner I have chosen. Is there anyone with any experience with that shop?  Anyone else you would recommend in South Louisiana?

MCE

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 03:23:54 PM »

I'm confusing the tts with something else then. I'm not a tuner (nor do I want to be). I leave it
to the guys that do it for a living.   

But getting back to the air cleaner for a moment; The air cleaner is not enough of a restriction.
Even that stock football looking assembly flows enough air for most street applications.

Out of the entire intake tract, the valve seat is the most restrictive part, by far. So anything you
can do to improve that will get you some nice gains. If the heads are stock, a fancy air cleaner
really won't do a whole lot.

- Peace out, Matt 

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »

Chuck,

You already have a ventilator and 58mm intake manifold, good as you need. We don’t have anyone to brag about here in BR but, mike cat’s in meterie is the best I know of.

Craig
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:55:19 PM by King Glide »
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

ChuckJr

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 06:10:11 PM »

I seen others comment about Mike Cats as well. I need to reach out to him and see what he would suggest and charge. Thanks for the reminder Craig! 

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 07:28:13 PM »

A dozen years ago the answer would have been to upgrade the air cleaner and install a free flowing exhaust, followed by a good tune, to get a Stage I improvement.  That was when the stock air cleaners were quite restrictive.  With late model bikes that come standard with the Ventilator air cleaner, you already have the equivalent of the Stage I air cleaner.  If I was you, I'd wait on doing air cleaner updates until you make other changes that will increase the breathing capabilities of the engine.  That would be things like head work, larger throttle bodies, larger displacement, higher performance cams.

As for tuning, TTS is probably the most capable system on the market for knowledgeable users/tuners.  A more important question involves not the system, but who you plan to have use that system to actually tune your bike.  Spend a lot more time on finding the best tuner, and then let that person help you decide what system to use.  If you're just planning to use a tuning system to load canned maps, then you need to research which company has the best library of maps for your bike and your planned changes. 

JMHO - Jerry

Can you share any examples of a feature or capability you believe TTS delivers that makes it a better tuner than the Powervision?

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 10:01:34 PM »

Chuck,

You already have a ventilator and 58mm intake manifold, good as you need. We don’t have anyone to brag about here in BR but, mike cat’s in meterie is the best I know of.

Craig

On a stock 2013 I am pretty sure you have a 50mm Throttle Body - but as stated good as you need at this point.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.