Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 03 twin cam 103 rebuild question  (Read 3163 times)

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
03 twin cam 103 rebuild question
« on: June 02, 2018, 10:08:13 PM »

A few years ago my motor flywheels went bad so I rebuilt as a 103 with screaming eagle kompressor heads cam bearing recently took out almost the whole motor. Fly wheels survive and the heads. I ordered a 103 long block thinking I would have to reuse my Kompressor heads to put a deposit 257 cam, but mechanic said he was surprised to see it came with screaming eagle 103 marked heads and the heavy duty race spring so the mechanic said leave them alone they will be fine. My question is, what is the difference between the screaming eagle 103 heads and the screaming eagle kompressor heads?
Thanks
John A. Gonzales

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: 03 twin cam 103 rebuild question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:07:39 AM »

1. SE 103 heads, open chamber SE performance port configuration, 98cc nominal 1.9 & 1.625 valves double springs with damper
2. SE Compressor heads, OEM casting, valves stock, ports stock, milled to 79cc nominal, SE performance beehive springs, badges

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 10:50:17 AM »

So the valves are bigger and ports better sounds like? The kompressor gave me  10.5/1 compression ratio. What could I expect from the SE 103's?
Thanks
John A. Gonzales l

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »

8.6:1 nominal. Some assumptions, piston diameter at top 3.8, distance to top ring .15, piston eyebrow reliefs -1.5cc, pistons .008 in the hole, stock head gasket .045 compressed, 98cc head chamber

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »

Thank you that's good to know. I was just a little concerned if my Screamin Eagle 257 cam would be okay but it says it's good up to 10 to 1 and I was running it with a 10 and a half to one so it'll probably still be fine still give me plenty of torque I may not be a member of the Hundred Doors Club anymore but at least I'll be riding.
Thanks
John A. Gonzales

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »

Nope, it will be very sluggish until 3200. It runs best at 11:1

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »

Well the cams already been installed I wonder if getting rid of my true duals and replacing them with either a 2 into 1 or S&S power tune duals would help take up some of the slack

MCE

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 10:01:45 PM »

You need the compression to match the cams you have in it. A pipe won't correct or make up for that. It will be a dog
without the compression. You can run it like that, but you're not going to like it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:06:04 PM by MCE Performance »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 09:42:55 AM »

Nope, it will be very sluggish until 3200. It runs best at 11:1

MCE

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 09:51:10 AM »

Is there an echo in here?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »

So the next question, can the heads be milled to get there. No, it would take too much cut to do it practically.  Arias made special popular pistons for these heads but I think they were bought. Might try the net. 103+ and htcc pistons will work if you happen to find those harley parts NOS. If not you can use domes meant for the bath tub chamber. May take a combination of milling and a small dome.

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 10:03:37 AM »

So here is an update.
This long block job should have been done over 2 months ago. I ask questions here because I saw things that the installer was doing that I didn't agree with. He calls himself a master tech and I can't call him that. He was argumentative condescending and quick tempered and Thunderbird Harley allowed it.
They were supposed to reinstall my Kompressor heads with the SE257 cams. He was so excited when he saw the SE 103 and didn't listen to me. The first thing I noticed was the Valve springs were the old style doubles which I noted because Harley normally uses beehives on everything now especially performance heads. he wanted to used perfect fit pushrods rather than my se adjustable which he made up stories about and turns out he doesn't know how to adjust them. Did I mention that he ordered the wrong ones? causing more problems.

I kept taking the bike back cause it ran horrible backfires at 3,000 rpms has a nasty vibration throughout the entire band and even worse at 3,000 rpms.

They kept putting me off as if I was just being a whiner even though I should them fairing screws we vibrating out.

Finally I went in and blew up with the assistant general manager who called the GM at home who came in.  I told him about all the problems with the bike  and everything that was wrong and  now 2months of my warranty on the long block is gone. and the attitudes I was getting in the back  so people got chewed out.

Yesterday they called me up and apologized to me. they said they pulled all the specs and paperwork together and said the heads were not set up for the cams. with the stroker pistons I would have had 10/1 compression but the heads were not set up for anything past a 510 lift cam. Mine is a 569 lift. They said I right on the springs the heads the pushrods and lifter and vibrations. oh and my front motor mount is a glide-pro which torque is supposed to be 12 ft lbs. He torqued to 40.

This mechanic Brian cam here from a Kansas dealership and I get the feeling they fired him. Thunderbird says he will never build another motor again. I can't believe they didn't fire him for all the problems and the money the dealership now has to pay to make this right.

I have missed several trips and totally frustrated.  I shouldn't have had to lose my temper to get attentions but so far looks like its getting back on track

Thanks for the replies I got which helped a lot
John A. Gonzales

MCE

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 04:58:22 PM »

Dealerships don't attract the best techs allot of times b/c they don't want to pay what a really good one
is worth.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 10:46:42 AM »

Dealerships don't attract the best techs allot of times b/c they don't want to pay what a really good one
is worth.
According to two of my riding buddies same comment came from them as they both work at HD dealers in the 80's together as well as the dealer stole thier ideas. One has been working out of his garage ever since. Still busy with shovel heads and older bikes.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »

is worth.

Aren't those guys supposed to graduate from the PHD program, whatever that means? If so, you would think they would have the know how, if not the knowledge.
How much do dealer mechanics earn?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.