Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deer  (Read 1409 times)

Sinker

• Junior CVO Member
Deer
« on: June 15, 2018, 07:51:30 PM »

This year seems like there are a lot more deer around the roads than I can ever remember. Every ride I have taken this year has had deer close by the
road. They creep me out.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Deer
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:32:26 PM »

I’ve seen more this year too.  I don’t hunt but I am thankful for those who do.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »

It's the same here in the Black Hills.  And a couple of days ago we did roll up on an accident scene where the traffic was funneled down to one lane on the median strip shoulder with the dead deer split wide open just a few feet from the traffic lane.  The ambulance was already on the scene before we got up to it and several first responders standing around the open back door.  The bike was on it's kickstand but the front end and the fairing was a mess.  Not sure why the ambulance hadn't left before we got there and was still there after we passed.  We can only assume that he may have been able to ride it out and they were just checking him out.  Let's hope....
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DuraGlide

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WV

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »

It's that time of year when the does start moving with their fawns. They are apt to make some crazy moves like running back and forth in traffic. I've hit 5 over the years in my cars and clipped one on the bike a couple years ago. Managed to miss everything but it's rear hoof, which just grazed the crash bar. Too close for comfort on that one.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »

It's the same here in the Black Hills.  And a couple of days ago we did roll up on an accident scene where the traffic was funneled down to one lane on the median strip shoulder with the dead deer split wide open just a few feet from the traffic lane.  The ambulance was already on the scene before we got up to it and several first responders standing around the open back door.  The bike was on it's kickstand but the front end and the fairing was a mess.  Not sure why the ambulance hadn't left before we got there and was still there after we passed.  We can only assume that he may have been able to ride it out and they were just checking him out.  Let's hope....

JCZ:

Be very careful especially at night. Deer are known to cross the road in groups. So if one crossesin front of you there may be several more right behind it including a straggler or two. Also, they are known for crossing back over again.

I always just stop and wait for a minute to see what happens next and proceed slowly out of the danger area before resuming my speed.

RIDE SAFE

REGARDS

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »

I saw on another forum, that the best way to never see a deer is to dress in camouflage and strap a 30.06 across the bike.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »

I saw on another forum, that the best way to never see a deer is to dress in camouflage and strap a 30.06 across the bike.

Haha!

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 10:47:03 PM »

This one put on the brakes, but they don't work well when flying as I twisted the throttle and we just missed a meeting. Donna just happened to be taking pictures and had her camera going.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 09:08:33 AM »

And they are so cute at this stage----
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.