Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: T-Shirt Quilt/Blanket  (Read 2531 times)

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
T-Shirt Quilt/Blanket
« on: June 22, 2018, 12:57:41 AM »

I’ve been considering a T-Shirt quilt for at least the past 3 years. Everywhere I looked the prices ranged from $850 - $1400 for Queen/King size. Way more than I would pay. Then I ran across Project Repat, http://www.projectrepat.com

They call their product a quilt but to be fair it’s really a blanket. Instead of batting and cloth, they use a fleece blanket and sew on the t-shirt panels. The simple queen size cost $240. You’re offered a 10% discount for your email address. If you put an order in the cart you’ll get a 25% off code in about a week. If you wait for a holiday special you get 40% off. After 12 months I decided to sacrifice 30 shirts and ordered a queen for $148 after discount. I also paid about $35 to ship the shirts. Order took about 4wks to complete.

I’m happy with how it came out but it’s NOT a quilt.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: T-Shirt Quilt/Blanket
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »

Looks great!  Here’s mine, my mom made it out of 25 shirts...she put the pocket of one in the middle as a remote control holder.  Too bad my wife won’t let me keep it on our bed but it’ll be a great heirloom to pass down to my son.

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 07:10:03 AM »

Guys, these look great.  I've got more Harley t-shirts than Carter had liver pills so this would be a fun option to do.  I'm fairly sure this wouldn't make it to the bed but, as SIK posted, it would be a fun heirloom to pass along. 

"Hey, lookie at where Mamaw and Papaw went all those years ago on their motorcycle".  "Hey Pops, what's a motorcycle"...and there starteth the lesson..... ;D

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »

I have posted in the past about the site Campus Quilt and have been very happy with their quality of work over the years and plan to use them soon for a pair of play quilts for my grandkids. They make many sizes and types of quilts and pillows out of shirts and other clothing. You also can choose the color and fabric of your backing material as well as options for embroidery, digital photo squares etc.
I am surprised at the prices you were finding DesertHOG for the king size quilt at Campus Quilt they start at around $420. Smaller sizes way less.

https://www.campusquilt.com/

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:37:46 AM »

Looks great!  Here’s mine, my mom made it out of 25 shirts...she put the pocket of one in the middle as a remote control holder.  Too bad my wife won’t let me keep it on our bed but it’ll be a great heirloom to pass down to my son.

My Queen took 49 panels. That translated to 30 t-shirts. I’ve been favoring wearing long sleeve shirts, so short sleeves got converted to this memorial to my trips. Glad it’s on my bed but may move to the den sofa someday. This also helped clean out the closet.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »

I have posted in the past about the site Campus Quilt and have been very happy with their quality of work over the years and plan to use them soon for a pair of play quilts for my grandkids. They make many sizes and types of quilts and pillows out of shirts and other clothing. You also can choose the color and fabric of your backing material as well as options for embroidery, digital photo squares etc.
I am surprised at the prices you were finding DesertHOG for the king size quilt at Campus Quilt they start at around $420. Smaller sizes way less.

https://www.campusquilt.com/

Nice. Seems similar to Repat method but use flannel back instead of fleece. Nice that they use a quilt-like stitch. Didn’t see mention of using batting material.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 09:53:53 AM »

I’ve been considering a T-Shirt quilt for at least the past 3 years. Everywhere I looked the prices ranged from $850 - $1400 for Queen/King size. Way more than I would pay. Then I ran across Project Repat, http://www.projectrepat.com

They call their product a quilt but to be fair it’s really a blanket. Instead of batting and cloth, they use a fleece blanket and sew on the t-shirt panels. The simple queen size cost $240. You’re offered a 10% discount for your email address. If you put an order in the cart you’ll get a 25% off code in about a week. If you wait for a holiday special you get 40% off. After 12 months I decided to sacrifice 30 shirts and ordered a queen for $148 after discount. I also paid about $35 to ship the shirts. Order took about 4wks to complete.

You know you can take it to a quilting shop and they can run it through their quilting machine in order to get the stitching throughout...that's what my mom did, she sewed it all together but had it quilted at a shop, don't think is was expensive but not sure.  I guess it still wouldn't be a "quilt" without the batting but if it was quilt stitched it would definitely make it stronger and last longer (sorry for the rhyme).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:00:00 AM by SIKBIRD »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 10:05:01 AM »

Campus Quilt does use some sort of batting that is white and fluffy. ( I saw some of it when one of my t-shirt squares got a small rip in it because of wear and tear after 9 years of daily use.) My wife sewed it shut and the quilt is back in use. Otherwise the quilt I showed in the photo is holding up under daily use since 2009 and many machine washing and drying cycles.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »

Really cool guys, thanks for sharing!

BigLew

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »

Hers mine, a coworkers wife made this one for me, a lot of detail went into this. The back round is a black top lane, and the compas signs. She says this is the first t shirt one she has done.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:38:04 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 11:30:18 AM »

Hers mine, a coworkers wife made this one for me, a lot of detail went into this. The back round is a black top lane, and the compas signs. She says this is the first t shirt one she has done.

Tell her it's a job well done.

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »

It's your story and you can call it what ever you want.  ;)
Really does look pretty cool. Would make a nice piece in a man cave.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »

My wife is a quilter. For those who don't know a quilt consists of a four components, a pieced together "top" (this would be all the t-shirts sewed together with a border to separate them and a exterior border). The middle section is either cotton or synthetic "batting" material, and the back is once again most times a pieced together and corresponds to the top pattern (t-shirts in this case) bottom would be a map of the top, or the back of the t-shirts if the top was the front of shirt) but can be a single large piece of material. These three pieces are fastened together to create a "quilt" by either hand (very cool but unbelievably time consuming) or by a machine, some of which now have computer designs that can be used. This procedure is either done in a constasting color thread or a color that blends in. Then a contrasting material color is used to "band"  all the way around the edges and seal the three pieces together. Costly and time consuming.
A blanket is one piece of material, no top, no middle, no back, just a piece of warm cloth. You sew two blankets together, you still have a blanket. Quilt has to have the pieced together pattern.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 04:07:12 PM »

It's your story and you can call it whatever you want;)
Really does look pretty cool. Would make a nice piece in a man cave.

Yeah, just trying to let people know if they decide to use this service just exactly what they would be getting.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 04:10:36 PM »

My wife is a quilter. For those who don't know a quilt consists of a four components, a pieced together "top" (this would be all the t-shirts sewed together with a border to separate them and a exterior border). The middle section is either cotton or synthetic "batting" material, and the back is once again most times a pieced together and corresponds to the top pattern (t-shirts in this case) bottom would be a map of the top, or the back of the t-shirts if the top was the front of shirt) but can be a single large piece of material. These three pieces are fastened together to create a "quilt" by either hand (very cool but unbelievably time consuming) or by a machine, some of which now have computer designs that can be used. This procedure is either done in a constasting color thread or a color that blends in. Then a contrasting material color is used to "band"  all the way around the edges and seal the three pieces together. Costly and time consuming.
A blanket is one piece of material, no top, no middle, no back, just a piece of warm cloth. You sew two blankets together, you still have a blanket. Quilt has to have the pieced together pattern.

Hmmm.. okay, well then I guess it's a quilt but not on the high end of the food chain.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »

What a good idea, I have more t's than one man should have.  I could do 3 or 4 different themed quilt / blankets and still have shirts left!  When your overly concerned about the condition of your laundry (Anal) you end up accumulating a lot of shirts over time.  Gentle cycle, woolite & hand dry (the edge of a pool table works great) you end up with 30 plus year t's.  All the pics look great.  Gonna have to order at least one.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:25:56 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 06:50:22 PM »

I enjoy seeing all the posts with everyone's version of a quilt, it shows their riding history/travels. I like that the company I posted about earlier can make items such as wall hangings, pillows, tote bags, chair throws as well as various size quilts so you are not limited on what to do with all the t-shirts.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 03:56:56 AM »

I have a quilt made from the bandanas Harley used to sell.  I don't think they even sell them anymore . It is about 25 years old. The woman who made it received a letter from Harley's lawyers telling her to stop making them.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 01:28:25 PM »

Here's one of those 40% Holiday codes. This one is good for 4th of July only.

Special 4th of July Sale! Take 40% off and join more than 200,000 VERY happy customers. Order now and get our LOWEST price for the holidays before prices go up!

40%* OFF CODE: July4th

Expires tonight at 11:59PM PST.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.