Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I'm Back after a Six year absence....  (Read 3817 times)

85FXRS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

Re: I'm Back after a Six year absence....
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »

Don't forget to checkout the threads from many of us who love our M8 cvo's and have put thousands of trouble free miles on them. Just saying!
yes people roll the dice see how that works. that makes a lot of sense when you toss 40 grand at a bike, then add some other goodies to it. just a figure of 10 grand  and you have a huge pile of change in a bike that may not be the one you can tell everyone  how great it is . you drew the short straw. not be maok you but only a reality check .

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 04:51:44 PM »

The first thing you need to do Dawg is ignore all the people, dealership or here, who tell you don't worry about having the warranty voided for modifications.  Things have changed since 2016, and Harley signed a consent decree with the EPA that specifically requires them to void the warranty on any bike with illegal modifications.  It's not the wink and nod system of the old days, and it has nothing to do with your favorite dealer "working with you".  That dealer can easily find himself answering not only to H-D but the EPA itself, and the fines start at around $10k per violation per day.  In other words, only truly ignorant dealership folks still sell illegal mods for 2017 and later bikes or claim those mods won't affect your warranty.

As for the severe engine issues on the M8's, read some of the threads around here on sumping.  Heatwave and SDCVO have threads detailing their multiple failures with new replacement engines.  Other forums have large numbers of reported failures as well, on base model 107's as well as 114 and 117 versions.  Is it a 100% certain to fail issue?  Not so far, but if you ride aggressively the odds of failures go way up.  I seem to remember you weren't exactly a putt down the road at 2500 rpm kind of guy.

Welcome back.  I'd recommend what some others have already told you, wait for the 2019 models.  There are indications that Harley made some changes to the cases that may have finally fixed the root cause of the problem (see Heatwave's latest posts).  It's highly unlikely Harley will go back and fix all the 2017 and 2018 bikes if it takes new cases or case modifications to really fix them.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »

yes people roll the dice see how that works. that makes a lot of sense when you toss 40 grand at a bike, then add some other goodies to it. just a figure of 10 grand  and you have a huge pile of change in a bike that may not be the one you can tell everyone  how great it is . you drew the short straw. not be maok you but only a reality check .
Do you own a M8 cvo?
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »

Do you own a M8 cvo, Jerry? My point is I do and I'm happy with it after 1 year and almost 10k miles. A lot of us repeat other peoples experiences based on one persons point of view and give opinions without any personal experience. I do agree that hopping up a M8 is not a good idea. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1238654-does-anyone-like-their-m8-11.html
The first thing you need to do Dawg is ignore all the people, dealership or here, who tell you don't worry about having the warranty voided for modifications.  Things have changed since 2016, and Harley signed a consent decree with the EPA that specifically requires them to void the warranty on any bike with illegal modifications.  It's not the wink and nod system of the old days, and it has nothing to do with your favorite dealer "working with you".  That dealer can easily find himself answering not only to H-D but the EPA itself, and the fines start at around $10k per violation per day.  In other words, only truly ignorant dealership folks still sell illegal mods for 2017 and later bikes or claim those mods won't affect your warranty.

As for the severe engine issues on the M8's, read some of the threads around here on sumping.  Heatwave and SDCVO have threads detailing their multiple failures with new replacement engines.  Other forums have large numbers of reported failures as well, on base model 107's as well as 114 and 117 versions.  Is it a 100% certain to fail issue?  Not so far, but if you ride aggressively the odds of failures go way up.  I seem to remember you weren't exactly a putt down the road at 2500 rpm kind of guy.

Welcome back.  I'd recommend what some others have already told you, wait for the 2019 models.  There are indications that Harley made some changes to the cases that may have finally fixed the root cause of the problem (see Heatwave's latest posts).  It's highly unlikely Harley will go back and fix all the 2017 and 2018 bikes if it takes new cases or case modifications to really fix them.

JMHO - Jerry
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:08:04 PM by kojak »
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »

Do you own a M8 cvo, Jerry? My point is I do and I'm happy with it after 1 year and almost 10k miles. A lot of us repeat other peoples experiences based on one persons point of view and give opinions without any personal experience. I do agree that hopping up a M8 is not a good idea.

I definitely would agree that no one should make any decisions about M8 bikes based on just my personal experience with sumping (4 engines). But its is definitely worth noting that on HDForums there are 2-4 NEW sumping experiences being posted every WEEK. 2 new ones were just reported today., a 2018 stock trike 107 and a 2017 stage IV 114. I think it would be reasonable for anyone looking at 2017 or 2018 M8 bikes to do their research and decide for themselves based on the available information with dealers and on information available on the various forums.

With respect to voiding warranties, you should also do your homework. Drivetrain warranties are being voided for things that would have been considered innocuous in the past. Don't let others convince you that you can get away with Non-HD or Non-EPA approved changes to the engine/exhaust and that you won't put your warranty at risk. Minor infractions have and will continue to result in massive bills to repair your bike during the 2 yr factory warranty period should it be voided for non-compliance to the warranty terms.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:12:36 PM by Heatwave »

85FXRS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »

I definitely would agree that no one should make any decisions about M8 bikes based on just my personal experience with sumping (4 engines). But its is definitely worth noting that on HDForums there are 2-4 NEW sumping experiences being posted every WEEK. 2 new ones were just reported today., a 2018 stock trike 107 and a 2017 stage IV 114. I think it would be reasonable for anyone looking at 2017 or 2018 M8 bikes to do their research and decide for themselves based on the available information with dealers and on information available on the various forums.

With respect to voiding warranties, you should also do your homework. Drivetrain warranties are being voided for things that would have been considered innocuous in the past. Don't let others convince you that you can get away with Non-HD or Non-EPA approved changes to the engine/exhaust and that you won't put your warranty at risk. Minor infractions have and will continue to result in massive bills to repair your bike during the 2 yr factory warranty period should it be voided for non-compliance to the warranty terms.
that goes for all of us. people are not lying about what is happening to be sure. people who use the forum  for passing info, and  to help people make a decision or  just for info are not big mouthed  internet  jerks as has been stated.f  seems some do not want people in the know the fact of the matter.
Heatwave got it right and everyone should appreciate his detailed info he put out. seems straight up to me, been down the road he has been on and quite possibly more so ..  hoping  HD gets a real fix, and lets it be know because their business just may depend on it,  under todays circumstances.  and uncertainty .the ball is in their corner so we shall see.

85FXRS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 07:30:21 PM »

Do you own a M8 cvo?
  yip certainly do.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 11:24:52 PM »

World has changed. Make any of those aftermarket changes to the engine or exhaust from the past and you’ll void your factory warranty. Which you may very well need if you buy a 2018. Read up on “sumping” and SB1450. It applies to ALL 2017 and 2018 bikes with the Milwaukee 8 engine.

My recommendation: Wait for the 2019s. If you buy the 2019 install ONLY HD components on the engine, exhaust and drivetrain for the first 2 yrs (factory warranty).

You have alot of catching up to do.
Great advice!
Alan
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.