Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.  (Read 15841 times)

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
Re: HD's fix for the oil transfer as of now.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 02:26:22 PM »

Here is the link to the pictures from another rider that has vented his or according to the thread the rep did it or saw it and went back to HD. Sorry, I'm not getting the whole thread, just the picture.

&ifg=1
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:29:23 PM by Tn.Heritage »
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 03:05:24 PM »

So the local dealers will be drilling and tapping the inner primaries and installing vent tubes, similar in concept to the vents on the transmissions?  (old 5-speeds anyway, not sure if the 6-speeds on the M8s are vented or not).

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »

So the local dealers will be drilling and tapping the inner primaries and installing vent tubes, similar in concept to the vents on the transmissions?  (old 5-speeds anyway, not sure if the 6-speeds on the M8s are vented or not).

They are vented through the top cover with a U-shaped hose, like the earlier transmissions.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 06:49:20 PM »

I also found a pic of how to fix the oil transfer problem.  Will fix sumping too.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 09:19:21 PM »

Am I the only one who is even slightly unsettled when the response to a new problem that's never been clearly diagnosed in a sealed system that's only received evolutionary changes over an extended period of years is: "let's poke a hole in it?"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2018, 09:30:14 PM »

Am I the only one who is even slightly unsettled when the response to a new problem that's never been clearly diagnosed in a sealed system that's only received evolutionary changes over an extended period of years is: "let's poke a hole in it?"

Sounds like steam escaping?    :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 12:43:49 AM »

I also found a pic of how to fix the oil transfer problem.  Will fix sumping too.
Cant argue that :2vrolijk_21:

ultrarider123

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 07:09:53 AM »

Now DAT'S phuny rat dare....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 08:18:20 AM »

Nope, I'm right there with you.  As an old shade tree guy for almost 54 years now, I do have a certain amount of appreciation for just doing what it takes to get something working.  But I don't expect shade tree crap from a manufacturer on a new highly overpriced piece of equipment.  For the prices they charge, I expect first class engineering and quality.  I guess that's why I've refused to buy anything from them in many years now.  I often question if they actually have an engineering department at all, or do they just farm everything out to their lowest bidder suppliers?

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »

Nope, I'm right there with you.  As an old shade tree guy for almost 54 years now, I do have a certain amount of appreciation for just doing what it takes to get something working.  But I don't expect shade tree crap from a manufacturer on a new highly overpriced piece of equipment.  For the prices they charge, I expect first class engineering and quality.  I guess that's why I've refused to buy anything from them in many years now.  I often question if they actually have an engineering department at all, or do they just farm everything out to their lowest bidder suppliers?

Jerry

Your remark suggests another question Jerry.  The supply chain.  In a normal relationship a supplier (for a worst case scenario think of Takata) will suffer charge backs or other negotiated costs/penalties if their engineering or manufacturing is deficient and incurs costs on a final assembler or up-chain manufacturer. 

If that final OE has guidelines or poor engineering/assembly that leads to the problems the suppliers simply bail.  The trade press, however, doesn't say much about Harley suppliers bailing on them.  They're not captive suppliers.  So can't help but wonder how much of the all too common problems seen are (at that level of negotiation) recognized by Harley to be Harley's fault so recovery costs aren't pushed downhill or, if not, what else is unreported in the background.

85FXRS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 11:47:38 PM »

now there is a real fix.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 04:40:35 AM »

TmHeritage...let us know how this works.  I assume it’s a one way valve.  ..right?   This just might be the fix... what’s puzzling is why this was not discovered in the design,engineering,and testing of the M8.?

Just saying  :-*
only 3 weeks till we see the 2019 lineup.  I’ll bet the M8s all have this

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 06:27:14 AM »

only 3 weeks till we see the 2019 lineup.  I’ll bet the M8s all have this
  That's what I was told anyways.
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 02:29:37 PM »

I expect first class engineering and quality
Jerry

Refer to reply # 18.

SG
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:31:31 PM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »

Most reliable Harley would be with some other motor in it. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.