Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Discount ESP vs. Harley ESP?  (Read 5146 times)

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Discount ESP vs. Harley ESP?
« on: September 11, 2018, 09:26:22 AM »

Anyone have experience with the discounted ESP program sold by Boardtracker? The pricing is considerably lower. I've been quoted 5yr with wheel and tire for the same price Harley is quoting me for their 3 yr plan without wheel and tire. The program is supposedly a mirror of Harley's,  but without the premiums.

Hoping someone here has experience with making claims and can provide some real insight before I make a final decision.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Re: Discount ESP vs. Harley ESP?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:02:53 AM »

Wow

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:27:15 PM »

I have no experience with them but I called and talked to them about it and he said that you need to use a dealer or a indy that excepts there esp I said do you have a list or web site map of the people that deal with your esp plan he said no he does not and did not know where to find one so that was the end of that for me anyway if I have a brake down on the road who in the world would have the time to call around to see if they escepts that coverage

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 12:50:28 PM »

Here on van Isle....the two Indy shops that used to deal with the ESP don't anymore.......no diagnostic time.......up to 90 days to be paid....nickel and dime the bill.......and the only dealer on the Isle is incomp.....useles.....not to my liking!

Just had the compensator replaced......they left a poorly functioning chain tensioner in there.......they test rode it (also had 56,000 km service done) and found NO issues.......top end sounds like rocks in a tin can....back end is loose and has a clunk.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:52:24 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »

Here on van Isle....the two Indy shops that used to deal with the ESP don't anymore.......no diagnostic time.......up to 90 days to be paid....nickel and dime the bill.......and the only dealer on the Isle is incomp.....useles.....not to my liking!

Just had the compensator replaced......they left a poorly functioning chain tensioner in there.......they test rode it (also had 56,000 km service done) and found NO issues.......top end sounds like rocks in a tin can....back end is loose and has a clunk.
So that's issues with the Harley ESP right? I've heard some of that as well. Hoping someone with tje Boardtracker profram can chime in with firsthand experience. Thanks.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 02:22:39 PM »

Boardtracker's ESP is #1 in my book.  They just did a 110 long block in my CVO.   The cost of repairs was going to be pretty close to the replacement of the engine and they did the right thing and just put a new motor in the bike.

Then 2 weeks later the compensator went and they replaced that as well.

The people who handle the claims are professional, bike knowledgeable and great to deal with.

My bike was repaired by an indy that accepted the Boardtracker insurance program.   Be sure that your local HD or indy will work with 3rd party insurance.  That would be my only concern.  Other than that - I'd highly recommend Boardtrackers program.  In fact it is zero deductible, so in my opinion - even better than the Harley program and a whole lot less expensive.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »

I have the ESP from Boardtracker. I had the lifters take out the engine and they put a new long block in. It took a little longer than i would have liked but I don't know if it was the shop or the insurance. I had the work done at a Harley dealer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:59:39 PM by 4fun »

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 06:02:35 PM »

Boardtracker's ESP is #1 in my book.  They just did a 110 long block in my CVO.   The cost of repairs was going to be pretty close to the replacement of the engine and they did the right thing and just put a new motor in the bike.

Then 2 weeks later the compensator went and they replaced that as well.

The people who handle the claims are professional, bike knowledgeable and great to deal with.

My bike was repaired by an indy that accepted the Boardtracker insurance program.   Be sure that your local HD or indy will work with 3rd party insurance.  That would be my only concern.  Other than that - I'd highly recommend Boardtrackers program.  In fact it is zero deductible, so in my opinion - even better than the Harley program and a whole lot less expensive.
What state did the work take place? Thanks!

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 10:29:45 PM »

Florida.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 08:23:32 AM »

Which company actually offers this coverage?  Jim Palmer used to offer an ESP from Cornerstone, but according to the info on the Boardtracker site currently he is offering an ESP from First Extended.  First Extended has some pretty bad reviews in the automotive ESP market; if that's the company involved you might want to do some research before assuming it's as good as the Cornerstone ESP.  Any ESP is only as good as the company ultimately administering and backing it.  Never forget, these things are not warranties and are not regulated like factory warranties.  Some of the companies in this business spend a lot more time and effort finding ways to deny claims than they do paying for repairs. 

Caveat emptor!

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 09:07:38 AM »

Jerry makes a good point.   My ESP is with Cornerstone, so I can't comment on First Extend, if Boardtracker has now changed providers.  Jim at Boardtracker has been offering these contracts for a long time, so I don't think he'd choose a company that would hurt his reputation or future business. 

My Cornerstone policy is a little over a year old, so I'm not sure when they would have changed to FE, but it must have been within the last year.   I'd call JP at BT and see what he has to say about the change, etc.

Another thought.... if you are concerned about First Extend, you might want to call Cornerstone and see if they would see you a contract directly.  If not, I'm sure they could recommend a few places you could buy from.   BT's prices were great, so you might have to shop around a bit.

Regarding the repairs, Cornerstone did ask my indy to price an rebuild, then price an exchange of the engine with factory long block.  This caused a bit of paperwork for my local guy as there are lots of parts to list and price.   So the process did take a little over two months before the new motor was in and I had my bike back.  As I said previously, Cornerstone did the right thing and didn't fight over nickel and dime parts.  I'm very satisfied and wouldn't ever hesitate to recommend them.

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »

Thank you for all of the great insights fellas!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »

Jerry makes a good point.   My ESP is with Cornerstone, so I can't comment on First Extend, if Boardtracker has now changed providers.  Jim at Boardtracker has been offering these contracts for a long time, so I don't think he'd choose a company that would hurt his reputation or future business. 

My Cornerstone policy is a little over a year old, so I'm not sure when they would have changed to FE, but it must have been within the last year.   I'd call JP at BT and see what he has to say about the change, etc.

Another thought.... if you are concerned about First Extend, you might want to call Cornerstone and see if they would see you a contract directly.  If not, I'm sure they could recommend a few places you could buy from.   BT's prices were great, so you might have to shop around a bit.

Regarding the repairs, Cornerstone did ask my indy to price an rebuild, then price an exchange of the engine with factory long block.  This caused a bit of paperwork for my local guy as there are lots of parts to list and price.   So the process did take a little over two months before the new motor was in and I had my bike back.  As I said previously, Cornerstone did the right thing and didn't fight over nickel and dime parts.  I'm very satisfied and wouldn't ever hesitate to recommend them.
I had extensive discussions last fall with Kathy Arquette at Boardtracker / Discount ESP about this change.  She said they changed last year because (for what reason I don't recall) they could not sell Cornerstone in Florida and California.  I see you are in Florida so perhaps that was a change after you bought your  Cornerstone ESP.  Now I was just buying the Wheel & Tire for my new trike and Kathy said she could still provide a Cornerstone ESP if that is what I preferred.  I did and that is what I got.  So AFAIK you can request a Cornerstone ESP anywhere but in Florida and California.

And I mentioned to her the negative reviews I had read online about First Extended as mentioned by Jerry / grc.  I did note that these were all auto / RV related and some seemed suspect in that they'd not followed the rules about getting approval before repairs made, etc.  Some complaints did see legit but then again we don't know all the excruciating details.  Kathy said they'd had no problem with First Extended and that they'd written quite a few contracts.  They are already a pretty big producer for First Extended and would be there to assist ESP contract holders should any problems arise.

Jim Palmer and his crew at Boardtracker / Discount ESP have been selling these contracts for several years now and I've heard nothing negative about them or the ESP contracts.  My local dealer's service manage said he'd have no problem with a third party ESP.  I plan to purchase a mechanical ESP from them when I get near the time for my factory warranty to expire.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 04:37:10 PM »

I plan to purchase a mechanical ESP from them when I get near the time for my factory warranty to expire.

why wait?  while under factory warranty, you get the 'new' vehicle price which is a little less than the 'used' vehicle price.  example, 7 years new = 2 years factory + 5 extended for 1698.00.  or 5 years extended after factory warranty expires for 2398.00.  i know in your case you were gonna still do it within the warranty period, so you would still get the 1698.00 price, but you would basically have tossed out the part that runs concurrent with the factory warranty.  unless it's financial concerns on your end, there really is no good reason to wait, if you know for sure that you are going that route.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

KRISPY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »

I went with 5 yr ESP + Tire and Wheel direct with Harley. It was more money, but I didn't wan to worry about having an issue while traveling. I'm sure the Discounted ESP is a good program, but for the $800 difference over 5yrs I didn't want to chance it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.