Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: How many miles do you drive/ride to work???  (Read 8426 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
How many miles do you drive/ride to work???
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:50:46 PM »

I'm curious how many folks here have a fairly substantial commute to work each day and what your thoughts are about it.  I might have a job opportunity coming up that is on the fringe of what I'd consider commuting from our current location.  Right now, I'm only about 12 miles away from where I work (have been about as far away as 22 miles), but this new possibility is about 75 miles away, one way.  It is all interstate and can be driven in about an hour and 10 mins., no problem, so it is a fairly easy drive, but it will be a lot different than the 20 mins. I have right now.

The company will pay for a move, but this will be a somewhat temporary deal (2 - 3 years) and then we'll likely be back in this area again, so I'm thinkin' it may not be worth the hassle to uproot only to return again later. :nixweiss:

Lemme know what you think and thanks for the input! :2vrolijk_09:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: How many miles do you drive/ride to work???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:53:26 PM »

Brian, the commute notwithstanding, moving sucks so LARGE that unless all other factors are completely unmanageable I'd never suffer doing it (moving) for just two years when there is an alternative.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:54:01 PM »

i'm in the low 20s these day. i've always tried to keep it within 1hr during normal traffic conditions
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:58:49 PM »

I was driving about 40 miles (1 hour in commute traffic)  each way until 3 years ago, I switched offices and now am about 15 miles each way. When I look back I don't now how I put up with the traffic for so long. You get immune to it after a while but I can't ever see having a long commute again.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »

Brian...if the opportunity is good enough, it might be worth it if there is an end in sight.  I drove that far for a summer, and though I did get used to it, it got old pretty fast.  Is there any way they would pay for a cheap apartment so you could stay every other night during the week or something?  Just a thought.  Do you have a vehicle that gets good milage and is more or less expendable, because whatever you drive for that time period is going to be pretty much worn out by the end?  If the long term goals are met, it will all be worth it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »

To me quality of life is worth a lot of $.  I am less than a mile.  We have some of the worst traffic in the country here and I have decided not to participate....JMHO

Good luck with your decision.
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 11:12:47 PM »

41 miles from Bluefield to Beckley, WV.  All on I-77.  That's to the Dealership.  If I'm called to travel into the Coal Fields, that would add at least another 100 miles.  I don't mind it, myself.  I download when I'm driving.  :2vrolijk_21: Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:03:09 AM »

Brian
i need to change my vote but i commute about 65 miles either way ...have done this since november..
same thing, i dont want to move...

we work a 4/10 schedule so 4 days of driving plus 1 weekend a month
takes me about 50 minutes in the am ( leave around 0600)
anywhere from 1:10 to 2 30 on the way home..a few minutes either way and the traffic turns to hell..

it aint the worst drive in the world but it wears on you...
i am sposed to do this for a few years.... i have up to two years to take the move to be closer if i want....
but i can also retire any time after september...
in the meantime, i do the drive....  i always keep a spare set of clothes and a shaving kit with the weather potential..
and so far, its been in the truck every day...  but riding weather is coming!!!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH THE CHOICE MY FRIEND

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:24:33 AM »

I'm curious how many folks here have a fairly substantial commute to work each day and what your thoughts are about it.  I might have a job opportunity coming up that is on the fringe of what I'd consider commuting from our current location.  Right now, I'm only about 12 miles away from where I work (have been about as far away as 22 miles), but this new possibility is about 75 miles away, one way.  It is all interstate and can be driven in about an hour and 10 mins., no problem, so it is a fairly easy drive, but it will be a lot different than the 20 mins. I have right now.

The company will pay for a move, but this will be a somewhat temporary deal (2 - 3 years) and then we'll likely be back in this area again, so I'm thinkin' it may not be worth the hassle to uproot only to return again later. :nixweiss:

Brian,
  My Dear Ol' departed Daddy always told me, "Son, when you go Bear huntin', go where the Bears are."  :2vrolijk_21: There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:27:44 AM »

Tough decision for sure. What w/ gasoline prices and all. 33 miles, 45 mins. one way. That's about the limit of acceptable for me. Time spent commuting is time lost from life's clock. I don't read the paper, work w/ the laptop or all of the other things people do on their daily commute and it's just time not doing what I want to do. Summer is more bearable because I can often commute on two wheels instead of four. I travel to work through the county so it's not the hassel of the traffic, just the time. I agree w/ Twolane, moving sux out loud. I'd rather take a beating. Looking forward to only two more moves in our lives, 1) down south when we retire in a couple of years and 2) my final resting place (hopefully in a long, long time) and that's it. Good luck in your decision.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 06:40:36 AM »

My office is in my home but I travel usually from Monday to Thursday and average sometimes a 1,000 miles a week, I do some of my best thinking/planning while I am driving between stops.

Think SPRING!

jeffj

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 06:56:32 AM »

Brian

I drive all the time.
Just like Hubbard , driving helps me download.
If I hit every subdivision every day except Charleston then it's about a 400 mile day.
I try to make it to half of the subdivisions each day.
200 miles a day X 5 days plus some Saturdays ='s close to 60K miles a year.
60K miles a year in the Stroke divided by average (per GPS) of 47 miles per hour ='s 1276 hours per year in the truck.
1276 divided by 52 weeks ='s 24.54 hours per week or approx 4.5 hours per day driving.

So my question for you is, what's a few more minutes on the road?
Like Hubbard said, you got to where the Bears are.
My Bears take very good care of me!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »

Personally I would rather spend the time on the bike than in the cage.  One benefit of the longer drive is the engine will heat up completly and help get rid of the moisture in the motor,  It's a big problem I have with my short comute.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:16:48 AM »

I've been commuting about 55 miles each way on old country roads and it takes me 60-70 min for about 2 years. Somedays, like anything else, it sucks, other days it great. I don't find it to be a problem. I'd rather drive 55 mile for 60 minutes than 15 miles for 60 minutes. As long as your moving the commute is good, but traffic sucks.
Ron

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »

Not sure that I am the senior commuter here Brian but as Hub says it does download my day.

I have commuted 60 miles each way for 21 years.  Part of this is that the wife has a 38 mile commute the opposite direction and the $$$ she can earn south of us is far greater than what would be available to her if we moved.

We also love the lake we live on and most likely would not buy on the lake near the dealership for a number of reasons. 

Not knowing (remembering) what you do for a living I can only say that with me much of my job is on the phone and I can do that with my mobile, bluetooth on the bike which is even better.  For many years my choice of vehicles for the commute was driven by knowing if I had a call or two to make.  Now it doesn't matter since I can do it on the SEUC with the bluetooth.

I like to drive/ride so the hour spent doesn't bother me, I am in the reverse commute away from the city so except for the summertime when folks are vacationing north I really never have any traffic to speak of and even in the summertime it isn't what most folks would call traffic.

I'd say go for it and don't let the commute worry you.  If you decide after 6 months or a year to move you always could.  A couple of bottles of water, good CD's, thermos of coffee/bottle of soda if it strikes you and you're good to go.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »

i have to agree about the download thing. i have the ability to work in an office in my home town. but i choose to work 20+ miles away. working that close gave me no chance to relax and unwind on the way home. that and it was a total chit hole

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »

I guess you have to look at several things here:

1) Do you enjoy driving, so long as it's not in traffic? (nobody I know likes to sit in traffic)
2) Are you going to have to drive a vehicle that you really don't want to put those kind of miles on in the 2-3 years?
3) Is there enough money involved to justify the added expense of traveling....OR
4) Even if the money is not there yet, will it help you get there somewhere down the road in your career?
5) Is it all about money?
6) Will you have more job satisfaction, regardless of the money?

I work in HRM in a dept with over 1800 employees, and I am directly involved in all phases of their compensation, benefits, etc.  Money is a good thing, but I can name countless times when I have seen the FACT that money alone has little to do with job satisfaction.  Sure, it works...but only temporarily.  Few people I've ever known get to earn a paycheck at something they really and truly are passionate about and LOVE to do.  A person doesn't need to LOVE their job, but they damn sure don't need to HATE going there every day either.  Some middle ground is healthy in every regard. 

Just my 2 cents...

TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 09:09:53 PM »

Hey, I knew I could count on the members of this site for some excellent input! :2vrolijk_21:  Thanks for all the comments.  They've all be extremely helpful . . . . keep 'em coming!!!

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 04:48:38 AM »

Well i can walk to work its maybe one mile or so.But I have to fly twice a week for an hour to be able to go to the offices in Istanbul.If i wanted to ride it would be about 400 miles one way.Am i qualified as the longest commuter? :drink:
Ridin Legend

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 03:15:26 PM »

I’ve ridden a motorcycle to work everyday since Mar 2002; however I realize the weather in Illinois is a little different than in my area.  The longest commute was 95 miles round trip for about 2 years, but currently is only 50 miles round trip.  The key for me to accomplish this is that the commuter bike can’t be one that has to be kept immaculate, or even shine, all the time.  The constant road grime and parking structure slime makes whatever vehicle you take to work dirty, not to mention subject to rock chips and other road dings.  I’ve had a few Sportys and older Big Twins that I was NOT passionate about keeping spotless, and that made life bearable.  The few times I’ve taken the SEEG or other obsessive object to work, I couldn’t wait to it wipe down and thoroughly polish.  OCD maybe?  Anyway, with a good, reliable old beater or commuter bike, you could go home after work and not obsess about the petty stuff; or pet the sweaty stuff.  Whatever pulls your trigger. 

Obviously, you’ll be driving a 4-wheel vehicle many times which will eat up more gas $ and wear-and-tear, but knowing the situation will be over in 2-3 years would make it more palatable.  I’d commute.

Good luck with your decision.

Panhead Jimmy 
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »

BRIAN IF ITS ONLY A TEMP THING FOR 2-3 YEARS YOUR PROBALY GOOD. TIME GOES BY SO FAST, IM SURE EVERYDAY YOU WISHED YOU HAD MORE TIME TO GET MORE THINGS DONE, HAVE FUN, AND HAVE MORE QUALITY TIME WITH FAMILY. ALSO REMEMBER THE MORE YOU MAKE THE MORE YOU SPEND, AND WE ONLY LIVE ONCE. GOOD LUCK!
                                                                                             TAKE CARE   DAVE
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2007, 01:36:16 AM »

I'm about 6 miles from work.  I've always tried to be close.  I guess the military kinda trained me that way.  Like other posts say I wpuld think it would get old after a while.  I like the idea of getting a place for a few nights a week.  Things to consider are also weather you could encouter and the $$ of the F>>>>> gas goig up and up. If you have a economic vehicle then thatis a plus.  Good luck.   Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 08:45:16 AM »

I've always been a minimum of a half hour drive time. 05-06 I did a 80 mile each way commute for a special project, we worked 4-10's tuesday through friday, I loved that, 3 day weekend every week. I was driving what is considered one of the most dangerous stretches of interstate in the country. Lots of accidents, (I lost a co worker to a fatal traffic accident). But, after the preliminary work was done we had to go to 24/7's so only one day a week off and you work 6-12's, this is done for 3-4 months. I commuted on the 4 day work week, when the 6-12's came, I got an apartment close and came home once a week. I also like to drive, I got perdiem so the fuel was no problem. So, if you dont mind driving and it is highway, what the hell. Believe me, if its a normal work day its not bad. Long hours working and then long hours behind the wheel can be very dangerous.

In the 4 day work week, I rode the bike on friday. It was great, I'd take the long way. So, long and short of it, be careful. And Hey, lets have fun out there!

:2vrolijk_21:
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 11:07:01 PM »

The length of my commute depends on whether or not I get coffee from the kitchen before I go to the office.  If I got to the office first, it's about 25 to 30 feet.  If I go for the coffee, I'm up to about 45 to 50 feet.  I've had a home office for about 9 years now and would hate to go back to commuting.  When I do have to see a customer at 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning, I'm reminded of how much I enjoy having my office in my home and how much I hate fighting morning rush hour traffic.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 04:14:30 AM »

I have in my past had any where from one to six hour commutes.  I don't think it matters as much about the total miles as it does the total time and the stress factor of that time. 
I used to drive into Brussels every day, and it was a balls to the wall ride until around one big sweeping corner that you could not see around, a sudden stop, and crawl for the last 40 minutes. For years I'd wake in the middle of the night crying and crying out - "I can't stop!" But I taught myself to slow down a little, and got into listening to audio books.  Could really make the time enjoyable.
Driving into DC on I-95 SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was the up to six hour commute.  Usually I drive about 32 miles, if I leave on time it is only 40 minutes.  If I leave late (several minutes) it is an hour to an hour and a half.  If I have to go from home to DC, it is 135 miles and can be as little as 2 1/2 hours, but can be up to 4 - 6 hours. 
Over an hour, takes a big toll on you, your body, your mind, your soul, your vehicle, the chores around the house and your ties with your family.  Can you do it?  Of course.  Especially if you can see the end in sight.  Would it be better not to?  Of course, but we all do what we have to do to get what ever it is we feel we need to get.  Good luck in whatever choice you make. 

And Chip, there is no way I'd want to ride around 400 miles a day for work.  I do like it when we get 400 mile days on our bikes ---------- so I guess as long as the scenerary is worth it, even that could be doable.   ;)

hogasm

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »

Work on the island here has gone downhill for the last couple of years. Now I have to drive about 70-75 miles each way to get to job sites.
On the island when I was runnin service calls I would pile up the miles. Lets see my 97 Ford E-350 diesel has 513,000 miles on it today. That's about 51,000 miles a year, and I only work 4 days a week.
Just sold my personal truck a 2004 F-250 that was 18 months old and had 96,000 miles on it.

DAMN I hate to drive :nixweiss:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 09:39:32 PM »

Thanks again for all the replies here, everyone!  You've given me a lot of food for thought.

Last weekend, we spent Sunday cruising around the target city, looking at about a dozen homes we found on www.realtor.com.  I have to say, in the price range we were looking at, which is about twice what we paid for our current home 6 years ago, we did not see a single thing that piqued our interest. :nixweiss:  It was really disappointing.  While I haven't necessarily given up on the idea of moving yet, the first unofficial house-hunting trip did not look too promising.

On the other hand, if I were to drive I'd have to purchase something more economical.  There's no way I want to pour gas into a 4x4 HEMI Ram (14 mpg) or even a 300C (22 mpg) 2 or 3 times a week and I'm waaaaaaay too anal with the SEEG to subject it to that sort of abuse.  I'm thinkin' Honda Civic or something along those lines (35+ mpg).  I ran some numbers, and it would actually be about $200/month cheaper to have a car payment and put gas in something like that vs. filling the truck up with $200 or so worth of fuel every week.  The other good part about buying something else is then my truck (which I love dearly) lasts a lot longer before I have to replace it, so maybe that's not all bad.

We'll see.  I have yet to get the official job offer, but I am continuing to think about what would be best for me and the family if/when we do.  Thanks again for your contributions to the thread.  You've all been very helpful! :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 09:49:59 PM »

Brian...Suzanne is going to soon be in the market for a new car, and with her work needs something economical but comfortable too.  We're liking the Toyota Matrix (pick you level of goodies) and also the Prius.  The car thing and fuel milage would be a big thing if I were in your shoes...you've got to be comfortable for the commute, but need decent milage too...power is relatively secondary in that equation, IMO.

Good luck with your decisions!!

TTS Mastertune

UglyJohn

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 11:28:02 PM »

Hummm..... about 2.5 miles to work as a crow flys. On a bad day I walk to work. Many times, its more than 10 or 15 miles depending on the route. After a crappy day at work, sometimes it'll take an hour or more to get home. Seems like I always go the long way home.
Ugly John
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 12:04:35 AM »

The length of my commute depends on whether or not I get coffee from the kitchen before I go to the office.  If I got to the office first, it's about 25 to 30 feet.  If I go for the coffee, I'm up to about 45 to 50 feet.  I've had a home office for about 9 years now and would hate to go back to commuting.  When I do have to see a customer at 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning, I'm reminded of how much I enjoy having my office in my home and how much I hate fighting morning rush hour traffic.

I'm @ 20 feet w/o coffee, 30 with!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

pcarr1701

• Junior CVO Member
  • The Switchblade Guy

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 05:58:59 AM »

Back in the early 90s I did a commute daily from Richmond, Virginia to Fredericksburg, VA, somewhere close to 85 miles each way.  Did it for 2 and a half years before moving.
Patrick Carr
Siloam Springs, Arkansas
Wildfire

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2007, 08:26:16 PM »

2 months to the day since the last post here and we just inked a deal on a new home today.  We will be moving in early-August.  At the end of the day, I looked at it as an opportunity to upgrade to a better home, which we were able to do, thanks to the efforts of our outstanding real estate agent.

Thanks again, to everyone, for the comments pro and con in this thread.  Each one was a help as part of the decision process.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2007, 09:21:35 PM »

Brian,
Congrats!!! :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Tros

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »

If you hadn't of bumped it up I doubt I'd have seen it.  Might as well comment, 7.4 miles to work.  Use the truck/car, don't ride the bike unless it's a trip of 20 miles or more.

Glad you got new digs!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2007, 09:30:34 PM »

Thanks, guys!  I'm looking at 8.3 miles to work after the move.  That's about 4 miles less than I'm doing right now.  I'm not really looking forward to the packing up and moving part of it, but once that's over, I'm sure we'll feel like it was the right decision for us.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2007, 09:34:08 PM »

where are you moving to?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2007, 09:39:50 PM »

where are you moving to?

Moving to Mahomet, IL and working in Champaign.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2007, 10:12:58 PM »

Thanks, guys!  I'm looking at 8.3 miles to work after the move.  That's about 4 miles less than I'm doing right now.  I'm not really looking forward to the packing up and moving part of it, but once that's over, I'm sure we'll feel like it was the right decision for us.

The bike won't even get warmed up by the time you get to work...those nice new Rineharts will corrode from the inside...to prevent this I recommend that you take the long way to work, adding at least 20 miles when riding the SEEG and then take an even longer way home!  Corrosion never sleeps.

Congrats!

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »

I remember when I got my first motorcycle I lived about 10 miles from work.

My commute was about 35 miles though by the time I went by all the beaches and waterfront drives on the way home.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2007, 05:31:27 AM »

...Thanks, guys!  I'm looking at 8.3 miles to work after the move.  That's about 4 miles less than I'm doing right now.  I'm not really looking forward to the packing up and moving part of it, but once that's over, I'm sure we'll feel like it was the right decision for us.

Congratulations Brian.  Hire a great moving company, make sure they have enough trained men on the job and it will go smooth.  Personally pack things that are of high value to you - Grandma's vase, Grandpa's hand gun, kind of thing.  The move will go fine.  It is a great opportunity to flesh out the unneeded items we have a tendancy to hang on to - just in case.  Donate to charity (keep your records).  I am wondering about your new home, does it have the barn size car garage?  The short commute is a boon to you and your family. 

I know I've beenenjoying mine since the 20th of April. I have been working from home.  My commute is from my bedroom to the bedroom beside it.  And the dress code is a little lax.  My professional attitude though makes me have a shower and have casual professional clothes on before I start work.  I promise all my customers I will never be working with my bunny slippers on. 

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2007, 05:53:58 AM »

CALL THE MAN!! - (moving man) you'll be glad you did and you won't have all your stuff in different bags dumped in the middle of the floor when you wake up hung over  :)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2007, 07:44:19 AM »

I work out of an office in my home
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2007, 08:45:09 AM »

Congrats on the new house Brian. On the thread title I drive about 55 miles each way to work every day sometimes more. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2007, 10:18:44 PM »

Thanks for all the well-wishes, everybody!  Gotta love this place! :2vrolijk_21:

Yes, we will have our personal effects moved by professionals.  Pretty much just stand around and watch them do their thing, of course keeping a close watch on the important stuff.  The garage sale is taking place this coming Wednesday and Thursday to get rid of all the uneeded things.  One man's trash is another man's treasure!

As far as the short ride to work and possibility of resulting corrosion, I'm thinkin' that just gives me a good excuse to tell momma I gotta go for a nice, loooooooooooooooooong ride on Sunday mornings!!!!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :drink:

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW HOME BRIAN. :2vrolijk_21: BEST OF LUCK  :2vrolijk_21:
                  DAVE
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2007, 01:41:27 PM »

Congratulations on the career move and the change in homes/locations.  Is this place you're moving to any futher SOUTH?  ;D ;)

TTS Mastertune

harleydiva

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2007, 06:23:21 PM »

2 months to the day since the last post here and we just inked a deal on a new home today.  We will be moving in early-August.  At the end of the day, I looked at it as an opportunity to upgrade to a better home, which we were able to do, thanks to the efforts of our outstanding real estate agent.

Thanks again, to everyone, for the comments pro and con in this thread.  Each one was a help as part of the decision process.

:2vrolijk_20:

Congratulations! 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.651 seconds with 21 queries.