Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: 2019 cvo sumping  (Read 32572 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2019 cvo sumping
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 10:12:20 PM »

While we have to take some information with a grain of salt and make decisions on real issues.  I have to ask, don’t you think 4K Miles on a 2019 model might be a bit of an exaggeration and if it is true don’t you think that. Ike had to have been ridden pretty hard to get there in mileage??

I think the other guys answered your question about the approximate 4k miles on a 2019.  We see plenty of bikes that rack up a big bunch of miles in a short time around here.  And it doesn't matter how "hard" the bikes are ridden, the engine should not sump.  I know of absolutely no other company running dry sump engines that has this problem, and dry sump oiling systems have been around a very long time.  It's not rocket science, the principles involved are very basic science, and there is absolutely no excuse for Harley to be having this problem in the first place, much less three years in a row and counting.  If they can't figure it out in-house, they need to bite the bullet and hire outside help.  And if they don't want to lose even more sales in the US than they already have, they need to find and fix the root cause of the problem ASAP, then make sure they take care of all the folks who have earlier models with suspect engines.  Management at the MoCo needs to get their collective heads out of their asses.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 10:17:53 PM »

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any indication that HD is going to do any sort of voluntary recall, based on how they have handled previous design issues and how they have handled the M8 issues to date.  Unless a class action lawsuit is filed (which some believe is quite possible) HD will deal with these as quietly as possible, and take full advantage of the new warranty clauses in the process.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 10:22:09 PM »

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any indication that HD is going to do any sort of voluntary recall, based on how they have handled previous design issues and how they have handled the M8 issues to date.  Unless a class action lawsuit is filed (which some believe is quite possible) HD will deal with these as quietly as possible, and take full advantage of the new warranty clauses in the process.

That’s why I’m glad to be out of my Frankenstein 2017 CVO Limited. I gave it my best and fought hard to make the bike right after 4 engines and various other warranty covered issues. And while things were finally running right I just never had confidence again in the bike. I’m thankful I no longer own it and have to be concerned with these issues returning.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:28:52 PM by Heatwave »

J.D.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »

I hear ya.  Been there done that with a previous vehicle.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me again, shame on me.

swhalen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 05:52:00 AM »

i have a 2019 roadglide cvo  red pepper....    yesterday picked it up by the dealer   after 120 km (74miles)  it lost all power  and sumped

took it in the dealership   they told me it is the same problem with the oil pump

i am now at a point i just want to leave the bike at the dealer and buy something without all this sumping etc etc @#$$%%

who has got a sumped engine  and is it fixed?  does it hurt the new engine when it once got sumped?

thanks

That is sad to hear about your 2019 CVO. I traded my 2018 CVO stage 4 Street Glide for a 2019 Road Glide CVO because of sumping issues.
3 massive power loss occasions , no help from the dealer ! took my loss and moved on .
I put a stage 2 power cam and full Screaming Eagle exhaust on my 2019 CVO
400mi no issues yet
600 miles on mine with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »

While we have to take some information with a grain of salt and make decisions on real issues.  I have to ask, don’t you think 4K Miles on a 2019 model might be a bit of an exaggeration and if it is true don’t you think that Ike had to have been ridden pretty hard to get there in mileage??

Bought my '15 end of July, 2015.  22 days later (middle of August), it had 4,800 miles on it...Sturgis trip with some side excursions and not riding hard to get that mileage.  The '19 models have been out a month so 4,000 miles ain't out of the question.

As for the ridden hard part, I mean no disrespect to you SOCAL in this next statement because you aren't the only one of us on this site that expressed it.  However, it shouldn't matter a hill of beans HOW one rides their motorcycle.  Whether you ride like a bat outa heck or everywhere 5 miles under the speed limit, the product you purchased should hold up as promised.  Have you seen the commercials the MoCo puts out?  Smoking tires and folks riding curvy roads/tracks enjoying that new Harley....they want you to ride that sucker so they should be putting out a product you can do so on with little to no worry of breakdown...

One more thing.  I don't want to defend the MoCo in this sumping (or "insert problem here") issue but with the lifters, they had quite a few failures so they knew what was causing it.  With this sumping, not everybody with an M8 has had this problem.  Some here have stated it's just a few while others have made it look like "they all are doing it" when, in reality, it's probably somewhere in the middle.  I'm sure Momma Hawg is working on the problem as we can see with the constant oil pump/seal changes but I would not want to be in their shoes addressing a problem that bike A may be having while bike B is running like a scalded dog....talk about confusion and frustration....just something to ponder on...

.....off my  :soapbox:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 07:32:38 AM by Haird »

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 07:38:17 AM »

I am skeptical, I think we may have been “Trolled” by an Indian Salesman!  :coolblue:

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 08:00:02 AM »

I am skeptical, I think we may have been “Trolled” by an Indian Salesman!  :coolblue:
There are videos of this guy on FB and HDF. Bike is sumping for sure and it ain't pretty.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 08:37:51 AM »

In the video I've seen it's clearly a 19 CVO Road Glide and the friggin oil streaming from the motor is so hot it is boiling with visible bubbles. Looks like a cross between Jed Clampett and old faithful.
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

jeroenelectrum

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »

update   got a phonecall today from the hd dealer   it had the old 2018 o ring in it   it has been updated now to the 2019 seal   i hope this works and is the fix     keep you guys updated  if he sums again or not

J.D.

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »

Are they also going to tear the top end apart and inspect the cylinders and pistons?

SOCAL296

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited Silver and Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Limited Magnetic Gry M8 117
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »

So basically we are once again rolling the dice on this purchase. I just traded in my 2015 with a brand new engine in it caused by Cam Compartment failure. Although I was aware of the M8 issues I was really hoping these issues were gone.
I will tell you there is a world of difference in the ride quality of the 2019s.
I would like to know what the ride situations and scenarios are when these failure occur. Stock? Temperature? Altitude? Load? Speed? RPM? Etc.?? The guy with 74 Miles on his Odom heck that’s pretty fresh and likely just at normal operating Temps.
You are also right, none of these scenarios should matter but still valid info
DR

jeroenelectrum

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 10:36:45 AM »

they did a check up on cylinders and pistons

indeed i had 74 miles on it  normal temp  and did not go over 3000 rpm  because i was breaking it in   ride is absolutely stock 

i am happy they do a test drive from 100 km today to check everything   and hope this will be the fix     

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »

So basically we are once again rolling the dice on this purchase. I just traded in my 2015 with a brand new engine in it caused by Cam Compartment failure. Although I was aware of the M8 issues I was really hoping these issues were gone.
I will tell you there is a world of difference in the ride quality of the 2019s.
I would like to know what the ride situations and scenarios are when these failure occur. Stock? Temperature? Altitude? Load? Speed? RPM? Etc.?? The guy with 74 Miles on his Odom heck that’s pretty fresh and likely just at normal operating Temps.
You are also right, none of these scenarios should matter but still valid info

Yep, you’re rolling the dice with a greater risk of coming up snake eyes than any customer should have to take when investing in a high end motorcycle. And now we know HD is willing to put 2019 motorcycles in the market that they KNOW have a higher risk to sump because they built it with the same components that caused sumping in 2018. Shameful!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »

While we have to take some information with a grain of salt and make decisions on real issues.  I have to ask, don’t you think 4K Miles on a 2019 model might be a bit of an exaggeration and if it is true don’t you think that. Ike had to have been ridden pretty hard to get there in mileage??

I don't ride my SEUC much around town (my FXR get's town miles).  When I ride the SEUC, it is long trips west into the mountains.  4K to 6K per trip is pretty normal for us.  And the trips are two to three weeks.  So 4K on a 2019 is very believable.  I think you'll find more than a few of the regulars on this forum acquire similar mileage on a regular basis... 

As far as the sumping issue goes, there are reports of sumping occurring in just a few hundred miles.  The nature of sumping doesn't require any particular amount of mileage, as it is not a wear issue (like lifters or compensators).  I tend to believe the reports I read on this site, as there is consistent familiarity in the descriptions of the problems, and sadly, there also is a consistent familiarity in response of the dealers and the MOCO...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.