Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery review  (Read 868 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Battery review
« on: October 16, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »

I know battery post are like oil post but wanted to give a quick review of the Duracell battery sold by Batteries Plus or a couple other places. I have noticed a little drag while starting the bike for the last week so figured it must be about time for the battery to be replaced. Got to looking through my bike log and discovered that the battery was closing in on 4 years old and a around 55,000 miles. Got a lot better service out of it than I had expected, so it will be back to Batteries Plus this weekend for a second try with this battery and hope for as good of life out of the 2nd as I got out of the first
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Battery review
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 06:30:58 PM »

Doesn’t East Penn make the Duracell?

If so, then what’s the difference then between Harley, Decka and Duracell?    Beyond the Battery Top needed of the shim?  More CCA or something else?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:48:24 PM »

Yeah, all are made by East Penn.  All are 400 CCA.  Main difference is price & appearance/logos.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »

I am interested in the Lithium battery replacements.  600CCA vs 400 and feather light.
This is an interesting video.   Scroll through to the 2:37 mark to avoid the garbage.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »

I am interested in the Lithium battery replacements.  600CCA vs 400 and feather light.
This is an interesting video.   Scroll through to the 2:37 mark to avoid the garbage.

LI has higher power densities, no doubt about it, but they are not all peaches and cream in other areas of starting battery performance.  Not bashing them, just reminding people to research the complete story before assuming all those folks promoting them as better than sex are right.  LI has a problem with low temperatures for one thing (take your LI powered drill outside this winter and screw in some long deck screws or lag bolts).  LI also have a totally different voltage curve that can mislead you into thinking you still have a full charge.  Voltage remains about the same during usage until it falls off the cliff at the end.  The protective circuitry has to shut the battery down when it reaches a certain percentage of charge, if you let the battery become fully discharged you may not be able to recharge it.  Btw, that's why your cell phone shuts down when it's battery reaches a preset low limit.  And let's never forget that people still have fires with devices that use LI batteries, even after all the years of knowing about the dangers and supposedly designing better controller circuitry to prevent runaway reactions.

I'm waiting for the next generation of batteries that will kick the LI and the lead-acid versions to the curb.  It may be sooner than we think, now that more and more companies and consumers are embracing electric cars.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.