Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Key fob and electric locks  (Read 1533 times)

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
Key fob and electric locks
« on: December 23, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »

Just looking for some answers. My electric locks stopped working from the fobs(both). The dash switch worked but fobs failed. Being an engineer this meant to me that the receiver under the fairing has failed. My second set of key/fob was seldom used. And before anyone states the obvious, the batteries were metered and changed with new batteries. Still both fobs failed pointing me back to the receiver. After this I took it to the local Harley dealer. The mechanic was baffled as well and had to contact MOCO. They determined both fobs were bad. ??? They had to make 2 new barrel key fobs for my bike and that alone took two weeks. It is fixed and I'm okay with everything except one thing. How does the spare (operative word here) unused fob go bad. And yes it worked fine just two months prior. The trouble pointed to the receiver unit under the fairing, The trouble was both fobs? Some how I'm not buying that. If it is a frequency transmission, why would that affect both fobs? More likely a receiver unit if both transmitters do not function.
Just my observation
DJ

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Re: Key fob and electric locks
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »

I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to see if the dash switch runs through the receiver. If not I would think the receiver is the issue. If the dash switch does run through it than I'd rule the receiver out. That's just a basic thought process. Seems odd both fob's would go bad.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »

It makes no sense that two independent fobs would both fail at the same time.  What makes more sense is that somehow the receiver lost it's pairing (programming) with the remotes.  When the two new remotes were paired with the old receiver, they worked.  If you still have the old remotes I wonder if they could be re-paired with that same receiver and then start working again.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »

It makes no sense that two independent fobs would both fail at the same time.  What makes more sense is that somehow the receiver lost it's pairing (programming) with the remotes.  When the two new remotes were paired with the old receiver, they worked.  If you still have the old remotes I wonder if they could be re-paired with that same receiver and then start working again.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Agree!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 10:40:02 PM »

if they are like the older security fobs, no, they wouldn't.  the old system would only handle two fobs programmed at the same time. 
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »

if they are like the older security fobs, no, they wouldn't.  the old system would only handle two fobs programmed at the same time.

I think my question was just me thinking out loud; you are most likely correct that you couldn't program two extra remotes on top of the two already programmed.  But I can't help wondering if all that really was necessary was for the dealer to reprogram the old remotes to the old receiver.  Only crazy curious folks like me might consider pairing the old remotes (removing the new ones) just to prove to myself I'd been victimized because a dealership didn't know how to fix what might have been a very simple problem.  And if they really did contact H-D and they also didn't consider this possibility, it tells me not much has changed at the MoCo.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »

you're probably correct in that thinking.  wouldn't be the first time they've replaced something totally unnecessarily.  the op doesn't mention whether they were replaced under warranty, esp, or on his dime.  hopefully, warranty covered.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »

This was all on my time and money. They replaced the receiver unit and could not program the original fobs to the new receiver.  The trouble shooting guide they were using said if dash switch works it's the receiver. Logical to me. But still didn't work. According to H-D the fobs failed. Both at the same time and on fob just sitting on key rack unused? Again I don't buy that. Being suspicious I tend to think in H-D's diagnostics the mechanic screwed something up. It took 4 weeks to fix this and I think that is a load of **** on its own volition. I just wish it was warmer so I could take it for a shakedown run and see. Just my thoughts.
DJ

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »

This was all on my time and money. They replaced the receiver unit and could not program the original fobs to the new receiver.  The trouble shooting guide they were using said if dash switch works it's the receiver. Logical to me. But still didn't work. According to H-D the fobs failed. Both at the same time and on fob just sitting on key rack unused? Again I don't buy that. Being suspicious I tend to think in H-D's diagnostics the mechanic screwed something up. It took 4 weeks to fix this and I think that is a load of **** on its own volition. I just wish it was warmer so I could take it for a shakedown run and see. Just my thoughts.
DJ
They should have paid you, it looks like to me they where using your bike as a training aid, I think it’s unusual that both fobs would not program after receiver was replaced, if it was both fobs bad, I hope they took the receiver off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 06:53:51 PM »

I had a similar situation here. I unlocked my bike and took it off the stand and the alarm went off, with the fob in my pocket, until I put it back down. Got the spare fob out and it did the same thing...Spare fob had been in my house safe for years without use.  Replaced both batteries and whala….all good in the hood...

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 08:52:31 PM »

Used or not batteries will drain and fail.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 08:23:34 AM »

Used or not batteries will drain and fail.

Exactly, My fob for my car died.  So I grabbed the spare that had been used once.  Four days later the spare battery died.

I always keep a spare battery on my bike for the FOB
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 09:14:35 AM »

Modern fobs (2007 and later Harley) are always "on", even when they are hanging on a hook in a closet or in a drawer, so those spare fobs either need to have their batteries removed when not being used or the batteries should be changed on a regular schedule.  I've always recommended making that a yearly maintenance item.  Also carrying a spare battery in the retail packaging somewhere on the bike is a good idea.

IMHO, the keyless systems currently being used in vehicles is a huge step backward in terms of actual security, and I try very hard to find vehicles that haven't had their security sacrificed to the "convenience" gods.  It has become very difficult, as more and more manufacturers have joined the rush to jump on the bandwagon.  I'm not sure that very many knowledgeable people have actually bought a particular model car/truck just because they didn't need to push a button to unlock their doors or they couldn't wave their foot under the bumper to open the liftgate, but the manufacturers have been pushing those sorts of "convenience" items since the beginning.  It's really a cost reduction for the manufacturer, and that's the real reason they adopted keyless systems.  Now crooks can hack your always on fobs and not only open your doors, but they can also just hit a start button and drive away just with that stolen code.  No more two factor security, with an embedded chip in a physical key required to start the engine.  I always find it funny that computer security experts push people to employ two factor security in the online world, but the vehicle folks do just the opposite.

Just my humble rantings,
Jerry

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.