Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boom Audio II issues  (Read 6354 times)

Glenncarp

Boom Audio II issues
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »

So, since I have the Road Glide CVO ('16) it did not come with the Boom Audio II, had my local HD shop upgraded from the I to the II for a little over $2000. Sound was much better than the level I but while riding last month. It seemed to me like the right front speaker was throwing out less dB than the left. Had two buddies listen and one was unsure the other who is an audiofile said that the right speaker was definitely not putting as much. Downloaded a free app on my android and all speakers aside from the right front were averaging 68 to 74. DB, the right one averaged 50 to 60. Anyone heard of this issue? Also, left rear speaker is blown as when a song with good bass comes on, it crackles.

And FYI in advance, went the aftermarket route with my 2011 and had nothing but issues with a Sony headset and speakers from Custom Soundz. No issues with them as they replaced speakers without question. Not going that route again though.

Guess I have no choice but to bring it to the HD shop and let them tinker with their crappy components. Sucks that i spent two grand and have to replace stuff less than four months later. Of course, any complaint would go deaf on HD years.

Please let me know of anyone else has had this issue and if so what was the answer for the right front speaker not throwing out as much sound.

Thanks in advance

jrf55

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2018 GUNSHIP GREY ROAD GLIDE CVO
Re: Boom Audio II issues
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »

I have a 2018 road glide cvo with Boom Audio stage II sounds great when the speakers arent blown . I have replaced the rear speaker three times already after warranty is up I will be replacing the speakers with aftermarket component speakers and tweeters. You have to use component speakers not coaxial speakers since the amps put out seperate channels for voice and bass. Harley should be ashamed of the quality of some of there items they put on a $40k plus bike.

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:34:35 AM »

Thanks for reply, I am only on set 1, guess I have more to go and I bought 5 year extended warrantee knowing what I know and have experienced with HD and their quality.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:00:22 PM »

Thanks for reply, I am only on set 1, guess I have more to go and I bought 5 year extended warrantee knowing what I know and have experienced with HD and their quality.

The speakers are not covered under the extended service plan or as you call it warranty.

The speakers are covered under the original factory warranty. Two years.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Glenncarp

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »

Well, ain't that a ray of sunshine

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »

Well, ain't that a ray of sunshine

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I had my first speaker covered under warranty then my second speaker blew about a month after original warranty expired. So I feel your pain
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

Glenncarp

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »

Thanks, I am an insurance adjuster. I am going to say my "date of loss" on the rear speaker was a weeks or two after they installed the Boom Audio II which was within the factory time frame. It actually was close to that.

Glenncarp

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »

Next question then: What coaxial speakers are we using with success? I purchased HAT (Hybrid Audio Technologies) speakers for the '11 as read a lot of good reviews but returned them as I bought package from Pete in Daytona, so never installed the HAT's. Had three blown Focals, so want to try something different.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:12:22 PM by Glenncarp »

Glenncarp

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »

I've done some research this afternoon and looked at a bunch of different options. It looks like most aftermarket speakers are 4 Ohm which would work but would reduce the volume of the speaker while making the sound better. I still shake my head at Harley-Davidson and why they design their crap. Spoke to Hybrid Audio Technology and they advised that their most popular speaker for Harley-Davidson is the Imagine 61. However, it is also 4 ohm. Then he hit me with an interesting piece of information: HAT now makes a special line of speakers for Pete at Soundz Custom. He stated Pete moved away from the Focals and is using the specially designed speaker from HAT exclusively. The technician at HAT also says Pete has a flash for the audio system that adjust the equalizer as it does crazy things while riding the bike. I know about the road noise setting, but he said it was more. Next call is to Soundz Custom

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 04:53:21 PM »

there are quite a few options available in 2 ohm.

where they went really crazy is with the system in my bike (2013).  those speakers are 1 ohm.  try finding an aftermarket for that  lol....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 07:12:07 PM »

I had soundz installed at stirgus this past rally. used his speakers, amp and DSP... works great and no speaker issues. same price as the boom 2 stuff and it kicks azz
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 06:49:22 AM »

Back to your original problem with the front speaker. I installed the Boom II in my '15 SERGU and had a front speaker go out. I switched it side to side up front and the speaker was fine, it was the amp that went. As that front amp is the one that came on the bike originally, it was covered under the ESP. You may have an amp issue up front.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »

I'm no audio expert by any stretch. But what I am doing is replacing both of my front speakers with speakers from sound customs. One is blown. Pete has told me that my stock system will drive those speakers just fine until I can meet up with him next year at the Lonestar rally and have the rest of his system installed. This will also help spread out the cost over a longer period of time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:55:38 AM by bigchuck »
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Super Shox

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.