Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Transmission sprocket locking tool  (Read 3194 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Transmission sprocket locking tool
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »

Needing to pull the tranny sprocket on the 09 and trying to find a reasonable priced sprocket locking tool. Seems Jim's and Baker units are all over the internet but are sure pricey. Found some on FleaBay that are cheap but do they work or will they break. Looked at George's and Heartland and didn't see one offered.
What's out there at a decent price that works?

Most great stores start with a bad decision

J.D.

Re: Transmission sprocket locking tool
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 10:34:29 AM »

I have George's.  Not the cheapest but it works.  I've bought Heartland tools and generally speaking they have been good quality for the price.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »

I have George's.  Not the cheapest but it works.  I've bought Heartland tools and generally speaking they have been good quality for the price.

Thank you for the reply. Those were the first 2 places I looked and didn't see one listed. I'll go back and look again

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 11:31:57 AM »

https://www.georges-garage.com/product/trans-sprocket-locking-tool/

I have this tool and have used it with success...  Easy to use and robust...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:27:19 PM »

Thank the both of you for the help. The link took me where I needed to be. Not sure why I didn't get to there earlier....probably has something to do with my computer skills. Thank you all again. I will get it ordered

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »

Thank the both of you for the help. The link took me where I needed to be. Not sure why I didn't get to there earlier....probably has something to do with my computer skills. Thank you all again. I will get it ordered

Want to borrow mine?

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 02:09:26 PM »

Want to borrow mine?

Thank you for the offer Don, but I have already ordered it and the socket.  Don't see me upgrading any time soon to a newer bike so just as well have the tools.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »

Thank you for the offer Don, but I have already ordered it and the socket.  Don't see me upgrading any time soon to a newer bike so just as well have the tools.

I understand.  I've got most of the stuff you'll need for the irregularly required work we end up doing on our own.  So don't hesitate to yell sometime if you need something.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 07:29:39 PM »

I understand.  I've got most of the stuff you'll need for the irregularly required work we end up doing on our own.  So don't hesitate to yell sometime if you need something.
Thank you. Once I get the sprocket off I will be able to see how deep I end up having to go
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:32:51 PM by Yellow09SERG »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 09:56:17 PM »

Whenever you do end up choosing to get tools the Heartland thing ain't bad for tools you won't use often.  Have used them for a few marine tools that I knew would use with significant rarity.  George's is good people though.  He stands behind his warranty (yeap, have needed it) and is just good folks.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 11:03:59 PM »

Whenever you do end up choosing to get tools the Heartland thing ain't bad for tools you won't use often.  Have used them for a few marine tools that I knew would use with significant rarity.  George's is good people though.  He stands behind his warranty (yeap, have needed it) and is just good folks.
That's good to know. I try to do my own work whenever I can and justify the price of whatever tools I need against what a dealer would charge me for the repair. My labor is cheap if I don't include the price of that stuff that comes in 12 packs so even if the tool is a one time deal it's still cheaper than taking the bike in. I developed a leak somewhere in the tranny last fall and I am just now getting around to fixing it. Right now it appears that it is at the shifter shaft, but being I am this deep I want to get the pulley off so I can verify there isn't a leak at the main shaft seal also

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 12:16:08 AM »

That's good to know. I try to do my own work whenever I can and justify the price of whatever tools I need against what a dealer would charge me for the repair. My labor is cheap if I don't include the price of that stuff that comes in 12 packs so even if the tool is a one time deal it's still cheaper than taking the bike in. I developed a leak somewhere in the tranny last fall and I am just now getting around to fixing it. Right now it appears that it is at the shifter shaft, but being I am this deep I want to get the pulley off so I can verify there isn't a leak at the main shaft seal also

Shift shaft seals aren't uncommon.  Get the Cometic seal rather than the HD if it's not too much extra hassle.  Seals are cheap enough if I'm in that far I'm replacing all of them though.

I've got a slight leak somewhere tranny/inner primary on the Road King here.  So our bikes must have been talking behind our backs.  It can't go on the lift until the FXR comes off though.  Old bike is getting a new back tire, chrome rear caliper and spring maintenance.  Then it's the Road King's turn.

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 09:08:33 AM »

That old single lip shifter shaft seal will eventually leak.  The new double lip design solves the issue.  Many shifter shaft seal leaks are mistaken for transmission main shaft seal leaks as the same gear oil generally weeps down behind the front pulley.  I'd suggest getting it good and clean with something like engine degreaser then verifying the source of the leak.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=113665.0
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:05:11 AM by 2002FXDWG3 »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 08:12:05 PM »

Shift shaft seals aren't uncommon.  Get the Cometic seal rather than the HD if it's not too much extra hassle.  Seals are cheap enough if I'm in that far I'm replacing all of them though.

I've got a slight leak somewhere tranny/inner primary on the Road King here.  So our bikes must have been talking behind our backs.  It can't go on the lift until the FXR comes off though.  Old bike is getting a new back tire, chrome rear caliper and spring maintenance.  Then it's the Road King's turn.

Don we will have to start paying a little more attention to the bikes. First they are talking behind our backs, next they will be spreading rumors too...  :drink:

Any chance you know the Cometic number for the shifter seal? I remember a thread somewhere on here with them and I am thinking whoever if was posting had doubled the seals up and still had room. :nixweiss:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 08:21:57 PM »

That old single lip shifter shaft seal will eventually leak.  The new double lip design solves the issue.  Many shifter shaft seal leaks are mistaken for transmission main shaft seal leaks as the same gear oil generally weeps down behind the front pulley.  I'd suggest getting it good and clean with something like engine degreaser then verifying the source of the leak.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=113665.0

The shifter seal is an obvious leak on this one, but while it's the deep it will all get some attention.

Thank you for the link
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 08:23:57 PM by Yellow09SERG »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 08:49:42 PM »

Don we will have to start paying a little more attention to the bikes. First they are talking behind our backs, next they will be spreading rumors too...  :drink:

Any chance you know the Cometic number for the shifter seal? I remember a thread somewhere on here with them and I am thinking whoever if was posting had doubled the seals up and still had room. :nixweiss:

Here's a link to the Cometic seal at Kirk. Cometic, James, even the Harley seal anymore are all good though.   

https://www.denniskirk.com/cometic/shifter-shaft-seal-c10213.p1401287.prd/1401287.sku

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »

Here's a link to the Cometic seal at Kirk. Cometic, James, even the Harley seal anymore are all good though.   

I'll get a couple ordered today. Thanks Don
https://www.denniskirk.com/cometic/shifter-shaft-seal-c10213.p1401287.prd/1401287.sku

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 09:13:34 PM »

Well, USPS delivered the sprocket locking tool and socket today so thought I would run out to the garage and slip that pulley off.... Thinking not so fast...that @$&!/* is on there!! Snapped the end of my 1/2 break over really quick. Put a little heat on it with a map torch and still doesn't move. Guess tomorrow I will spend some time with the mapp gas and really heat it up and see if it will move.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »

Well, USPS delivered the sprocket locking tool and socket today so thought I would run out to the garage and slip that pulley off.... Thinking not so fast...that @$&!/* is on there!! Snapped the end of my 1/2 break over really quick. Put a little heat on it with a map torch and still doesn't move. Guess tomorrow I will spend some time with the mapp gas and really heat it up and see if it will move.

You're talking about the thin nut on the outside of the sprocket right?  That one is right handed (normal) thread.  It only gets like 35 foot pounds and a half turn (if I remember right).  So it's not all that tight.  Loctite can be a bitch sometimes.  Never had any trouble with that nut if using an impact wrench.  The impact does scare the chit out of the Loctite though.  Got an impact wrench? 

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 09:49:20 PM »

You're talking about the thin nut on the outside of the sprocket right?  That one is right handed (normal) thread.  It only gets like 35 foot pounds and a half turn (if I remember right).  So it's not all that tight.  Loctite can be a bitch sometimes.  Never had any trouble with that nut if using an impact wrench.  The impact does scare the chit out of the Loctite though.  Got an impact wrench?

Yep that's the nut. Right hand thread, they actually cast that in the pulley. Would guess there was an abundance of red Loctite off in the threads. I hit it real quick with this Craftsman impact I have here at the house with about 130lbs of air and it didn't move. But not going to guarentee how good that old impact is. I may run out to work tomorrow and grab my IR out of my toolbox and see what effect it has on it.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 10:54:30 AM »

Well got that sucker loose final!!! Red Loctite is a b*&#$ to get broke loose and it took pretty good effort right up till the point that it came off. Little bit of a weep in the main drive gear seal so will replace it. Hope that I get a little free time to get on the mill and build a horseshoe puller to pull the inner primary race so I can replace the seal behind it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 01:37:41 PM »

Race puller:  Let me know if you want to borrow. 

That might be a piece you consider not reinstalling also.  This is only an assumption right now but I'm assuming Baker offers the same bearing for the six speed bikes that it did for the 5 speed bikes.  Bearing with the same OD and smaller ID so you can reinstall without the race and never have concern of the race walking (sometimes an issue). 

If that's something you consider decide sooner rather than later though.  Since the race isn't on the primary it's a different seal also (comes with the bearing).

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 08:40:07 PM »

Finally got old girl back together today. As suggested I ended up ordering the the inner race puller/installer to replace the inner race as well as the pulley locking tool.
 The inner race had walked over to the main drive gear to where there was only .065 between it and the MDG. Made a puller to get in behind it to get it off. It worked one time, and the was all I could hope for.
    Thank you Twolaner for the pics and the advice. Also wanted to thank John Sachs for the suggestions on getting the pulley nut off. Sure nice to have forum members that will go out of their way to help a rookie out.

David

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 08:55:38 PM »

^ Success is awesome ^

(that should be a meme; or a bumper sticker)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »

^ Success is awesome ^

(that should be a meme; or a bumper sticker)

I can provide the magic marker if you would like that as you bumper sticker...  :verfsmile:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.