Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Just sayin' - why I stick with Harleys  (Read 3487 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Just sayin' - why I stick with Harleys
« on: March 14, 2019, 06:47:56 PM »

i know from this forum and several others there are many moco bashers.  And I will be the first to say that the bashing is well deserved . . . and I've count myself among them from time to time.  But with that being said i'm still a moco fan and Harley enthusiast and will be for life for many reasons.  Let me count the ways as Elizabeth Barrett Browning would say.

Harleys just fit me.  Now I'm not a big guy - 5' 8" (used to be 5' 10" before I shrunk, lol), 155 lbs soaking wet (but I'm not a weakling by any means and am in good shape), 30 In inseam, but my soon to be 74 year old knees just don't want to bend anymore.  I find most of my riding time is on highway pegs and try that on a Gold Wing or even a BMW.  I just can't keep my feet on footboards for long much less footpegs!

And while I'm not egotistical I do enjoy a scoot that looks good.  Try that on a Wing or Beemer.  Two or three solid colors and that's it.  No Thanks.

And I do like my Sirius XM and my CB radio thank you.  Not that easy on the others.  Or even my Garmin GPS which can send nav prompts to me through the audio system.

And aside from the footpegs / highway pegs the ergonomics on Harleys are just way better for us senior citizens.

So thanks but no thanks.  I'll keep my Harley touring bikes. since that's the kind of riding I like.  No bar bikes, not triple digit crotch rockets.  Just get me on a bike on a back road going to places I would never go in a cage and I'm happy.  And so is the wife and that's very important for sure.

With all their warts and shortcomings I still say Harleys are the only bikes for me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:49:51 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
Re: Just sayin' - why I stick with Harleys
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »

Great post. Well said. Also hats off to anyone who quotes Dick Van Dyke and Elizabeth Barrett Browning in the same post.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:20:43 PM »

Well said Jerry! Once I crossed the 70 mark, I truly needed the comfort our baggers provide. The only other bike I have found that I might fit comfortably is the Indian Roadmaster.  Haven't ridden one yet but you never know.

Mike

:drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »

I pretty much agree Jerry, only in my mid 50's though.  I have done demo rides on the BMW GTL1600.  I do not think it would be comfortable for 1000 mile days in the saddle.  Indian is the only other bike I feel comfortable on for long haul.

But I can't switch brands.  I must have 100 HD tee shirts, and many HD dress shirts and such.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 11:14:53 AM »

I pretty much agree Jerry, only in my mid 50's though.  I have done demo rides on the BMW GTL1600.  I do not think it would be comfortable for 1000 mile days in the saddle.  Indian is the only other bike I feel comfortable on for long haul.

But I can't switch brands.  I must have 100 HD tee shirts, and many HD dress shirts and such.
This is not a Harley put down, still enjoy them.

Recently published the BMW K1600 B, it's an amazing motorcycle to ride, looks good too in my opinion. I have no problem wearing HD Motorclothes while riding my BMW. They are mine, will wear whenever i want.

Enjoy several motorcycle brands, each has there own strength and weakness. All that matters is that enjoy ridding.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 03:04:57 PM »

One thing that keeps me in HD is it seems like they have a dealership every where I go. I know what it's like to need a stator in Montana, Utah, Arizona, California, and Wyoming. I'd hate to be on a BMW and need something and the closest shop is on the other side of the state.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »

True statement, there are far fewer BMW dealerships. Fortunately it's a rare occurrence for a BMW to strand you. There's a reason they are a common sight on the iron butt runs. That said; like any motorcycle, stuff can happen. One of the biggest issues, especially for new BMW riders is tires, the K1600 models go through tires twice as fast as a Harley Electra Glide. You can leave home with good tread and need a set of tires before making it home, if your going cross country. 6,000 miles is doing well for a set of tires. Most guys put new tires on before any major trip.

The reason is the bike has so much power and is capable of such speeds it uses soft rubber, high performance tires that wear out much quicker. Similar to a Corvette as one example, they also use soft tires that wear faster than normal car tires.

Every motorcycle has its pro's and con's. Comes down to what's most important to you the rider. 

mark

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »

One thing that keeps me in HD is it seems like they have a dealership every where I go. I know what it's like to need a stator in Montana, Utah, Arizona, California, and Wyoming. I'd hate to be on a BMW and need something and the closest shop is on the other side of the state.

Perhaps with other brands, there isn't a need to have a repair shop in every little town.  Really not much different than owning an Audi, BMW, or Mercedes.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 01:04:46 AM »

So even with my well posted issues with the M8 motors I still can't help myself and love my Harleys. Due to my settlement with Harley on my 17 Streetglide I ended up getting a 19 CVO Roadglide a couple of weeks after getting a 19 BMW Grand America. Everyone asks me which bike I like better and my answer is "for riding the BMW, everything else the Harley". IMO the new Mako Shark Roadglide is the best looking motorcycle I have ever seen. The new GTS system with the Apple play is fantastic and a game changer to me. Truthfully I have had Apple play in my car for a couple of years and hardly ever use it but on the bike being able to text back and forth with touching anything other than the "Siri" button which also con strolls the maps and music that works first time every time is terrific. In my car I just grab my phone and do what I need which obviously I can't when riding. I hated the sound keeping the cat in so I wouldn't mess with my warranty especially since I am still having minor (for now at least) sumping issues but just installed TAB mufflers with the Zombie baffles and now bike sounds fantastic and just makes me happy.
Everything I just mentioned with the Harley is horrible with the BMW with the exception of the sound. I installed a complete Remus exhaust system from Austria (they do not have the warranty issues if you remove the cats) and though it sounds completely different than a Harley, it does sound terrific. Audio system is complete crap as is the connectivity and the nav which is just an old 660 Garmin. Can barely take or make a call and when you do the quality is horrible.
As far as riding the BMW goes it really is a insane bike performance and handling wise. All the many riding systems work fantastic and seamlessly  and once I got the bike tuned which took away the speed limiter, added 14 HP and took away the slow throttle response the bike is flat out a rocket ship when you get way up in the revs. New redline after tune is 9000 and when you get over 5000 it truly is like nothing I have ever rode.
Early in November JC and I took a 2100 mile trip and I took the BMW. Bike was incredibly comfortable (especially since halfway through our trip I went to Russel Day Long and had a seat custom made for me which is greatest seat I have ever used) and for anyone who has ridden with JC knows, I need that performance to keep up with him..
Bottom line for me is I love both the Harley (especially if I could get the da-- bike from sumping) and the BMW. Completely different bikes with completely different strengths and weaknesses. Greatest "first world problem" ever is which bike to ride--
Alan

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 09:54:16 AM »

I've read this thread a few times now and gotta say, no matter what has or hasn't happened to me riding a Harley Davidson mechanical-wise, I still enjoy riding and owning them.  I've had issues many, many miles from home but I've never been stranded...said a few choice words but never stranded.  I've enjoyed riding many trips across this great country of ours (and a few times in some beautiful Canadian countryside, too) and loved every minute of the ride...on a Harley.  Lord willing, I look forward to the next trip on two wheels with my sweetie...on a Harley. 

Will I ever purchase another new Harley Davidson?  No is the answer I'll give today but not because of past issues and there are some really nice looking '19 models out there as some of our members have some really great rides.  Puzzled can take a beautiful bike, a Harley, and make it more so because there is so much out there aftermarket for our bikes.  Others of our group have, more or less, done similar things to their Harley because of the same reason, lots of aftermarket offerings.  There is no other brand that can touch the aftermarket reach like the MoCo. 

What will be the main reason for not purchasing new today is price point.  It's currently beyond what I am willing to part with for a transportation/recreation device of this type.  I just about pooped a cow when I bought the '15 (at an MSRP of $39,900...got top dollar for the '12 in a trade but still was the most I've ever spent on a vehicle) and they've gone up since then.  My last SESG ('12) was at MSRP of $32,900.  I looked at a very nice example this past Saturday at Bootlegger (an MSRP dealer) in a '19 SESG in Black Cherry/Brandywine.  Pretty bike and fit me just like the '12 did but 7 years later and it's now $42,900...$10K more than my '12 and $3,000 more than my '15 SERGU and the '19 ain't gotta tourpak.

I've looked at others.  The 1600 B and Grand America BMW fit me very well.  They are nice looking BMW's but I'm not sure I'm sold on the look for a long period of ownership.  I want to ride one or both at some point but would I purchase?  Good question but probably not.  The new '18 Gold Wing looks like an old ST1100/1300 on steroids which is what I believe Honda was after.  Sitting on one at K'ville Honda, the new Wang don't fit me.  I like the Indians.  I'd really like to have a Roadmaster at some point but only with the current faring and I still have an issue with the look of the lowers...reminds me of an old, ugly Kawasaki design.  The new '19 Chieftain faring isn't growing on me, either 

See?  No matter what we look at we can find good and bad in it.  I have ridden and worked on the MoCo's offerings for quite a few years and can do most minor repairs (I can and have rebuilt a carburetor on the side of the road...a lost art today with FI) and moving to something else would be a completely new learning curve.  I'm not sure I'm ready to change at almost 58 years young so for now I'll stick with the devil I know in the Harley Davidson motorcycles.

....plus I've got WAY too much in T-shirts, Jackets, vests, hats, dress shirts, luggage, etc. with the Harley Davidson bar and shield to start over now... :2vrolijk_21:

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 11:28:41 AM »

So even with my well posted issues with the M8 motors I still can't help myself and love my Harleys. Due to my settlement with Harley on my 17 Streetglide I ended up getting a 19 CVO Roadglide a couple of weeks after getting a 19 BMW Grand America. Everyone asks me which bike I like better and my answer is "for riding the BMW, everything else the Harley". IMO the new Mako Shark Roadglide is the best looking motorcycle I have ever seen. The new GTS system with the Apple play is fantastic and a game changer to me. Truthfully I have had Apple play in my car for a couple of years and hardly ever use it but on the bike being able to text back and forth with touching anything other than the "Siri" button which also con strolls the maps and music that works first time every time is terrific. In my car I just grab my phone and do what I need which obviously I can't when riding. I hated the sound keeping the cat in so I wouldn't mess with my warranty especially since I am still having minor (for now at least) sumping issues but just installed TAB mufflers with the Zombie baffles and now bike sounds fantastic and just makes me happy.
Everything I just mentioned with the Harley is horrible with the BMW with the exception of the sound. I installed a complete Remus exhaust system from Austria (they do not have the warranty issues if you remove the cats) and though it sounds completely different than a Harley, it does sound terrific. Audio system is complete crap as is the connectivity and the nav which is just an old 660 Garmin. Can barely take or make a call and when you do the quality is horrible.
As far as riding the BMW goes it really is a insane bike performance and handling wise. All the many riding systems work fantastic and seamlessly  and once I got the bike tuned which took away the speed limiter, added 14 HP and took away the slow throttle response the bike is flat out a rocket ship when you get way up in the revs. New redline after tune is 9000 and when you get over 5000 it truly is like nothing I have ever rode.
Early in November JC and I took a 2100 mile trip and I took the BMW. Bike was incredibly comfortable (especially since halfway through our trip I went to Russel Day Long and had a seat custom made for me which is greatest seat I have ever used) and for anyone who has ridden with JC knows, I need that performance to keep up with him..
Bottom line for me is I love both the Harley (especially if I could get the da-- bike from sumping) and the BMW. Completely different bikes with completely different strengths and weaknesses. Greatest "first world problem" ever is which bike to ride--
Totally agree with your assessment. While i still like Harleys, they excell in style, paint/trim. Sound systems. BMW K1600's excell at being a motorcycle that you buy for riding ( imagine that ). No other bike in it's class has a engine that compares to the straight 6cyl rated at 160hp. Smooth as butter without counterbalancing or any vibration suspension system. The pro shifting option that allows you to shift up or down without the clutch, electronically adjustable suspension depending on load, three riding modes, class leading linked ABS, standard heated seat and grips, standard XM with 1 year trial, on and on.

Owning a Harley with the BMW would be ideal. If your going to have one bike, buy what matters most to you. Looking or ridding???

I recently bought a K1600B to enjoy riding and to a lesser degree, the style of the new B or B GA.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »

I've read this thread a few times now and gotta say, no matter what has or hasn't happened to me riding a Harley Davidson mechanical-wise, I still enjoy riding and owning them.  I've had issues many, many miles from home but I've never been stranded...said a few choice words but never stranded.  I've enjoyed riding many trips across this great country of ours (and a few times in some beautiful Canadian countryside, too) and loved every minute of the ride...on a Harley.  Lord willing, I look forward to the next trip on two wheels with my sweetie...on a Harley. 

Will I ever purchase another new Harley Davidson?  No is the answer I'll give today but not because of past issues and there are some really nice looking '19 models out there as some of our members have some really great rides.  Puzzled can take a beautiful bike, a Harley, and make it more so because there is so much out there aftermarket for our bikes.  Others of our group have, more or less, done similar things to their Harley because of the same reason, lots of aftermarket offerings.  There is no other brand that can touch the aftermarket reach like the MoCo. 

What will be the main reason for not purchasing new today is price point.  It's currently beyond what I am willing to part with for a transportation/recreation device of this type.  I just about pooped a cow when I bought the '15 (at an MSRP of $39,900...got top dollar for the '12 in a trade but still was the most I've ever spent on a vehicle) and they've gone up since then.  My last SESG ('12) was at MSRP of $32,900.  I looked at a very nice example this past Saturday at Bootlegger (an MSRP dealer) in a '19 SESG in Black Cherry/Brandywine.  Pretty bike and fit me just like the '12 did but 7 years later and it's now $42,900...$10K more than my '12 and $3,000 more than my '15 SERGU and the '19 ain't gotta tourpak.

I've looked at others.  The 1600 B and Grand America BMW fit me very well.  They are nice looking BMW's but I'm not sure I'm sold on the look for a long period of ownership.  I want to ride one or both at some point but would I purchase?  Good question but probably not.  The new '18 Gold Wing looks like an old ST1100/1300 on steroids which is what I believe Honda was after.  Sitting on one at K'ville Honda, the new Wang don't fit me.  I like the Indians.  I'd really like to have a Roadmaster at some point but only with the current faring and I still have an issue with the look of the lowers...reminds me of an old, ugly Kawasaki design.  The new '19 Chieftain faring isn't growing on me, either 

See?  No matter what we look at we can find good and bad in it.  I have ridden and worked on the MoCo's offerings for quite a few years and can do most minor repairs (I can and have rebuilt a carburetor on the side of the road...a lost art today with FI) and moving to something else would be a completely new learning curve.  I'm not sure I'm ready to change at almost 58 years young so for now I'll stick with the devil I know in the Harley Davidson motorcycles.

....plus I've got WAY too much in T-shirts, Jackets, vests, hats, dress shirts, luggage, etc. with the Harley Davidson bar and shield to start over now... :2vrolijk_21:
Motorcycles are very personal.  We all have different expectations.

From my experience you are totally correct about Harley aftermarket. Another way of viewing, BMW's feature exceptional performance, suspension and brakes off the showroom floor. Very few cosmetic modifications available.

Everyone should buy what they like. Don't care what others think

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 12:22:43 PM »

I recently bought a K1600B to enjoy riding and to a lesser degree, the style of the new B or B GA.

Scott, that is a nice looking B.  I like the passenger backrest and luggage rack.  What's the load rating on that rack?  Congrats and keep it between the ditches... :2vrolijk_21:

As for looks, the B is a very, very nice looker.  The '19 comes in navy blue, too, which should really look good.  Wanna ride a B but going back to the OP's original comments, I'll stick to my HD...for now

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »

Interesting read on above posts. I agree with idea that we should be free to ride whatever we like and life is too short to worry about what others feel is the correct bike to ride.
Other's opinions or tastes seem to change over the years. I remember when only "real bikers" rode Harleys that were hardtails with no windshields and just threw on a set of leather bags for storage on a trip, anything else and you were a wuss. You were also expected to do your own roadside repairs and no one had heard of a cell phone. You also didn't have a music device since you wanted to hear the bike or enjoy the sounds of nature. Then you were also looked down upon if you trailered or rode a trike (unless you were handicapped ,that was the term back in the olden days.)
I tried my best not to fit the mold and rode what I wanted in my early days, which was a Honda 750F because I wanted speed and performance as a youngster. I later rode a Goldwing because again i wanted comfort and dependability, It never let me down and had many happy times on both bikes.
I did however remember my first experience on a motorcycle riding on my uncle's Harley and loved the feel and sound.
In 1997 I bought my first Harley and it brought back lots of old memories and by that time I didn't have to have the fastest bike or one with all the fancy bells and whistles on it. I gradually moved up to the CVOs and enjoyed them for what they were and accepted that they weren't the fastest or best handling bikes on the road but the met my needs.
I don't know what i would buy next but I would check out all brands and ride whatever fits my needs and budget, I would want a bike that performs well, is dependable and I think I would want one that is more "turn key" and just buy and ride without spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars to get it to run right or look flashy.
As far as not knowing what to do with all the Harley t-shirts you can do what I have done 3 or 4 times over the last 10 years....send them to www.campusquilt.com and have them converted to quilts, wall hangers, totes bags or pillows etc.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »

I have thought about making quilts out of my H-D T-shirts. I have over 200 that don't get worn due to size problems, they all shrunk.  ;)
I'll check out Campus Quilt, Thanks.

Mike

:drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 21 queries.