Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: ventilator crank case  (Read 6247 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: ventilator crank case
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 06:22:25 PM »

X2 on the drilling.

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »

Vacuum aiding in sealing the rings is correct but,  I may be wrong here, isn't the crank case and the oil tank separate from one another unlike your typical automobile engine so the vacuum is still contained in the crank case?
You would think the T-Man and Fueling would understand the ramification of such a modification. 
Just my thoughts.

PVC device  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:54:53 PM by CVOFla »
The second mouse gets the cheese.

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 12:19:10 PM »

Breakdown image of oil tank and crankcase attached
The second mouse gets the cheese.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 04:47:51 PM »

What you are showing there is the oil flow for an oil cooled head.  What isn't being shown is the passageway through the case where the engine meets the trans.  This is for equalization of pressure between tank and engine.  All dry sumps have some sort of pressure equalizer like this.

Tn.Heritage

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 07:45:40 AM »

What you are showing there is the oil flow for an oil cooled head.  What isn't being shown is the passageway through the case where the engine meets the trans.  This is for equalization of pressure between tank and engine.  All dry sumps have some sort of pressure equalizer like this.
I just wish someone would show the proof that all this venting fuss was worth it. All of the sudden this is now the greatest thing since sliced bread but I've yet to see proof. I'd like to see an engine that sumped on the dyno then vent the engine and Bam, no more sumping. I hear ya, just can't see ya, no what I mean ?
2019 Limited Low 114, S&S 475 cam, PR's, LC's, lifters,S&S Sidewinder 2-n-1 with a Roland Sands AC. Tuned with a PV tuner at J&B Performance.

mark

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »

I wouldn't have any reservations on drilling - but would have covered the top of the paper towel wad in grease first.  But, beyond that...it's very dissapointing to know after dropping $40k plus on a bike, you've got to start cobbling together work-arounds to get it to run as designed.  Sad.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »

I have one of the A1 kits.  I ran my bike for 1K stock.  1K with an aftermarket stage 2 and the A1 kit.  And the last 400 miles without the A1 kit.  Never noticed a difference in temps or the amount of oil the bike tries to ingest from the head vents.  At idle, you can feel the thing releasing pressure.  Come off idle and nothing is moving in our out of the A1 vent.  It was a relatively cheap experiment and I learned what I wanted to know.  Hell, the way I see it, when I was working on my degree, I spent more money on the book, more time in class, and I still don’t know sh@t about western art from the 16th century. (Yes, I passed the class.  :-\ )

I wrote 4 when it should’ve been 400.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:38:03 AM by cmashark »
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »

I have had the opportunity to have a few M8’s on the dyno the end of this week.  Two of them didn’t have the oil cap vented.  One was a 128 with head work putting out right under 150/150. Another was a 124 drop on putting out roughly 125/135.  The last one was a HD stage 4 114 w/ a different cam choice putting out 130 something and right under 130 tq.  All of these bikes did not have the prior sumping issues.   All of them did have after market pump and plate.  Both the blue and red brands.  Only the 114 had the oil cap vented and on my suggestion. He did spend the four dollars to put a one way in it.

My testing consisted of 100% throttle runs.  I would make 3 pull with oil cap on.  Pull oil cap and leave hole open and make 3 pull back to back.   The one with ventilator got the hose pulled off of cap and plugged.   This actually had three test.  Cap removed from bike, a plugged oil cap, and ventilator with check valve in place.

My findings?  Absolutely nothing.  No change in those back to back runs.  I suspected that there would be and I was wrong.   I also saw nothing gained.  So, the idea that it isn’t breathing enough is also debunked for me.   Anyway, findings posted either way.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.