Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear wheel removal Q.  (Read 1218 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Rear wheel removal Q.
« on: April 02, 2019, 01:15:50 PM »

My mate has a 16 breakout and he's only now having to replace the rear tyre.  He doesn't want to go to the HD shop due to cost, he asked about removing the wheel him self and they told him he can if he has the special tools required.

My question is what are the special tools required to remove the wheel?   Thanks on behalf of my mate.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Rear wheel removal Q.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 01:32:07 PM »

Other than a big-ass socket and wrench to hold the other side, torque wrench, and belt tension gauge, probably needs a lift and a service manual (for torque values and belt deflection), I can’t think of what “special” tools he would need. Maybe they’re talking about the belt tension gauge but he can get one of those for about $20

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 03:03:26 PM »

Other than a big-ass socket and wrench to hold the other side, torque wrench, and belt tension gauge, probably needs a lift and a service manual (for torque values and belt deflection), I can’t think of what “special” tools he would need. Maybe they’re talking about the belt tension gauge but he can get one of those for about $20

Hey Pete, what da bird said above.  I'm not aware of any special tools other than what he listed...sounds like a dealer scaring the owner into using them.  This isn't the same place you had all that tire trouble with, is it?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 03:17:28 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Hey Pete, what da bird said above.  I'm not aware of any special tools other than what he listed...sounds like a dealer scaring the owner into using them.  This isn't the same place you had all that tire trouble with, is it?

Hahaha,  no Howard.  What Bird said I didn't think there was any special tools required other then the belt defection took but I wasn't completely sure.

Thanks for the input.  I'll let my mate know .

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 04:41:37 PM »

You might want to recommend to your friend that he price not only the tire but also find a shop that would be willing to mount and balance that tire to his rim.  Trying to install one of those big tires by hand with a couple tire spoons would be a real adventure, so unless he has a tire mounting machine he will most likely need to pay someone to mount and balance the tire.  At that point it may not be that much more to just let the shop do the entire job.  I assume you have independent shops over there like we do in the US that work on bikes for less than what the typical dealership charges?
Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »

You might want to recommend to your friend that he price not only the tire but also find a shop that would be willing to mount and balance that tire to his rim.  Trying to install one of those big tires by hand with a couple tire spoons would be a real adventure, so unless he has a tire mounting machine he will most likely need to pay someone to mount and balance the tire.  At that point it may not be that much more to just let the shop do the entire job.  I assume you have independent shops over there like we do in the US that work on bikes for less than what the typical dealership charges?
Jerry

I just spoke with him an hour ago Jerry  he's going to take it to a guy that's known for custom bike works in a town around a 40 minute ride from him. He said he's been told the guys good he has a full shop so he's going there. I would assume he'll do the balancing aline the wheel and put the correct deflection tension on the belt. I didn't ask what this guy charges compared to the dealer.
My mate only rides he doesn't do any hands on work but cleaning.

Cheers

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 05:22:27 PM »

Hi Pete,
How you doing, plenty of independents out there, that will do a tire change, you may wish to get your friend to research Dynobeads, I have been using them for about 5 years now with good results, it means No wheel weights. Take care.
WHUFC   COYI

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 09:34:19 AM »

Hi Pete,
How you doing, plenty of independents out there, that will do a tire change, you may wish to get your friend to research Dynobeads, I have been using them for about 5 years now with good results, it means No wheel weights. Take care.

Hi Mark,
Good to hear from you. Trust your well,

Doing good thanks mate, he ended up taking it to a custom bike shop think all turned out good for him.
I use them Dynabeads my self but not got them in on the new set of rubber I'm running now. The clowns that I had all that trouble with lost the beads I got a new kit but haven't put them in as yet so I'm running with weights at the mo. Be safe.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.