Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back surgery  (Read 1370 times)

Farm boy

Back surgery
« on: April 06, 2019, 11:03:19 AM »

Found out the other day I am going to need back surgery.  I don't know the technical jargon, but they are going to repair/ replace the one that's above the pelvis if I remember correctly. Going in through my stomach,  then flipping me over and screwing two together in my back.
Really concerned about it. Have always heard that back surgery is 50/50 at best.
I am a road mechanic,  so not sure how the job will go.
I would appreciate anybody that has had this type of surgery giving input.
Asked the surgeon if I would still be a to do my job, as well as still ride. He got pretty vague at that point.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Back surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 12:52:21 PM »

So sorry to hear about it. Knew someone well that was told his odds were 50/50 with the procedure. He ended up in a wheelchair for life.

Back surgery would be a last option for me. Wishing you all the best. Get a second opinion.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »

I put my back surgery off for a couple of years.....due to fear.  But I wasn't telling anybody that....kept the fear part to myself.  Eventually the pain got so bad that I couldn't put it off any longer.

As soon as I came to even though I could feel the pain where they'd cut in to me, I knew immediatly that the pain that I'd been feeling for a couple of years was gone.  My immediate fear was that it would come back.....either as soon as the meds wore off or eventually, on it's own time.

Eventually I healed from the surgery and was now getting around by my self (that was a huge milestone for me!).  That was 30 years ago.  I still have back pain but not near the level that I had before that surgery.  Looking back on all of it, I wished I'd not put it off for that two years. 

I've used a chriopracther for years, since that surgery and swear by them (if they're a good one....I've run across a few that don't have a clue what the hell they're doing).  And just in the last few months I've learned about something that really surprises me.....CBD oil!  I use the one that has the THC in it and is made by somebody that's really into the more holistic approach. 

My wife kept nagging at me to just try it.  She was using it for arthritis pain and pain in her back.  Being ever skeptical but I fianlly surrendered one night when my back was really hurting.....within 20 minutes the pain was gone!  I was shocked!!  I slept like a baby that night.  Since then, every time my back starts hurting (seems like it's when I'm going to bed that I'm really aware of it or when I wake up in the morning and I'm stiff and achy) she puts it on my back and within 15 or 20 minutes pain is gone or at least way down.  The down side is that it only lasts a couple of hours.  But you know yourself that when you're in pain you'll do almost anything to get a couple hours of relief.  Just saying, you might want to try it, going forward.

I will also say that back when I had my surgery it probably was 50-50 but since then I've talked to far more people that have had successful back surgery than those that wish they hadn't had the surgery.  Just off the top of my head, I'd say that 80% of those that I talk to are glad that they had it.  Like myself, they're not 100% pain free but much less pain than they had before the surgery.  Those cases that people end up further handicapped, paralized or other issues is much, much more rare than it used to be.

Good luck with your surgery and don't get in a hurry after the surgery.....follow the doctor's direction to the letter!    Let's see what others post here.....

By the way....the doc told me to never ride again, never lift more than 35 lbs. again, etc. etc.  I'm a knucklehead and as time goes along we just do what we do and that may be why I still have issues from time to time.  You will get a lot better at listening to your body......and tell the youngster standing next to you "can you help me with this?".  Since then I've rode ocean to ocean a couple of times and probably a total of a couple hundred thousand miles and I lift far, far more than 35 lbs.  Try to stay optamistic and focus on the positive and when you hear the negative just remember all of the positive that you've heard. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:07:15 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »

First of all, sorry to hear that your back problems have progressed to requiring surgery. I know it is both painful and frustrating.

Here is a tale of two surgeries...

My wife suffered with chronic back problems for 25 years. Her diagnosis was degenerative disc disease which, ultimately, caused her lower three discs to fail. Over the years, she went through numerous alternative treatments, including physical therapy, steroid injections in the back, and pain management. Her sciatic nerve began experiencing damage (she would collapse without warning while standing or walking), she was up to eight Advil per day, and her blood pressure was no longer treatable with normal medications. With all other alternatives exhausted, she agreed to consult with a very well respected surgeon in the area (Dallas/Fort Worth). He had the bedside manner of a potato, but was very honest in his assessment - she had a 55%-60% chance of success with surgery (which could improve if she followed the recommended physical therapy to the letter) and a 100% chance that she would be in a wheelchair within three years without surgery. His recommendation was to replace the lower three discs and fuse all three together using two titanium rods. Basically, she was to be put on a rotisserie where they replaced the discs from the stomach, then rotated her over and inserted the rods. He had developed a proprietary real-time monitoring technology that allowed him to test nerve response throughout her lower body during surgery, so he could verify the degree of success for all procedures taken during the surgery.

Upon awaking in recovery, she was in excruciating pain because the new discs and rods were stretching her back muscles back to their normal length. This was normal, but not explained to us prior to surgery. They treated the pain with codeine, but had to incrementally ramp her up so as not to over-medicate. She stayed in the hospital for two nights, then was released to my care. Once the back muscles stretched (and after she was off codeine) and relaxed, she could really feel the improvements. She had to wear a custom fit brace for several months after the surgery and had a very structured physical therapy regimen, which she stuck to religiously. I was in-between jobs and able to stay home with her for two months. You WILL need some home help. It took almost a full year for her to return to her "new" normal. I say "new", because she does have some restricted movement. Now, nine years later, she will tell you it was the best decision she's ever made. She plays tennis, rides on the back of my motorcycle, and leads a very normal life. She used to ride her own bike, but gave it up about five years before the surgery due to the back pain. She is capable of riding her own motorcycle today (strength-wise), but chooses to ride pillion instead. She's also the first to tell you that if you don't trust your surgeon or aren't willing to follow the physical therapy recommendations, don't bother even discussing surgery.

We had a friend who also had severe back problems that he'd been dealing with for +10 years. He was very active in sports and business, and just couldn't be burdened with the problem any longer. He went to the same doctor, but the doctor strongly recommended against surgery at this time - basically refused to operate. Our friend wouldn't take no for an answer and found another surgeon (from a different practice) that agreed to perform the surgery. The surgery went fine, but the friend didn't follow the recommended physical therapy regimen and, eager to return to his sports, pushed himself too hard, too fast. Needless to say, he suffers from worse pain today and has very few options remaining.

Bottom line, make sure you have a strong trust in your surgeon and have exhausted all alternative treatments. In the end, the success of the surgery is probably more about you than perhaps the surgeon's skill. Don't wait too long...those years of taking 8-10 Advil a day caused liver and colon damage that she deals with on a daily basis.

P.S. Just based on your post, it doesn't sound like you have discussed the surgery and recovery expectations in nearly enough detail with your surgeon...or didn't take enough notes!

P.S.S. The bonus in all of this is if she passes before I do, I have permission to melt her down and use the melted titanium rods to build a new custom driver for my golf club set.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:43:13 PM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »

I have had major back surgery as you describe twice. First time I recovered and was pretty much pain free for 12 years, just occasional aches & pains. Then I simply started my lawn edger one day and it hurt. In 3 months I once again got to hurting so bad I couldn't urinate, just like the first time. That time it took me a couple years to heal totally, but i now have about 19 years of only minor pain when I actually do something I know I shouldn't. Technology is getting so much better every year that I would have no problem doing surgery again tomorrow if I were hurting. Last year cancer popped up, back surgery was overall a breeze comparatively.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »

I had the "360" disc replacement/fusion a year ago April 6. This was at L3, 4, 5 The surgery COMPLETLY eradicated the severe/crippling nerve pain...BUT as a result of the surgery I developed a ventral hernia (belly button to left side) almost 9 inches.  Mesh surgery repair in July.  I'm having rejection issues with the metals and such and AS SOON as the fusions are complete gonna have the rods and screws removed.  Haven't been on my scooter in 18 months   Do your exercises for core strength BEFORE and definitely follow the PT to the letter for the best results.  I quit smokin the month before as nicotine trumps the bone graphs necessary for the fusion.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:19:44 AM by Opossum »
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Farm boy

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »

Thank all of you for your information.  Sorry for asking about such personal stuff.
This is my concern, I was carrying a 50# bag of bird seed on my shoulder. While I was standing in line, I felt my lower back kinda slide to the left. The next day it was really tight and I stayed home from work to rest it. Went back to work and was very careful.  By the next weekend I was having trouble doing anything. Had to pull myself up to a standing position in a doorway. Went to chiropractor, no success,  back was too tight.  General practitioner gave me muscle relaxers, then MRI and referral.  I had some numbness down the front of my legs. It was somewhat difficult to tell, as a few years ago I had a tree limb from a down tree knock my feet out from under me when I cut it. It mashed my right shin so bad you could see the bone. Nothing broken,  so all is good. The shin is numb all the time now.
Anyhow,  after a shot of steroids in the back to calm my nerves down, I really don't have pain. Sure I'm a little weak from not doing much for close to two months,  but I don't feel too bad. They never gave me exercises to do,  and I was afraid I was going to make it worse,  so I did some pelvic tilt exercises that I knew wouldn't hurt anything.
When I went for the consult,  I thought he was going to discuss options.  Said, I need the surgery and set a date. Said, that I have a 40% chance to get better with physical therapy.
Big problem is, if I end you with a lifetime weight restriction, I will have to change careers. And my company won't take me back, unless I am a 100%
Ye olde catch 22
That is the condensed version.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 04:14:15 PM »

Putting the surgery off and going back to work.....isn't that just kicking the can down the road while risking injuring yourself even more?

I didn't have any choice...I could barely walk.  I spent two years on disability hoping that I would get better.  I had to change careers also, at 38 yrs. old.

I sent you a message.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:16:17 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »

I'm in the group that has been down the road of back surgery and also neck. The lower back for me L3,4,5 was/is a problem. I saw Doc's from the East Coast to the West, the only option that I was really given was the Rods, screws and fusion without much of a good prognosis for the out years. When I finally said "OK" I can not take it any more I saw a Doc that told me that I needed surgery, BUT his approach was laminectomy. This is basically cutting and removing the back portion of each of the three vertebrae without placing anything in as a replacement. No one had ever even mentioned this approach to me. I had it done and would it do it again in a heart beat! Still have major back issues, but knew that going in and I will have them all my life. But I am far better then before I had the surgery.

My advice is to see other Doc's and maybe get some other options. There are some great "cutters" out there and others that just barely made it through to the get the title. Personally I have only let Neurosurgeons do this type of work on me, I always thought I would rather have  a Brain Surgeon working that close to my spinal cord then an orthopedic guy that mostly hammers away on hip or knee replacements. Clearly just me and I don't take anything from some of the great ortho guys out there that do nothing but backs and necks.

As JC said, remember the positives and seek treatments even if they are not always the normal.

Best of luck, remain positive, and work on your core strength as much as you can it will speed your recovery time.           

Farm boy

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 10:27:36 AM »

Thank you all for letting me in on your personal experiences. I'm not going to lie, this terrifies me. I grew up farming, still bale hay, my whole career I've been a mechanic, and we heat strictly with wood. Either way this surgery comes out, walk, or not, all of that changes. I would appreciate any and all prayers for clear direction on this.
Thanks

Farm boy

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 10:02:09 PM »

Update,  was told that with physical therapy,  I have a 40% chance of getting better. Asked about getting better with surgery,  50-50. Going with therapy first.
Thanks again for all of the discussion on it.

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »

Update,  was told that with physical therapy,  I have a 40% chance of getting better. Asked about getting better with surgery,  50-50. Going with therapy first.

Good news. I would exhaust all other options before having surgery. Then always get a second or even a third opinion. Hopefully therapy will do the trick. Good luck.

2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »

Had back problems since early 70"s, manage to live with . But last summer getting shooting pains down the back of my legs. 11/01/19 had back surgery, removed disc and fused L5-L4. Pain gone immediately after surgery. Still have older back issue but, living with it.. JC

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.