Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Screaching and knocking noise 2011 CVO Roadglide (HELP)  (Read 2333 times)

btracy1963

Re: Screaching and knocking noise 2011 CVO Roadglide (HELP)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 12:55:31 PM »

A lot of damage can occur in ten miles.  At the very least you will need to open up the cam chest, remove the lifters, remove the cam plate, cams, and oil pump, and check for damage and debris.  Drain the oil into a clean container and check for metallic particles, remove and cut open the oil filter and look for metallic particles.  It doesn't take long for debris to migrate through the system.  It is very rare to have a lifter roller fail and not find debris elsewhere.

Jerryta
I pulled the lifters and found lifter where the wheel wasn't turning like it should. the cam lobe where this lifters resided looks good. The markings on the cam are different but I believe I'm ok. Im installing S&S Quikee pushrods and S&S lifters. If I start hearing noises  I will install the 585 S&S cam. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for your help I truly learned so much from this experience!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 11:22:04 PM »

I pulled the lifters and found lifter where the wheel wasn't turning like it should. the cam lobe where this lifters resided looks good. The markings on the cam are different but I believe I'm ok. Im installing S&S Quikee pushrods and S&S lifters. If I start hearing noises  I will install the 585 S&S cam. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for your help I truly learned so much from this experience!
Hope you will be the very lucky one to squeak through but frankly I really doubt it.  I'm about 99.9% sure you will be in for a very unpleasant and expensive 'surprise' before too long.  Having lost three 110" TC motors due to lifter failure I can tell you that by the time you hear / realize there is a problem significant damage has been done.  It doesn't take much for microscopic bits of metal to infiltrate the oil pump, the cam bearings and the rod bearings on the crankshaft.  Once you hear the noise you described it's already there and you'll have to eventually tear it completely down for a total rebuild.  When you do I suggest replacing the oil cooler as it is nigh impossible to clean completely.  The oil pan is also difficult to clean because of the baffles in it.

I've enjoyed my 110" TC motors and they ran great but they failed way too early due to the poor engineering of the valve train.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

busarealfast

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »

I agree, I'm not very happy about my cvo 110. It had an oil leak (seep)at the rear head gasket I noticed while cleaning at 29k(obviously leaking before I noticed). Then while pulling the lifters and cams for inspection at 40k the rear cam had overheating witness marking that turned out to be the cam bearing rollers flaking. Installed a new redshift 587 cam,went on a 50 mile road test and the head gasket that was seeping oil blew. Bought a 117 big bore kit and checked the run out on the crank at oil pump which was .0045 but while rotating the rods around I noticed they would bind every couple of turns. I then sent the crank to darkhorse for a rebuild and they called me and said the drive shaft was bent .018 and recommended replacement. I also notice while taking apart the engine the clutch hub splines are failing (chipping). Oh and the engine paint flaking off looks like crap too (granite). My 2002 roadking had 50k on it before I installed the stage 2 and the spring loaded chain tensioners that I heard horror stories about where only half worn. My wife after seeing what this is costing said why don't you sell that thing.
2009 Ultra CVO Stage 4
Vance & Hines Pro pipe
Thundermax auto tune
Ephesians 2:8

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 09:36:54 AM »

I agree, I'm not very happy about my cvo 110. It had an oil leak (seep)at the rear head gasket I noticed while cleaning at 29k(obviously leaking before I noticed). Then while pulling the lifters and cams for inspection at 40k the rear cam had overheating witness marking that turned out to be the cam bearing rollers flaking. Installed a new redshift 587 cam,went on a 50 mile road test and the head gasket that was seeping oil blew. Bought a 117 big bore kit and checked the run out on the crank at oil pump which was .0045 but while rotating the rods around I noticed they would bind every couple of turns. I then sent the crank to darkhorse for a rebuild and they called me and said the drive shaft was bent .018 and recommended replacement. I also notice while taking apart the engine the clutch hub splines are failing (chipping). Oh and the engine paint flaking off looks like crap too (granite). My 2002 roadking had 50k on it before I installed the stage 2 and the spring loaded chain tensioners that I heard horror stories about where only half worn. My wife after seeing what this is costing said why don't you sell that thing.
your wife might be right! :2vrolijk_21:

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 06:29:09 PM »

This sounds like the "Angry Birds" I spoke about on my '09 at 36k....  :jack:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.