Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: rumored 120 horse indian motor's likely impact on CVO mkt  (Read 6066 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: rumored 120 horse indian motor's likely impact on CVO mkt
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »

HD's focus has been on electric & the smaller engine bikes, several new entries.  Likely they have a bigger touring engine in the works, am wondering if they do then when will it be introduced?  The 117 is not that old.
Harlys touring line will need a significant upgrade to compete. The frame and suspension to start. A watercooled V4 would be a great OPTION for top of the line touring models. Features like clutchless shifting, active suspension would be great.

Hope they do it!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »

Those bars have to go. No way could I ride something like that. My shoulder blades would be on fire in 15 miles.

They do seem a bit low but look at the feller a'riding it.  He's got some height to him so maybe for someone 6 ft or lower, they would be better?  I'm hoping that goiter sticking out right behind his left foot is part of the disguise process 'cause it ain't none too purdy.

It will be an interesting bike and unless I'm missing some specs, at 120 hp factory, that would be the strongest V twin, stock... :nixweiss:

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 09:05:42 AM »

:2vrolijk_09: :2vrolijk_09:

Well I already made the jump over to Indian. I was tempted to wait for the water cooled bike but I did not want to wait another 2 years. I say 2 years because I try not to buy engines in the same year they are released. I put a deposit on the red bike in this picture yesterday. I am having them add their PowerBand Audio system and their 116 CI Big Bore Kit along with every chrome bit they have available for it. They did not have a Chieftain Elite Model this year so I am adding all of the stuff that an Elite would have plus the Big Bore Kit and a few other things. Came out to 38,400 including labor and before trade and taxes. A guy from Texas is going to meet me at the Indian Dealership to buy my 2013 CVO Road King on a courtesy trade. If that falls through I will just trade the Road King.

I sure have enjoyed the interaction with the folks here over the last 6 years or so!!!

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 05:57:35 PM »

the road chief     :indian_chief:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 08:07:04 PM »

Heart & Soul

The documentary a few years back on Harley & The Davidson’s really opened my eyes.

These guys were motorcyclist through and through. They had a love and passion like no others.

Indian on the other hand was a business all about the almighty buck $$$. They failed in the long run and while the MoCo has seen some difficult times they have survived and set the bar.

I have a couple of friends in Rolling Thunder with Indians and they like them, but have their problems and issues also. One had to be trailered back home last year from DC.

I will reserve my person opinion on the looks of Indian products. To each their own. Style, brand and color are a personal choice.

I think Indian realizes that they are so far behind that they must really step the game up. This is a good thing for all of us. Competition is always good. We the consumer will benefit.

As for me I bleed HD all day. Even with many trips to Daytona for bike week I have yet had the desire to even test ride an Indian.

Ride safe

mark

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 11:22:22 PM »

Heart & Soul

The documentary a few years back on Harley & The Davidson’s really opened my eyes.

These guys were motorcyclist through and through. They had a love and passion like no others.

Indian on the other hand was a business all about the almighty buck $$$. They failed in the long run and while the MoCo has seen some difficult times they have survived and set the bar.

I have a couple of friends in Rolling Thunder with Indians and they like them, but have their problems and issues also. One had to be trailered back home last year from DC.

I will reserve my person opinion on the looks of Indian products. To each their own. Style, brand and color are a personal choice.

I think Indian realizes that they are so far behind that they must really step the game up. This is a good thing for all of us. Competition is always good. We the consumer will benefit.

As for me I bleed HD all day. Even with many trips to Daytona for bike week I have yet had the desire to even test ride an Indian.

Ride safe
That show, Harley and the Davisdons, was written from an HD perspective and the intent of the writer was to make HD the moral choice (i.e., HD = good, Indian = bad). In other words, it was "Hollywooded" to give a desired outcome.  You see this in about every film released...there is a good guy and a villain.  Don't put too much into it.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »

The Harley Touring frame is long in the tooth, its 10 years old.  Harley is really going to need to update the frame, the suspension and the engine if it wants to stay competitive. 

Its' getting harder and harder to justify a Harley.  Cost is going up and up.  And for the added cost for the most part your getting less.

Right now, the biggest thing Harley has going for it is the fact they have a Huge dealer network, no other brand is even close.  That is important if you do lots of travel by motorcycle.  Next is Harleys loyal customer base. 

Those two are only going to continue for so long if Harley does not come up with a bike to compete, with a better frame, better suspension and better power.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

J.D.

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »

I still don't understand the horsepower wars on these heavy dressers.  How much is enough?  My "little" tc88 with stage 2 upgrades is more than enough power to get where I'm going.  I want reliability, not big power.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 09:31:32 AM »

That show, Harley and the Davisdons, was written from an HD perspective and the intent of the writer was to make HD the moral choice (i.e., HD = good, Indian = bad). In other words, it was "Hollywooded" to give a desired outcome.  You see this in about every film released...there is a good guy and a villain.  Don't put too much into it.

Excellent point regarding "Hollywooded".  And that PC take on topics/subjects/issues changes over time and often reflects the wished for instead of the actual, as it did with that very 'Harley friendly' movie.  Learned this early on when "Bonnie & Clyde" came out.  Killer scum thugs falsely glorified by a movie as altruistic misunderstood heroes. In reality they were murdering scum that robbed mostly individuals at small stores & in my home town shot a man to death for no reason. Movies try to re-tell history and sometimes do it poorly.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »

The Harley Touring frame is long in the tooth, its 10 years old.  Harley is really going to need to update the frame, the suspension and the engine if it wants to stay competitive. 

Its' getting harder and harder to justify a Harley.  Cost is going up and up.  And for the added cost for the most part your getting less.

Right now, the biggest thing Harley has going for it is the fact they have a Huge dealer network, no other brand is even close.  That is important if you do lots of travel by motorcycle.  Next is Harleys loyal customer base. 

Those two are only going to continue for so long if Harley does not come up with a bike to compete, with a better frame, better suspension and better power.
Couldn't have said it better. Riding the coat tails of past success without progressing to the future.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Spiked Olive

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »

You are correct. I was going to actually mention that however I did not want to chase that rabbit and make the post too long. But there are actual facts that can be searched including copying HD designs, patenting them and seeing HD then for using the design. The two guys that put their names on the brand had a love for bikes and a passion like no others.

I feel that passion when I look at, start up and Ride my bike. I do not feel any passion at all when I look at an Indian. Just my opinion.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2019, 07:44:44 AM »

I still don't understand the horsepower wars on these heavy dressers.  How much is enough?  My "little" tc88 with stage 2 upgrades is more than enough power to get where I'm going.  I want reliability, not big power.

Well, I for one like having plenty of passing power, for out west and the 80 mph speed limit.  I like plenty of power for going up mountain grades and being able to pass.  Like you say, these baggers are heavy, 900 pounds.  So 150 HP like the BMW is where we should be.

Then again I have never believed there was such a thing as to much power. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 09:18:33 AM »

Well, I for one like having plenty of passing power, for out west and the 80 mph speed limit.  I like plenty of power for going up mountain grades and being able to pass.  Like you say, these baggers are heavy, 900 pounds.  So 150 HP like the BMW is where we should be.

Yeah, what you said.  2-up in the Rockies my stock TC 88 struggled some.  M8 no issues in the mountains. More power - to a point (weight. rideability) - is better.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »

Yeap.  Get a bagger with a trailer behind it in the mountains and an 88 and that bitch becomes hard work to ride.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2019, 04:37:05 PM »

I too would like the upgrades mentioned, engine frame maybe water. One can only guess what that crazy price tag would look like.
As far as the power is concerned. with the 124 and the procharger, 208 and 178 was perfect!

BigLew
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.