Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front Wheel Off Center - Not aligned between forks  (Read 3664 times)

TexasRon

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Front Wheel Off Center - Not aligned between forks
« on: May 04, 2019, 10:13:42 AM »

Hello all. New here and have a question regarding the front wheel alignment of my 99 FXR2.

The bike has an aftermarket front wheel that was put on by the previous owner. I recently replaced neck bearings, fork seals, etc. and noticed when I put the front wheel back on the bike that the wheel is not aligned in the center of the forks. It is off to the left, the rotor side, between 1/8 and 1/4 inch. So when sitting on the bike the front wheel is farther to the left and is not centered between the forks.
I'm wondering if this is normal or is this the result of the aftermarket front wheel not properly spaced? I've read in some forums that front wheels are sometimes off center to account for engine placement, single disk breaks, or other weight distribution reasons but haven't got a real answer and I haven't run into any FXR specific.

Anyone out there know if this is something I should be concerned about?

Let me know if pictures would help and I can take a couple.
Thanks!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Front Wheel Off Center - Not aligned between forks
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 01:03:32 AM »

Sounds like parts have been swapped in that didn't align as OE parts do.  (sorry for stating the obvious there -- I do that sometimes)

You can't just buy a spacer assortment or spacer stock and start cutting pieces to move the wheel where you want it though.  If you move the wheel the rotor will no longer align in the caliper.  So whomever did whatever you're seeing did whatever spacing they did to get the rotor aligned in the caliper.

There are spacer to go between rotors and wheels also.  So come combination of that and axle spacers could get everything in a visual alignment for you.  Narrow glides are called "narrow" for a reason though.  You can't get off that far.  If it rides right and handles well you might ok leaving good enough alone.  Sometimes if it ain't broke you really are better off not trying to fix it.

Full disclosure here: ^ that is a lesson I have sometimes not followed myself!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »

Over the years I've seen more than a few bikes with offset front wheels, so it's not something new.  Ideally I would want my front and rear wheels to be perfectly aligned so the rear tracks exactly the same line as the front, but if the difference is very small it might not really matter.  After all, often a totally stock Harley doesn't track perfectly straight either thanks to all their tolerance stack-ups.

As Twolane mentioned, the reason for your particular situation is likely due to the rotor mounting surface of the aftermarket wheel (I assume the bike has the stock legs and caliper).  Verify that the rotor is centered in the caliper and not also shifted to one side. If it's centered properly in the caliper, before you modify anything you should determine the brand of wheel and consult with that company to see if they have a properly engineered solution to the issue.  You may be able to center the wheel and then shim the caliper to align with the rotor, or perhaps shim the rotor to the wheel, but either way I'd want something better than just throwing a couple washers under each attachment point.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TexasRon

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 12:46:02 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
At this point I'm probably going to put it back together, make sure it's all aligned and ride it for a bit to see if it feels wonkey or not. Previously it handled bad but I put that off to the bad front shocks.
If it still feels funny I will look into spacing out either the rotor or caliper.

I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the wheel, or even how to find out who made it. There are no markings on it. It's a 21" 80 spoke chrome wheel, but thats about all I know. I've tried to compare it with some pictures on JP Cycles and other sales sites but haven't found anything that is exact. Also, I believe the caliper is after market as well, but not sure of the make of that either.

Thanks again!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 03:04:42 PM »

Thanks for the replies.
At this point I'm probably going to put it back together, make sure it's all aligned and ride it for a bit to see if it feels wonkey or not. Previously it handled bad but I put that off to the bad front shocks.
If it still feels funny I will look into spacing out either the rotor or caliper.

I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the wheel, or even how to find out who made it. There are no markings on it. It's a 21" 80 spoke chrome wheel, but thats about all I know. I've tried to compare it with some pictures on JP Cycles and other sales sites but haven't found anything that is exact. Also, I believe the caliper is after market as well, but not sure of the make of that either.

Thanks again!

On my FXR2 I recently had to change a front wheel (was rusted on the inside to the point of being pitted through).  Despite it being supposedly a "stock" replacement according to the manufacturer of course it was not.  Not that I expected it to be but, still, one can hope....

After not liking the stock brakes I also decided to put on a better front caliper.  It all "bolts on" but obviously none of it was actually a "bolt on" that would fit and be ready to go.  So just had to go through the tedium of measuring, spacing, and aligning.  It's nothing unexpected and when we go with aftermarket accessories, especially multiple aftermarket accessories in combination, we have to know it's up to us to make things work together.  The aftermarketeers can't (not realistically) be expected to compare against everything.

In my case it was a different spacer on the right side, a new spacer in a position that had never had one before between the speedo adapter and the wheel bearing on the left side, and just a little spacer on the caliper to really dial it in.  It was an afternoon tinkering with the bike to get everything just right.  Could the four or five hours and multiple on-and-offs be spent doing other things?  Sure.  But tinkering with a bike is still better than mowing the yard. 

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 22 queries.