Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: D&D Removable Baffles 2-1 pipes  (Read 10711 times)

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
Re: D&D Removable Baffles 2-1 pipes
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 10:16:11 PM »

I just removed my baffle-piece of cake. It has been installed for about 2,500 miles and one year.

First I soaked the back end of the pipe where it was carboned up with solvent and then penetrating oil, then cleaned out as much carbon as I could with steel wool.  Then I tried the pound it out with a 2X2, too small, so  I cut a 2X4 to just fit inside the front of the pipe, laid the muffler down on a few towels on the work bench, and popped the baffle right out with a small sledge. 

Now if I just had the replacement quiet baffle I'd be done.

I would say that the main problem would be trying to pound the baffle out without having cleaned out all the carbon, as it is a fairly tight fit in the barrel. Also having the maximum diameter piece of wood helps, as the baffles are sharp and a slightly smaller piece of wood will just get wedged in tighter and tighter as the baffles are sharp and will rasp off the corners of the wood.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:19:14 PM by icybay »

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 05:32:57 PM »

I just removed my baffle-piece of cake. It has been installed for about 2,500 miles and one year.

First I soaked the back end of the pipe where it was carboned up with solvent and then penetrating oil, then cleaned out as much carbon as I could with steel wool.  Then I tried the pound it out with a 2X2, too small, so  I cut a 2X4 to just fit inside the front of the pipe, laid the muffler down on a few towels on the work bench, and popped the baffle right out with a small sledge. 

Now if I just had the replacement quiet baffle I'd be done.

I would say that the main problem would be trying to pound the baffle out without having cleaned out all the carbon, as it is a fairly tight fit in the barrel. Also having the maximum diameter piece of wood helps, as the baffles are sharp and a slightly smaller piece of wood will just get wedged in tighter and tighter as the baffles are sharp and will rasp off the corners of the wood.
Just learned today you can wrap your own baffle with fiberglass. Boy that would saved a few dollars :o Do not know were you would get the fiberglass that mufflers use but Im sure some here does?

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 09:53:19 PM »

There seems to be some terminology that is confusing me.  There is a performance baffle, a standard baffle and a quiet baffle? 

Are there three types or two?? :confused5:

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 01:24:33 PM »

There are actually three that can be ordered. But on the standard baffle you can make it a quite baffle by wrapping it with fiberglass yourself thus making it a quite baffle. As long as your standard baffle is louvered. Hope this helps.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 07:52:23 AM »

It does, thanks.  I suspect I have the unwrapped one.  Man, I LOVE THESE PIPES! :xyxthumbs:

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 11:03:55 AM »

Finally got my quiet baffle and installed.  About a 20 minute job, including putting the muffler on twice due to putting the clamp on backwards.

It makes a huge difference at cruise, I think the stereo is at about half the volume setting as with the regular baffle. I can even talk to the passenger without having her yelling "WHAT???" everytime.

But not to worry- it is PLENTY loud under full throttle, can't tell the difference between that and the old baffle, and the idle has a great sound also. ;D ;D ;D

IMO well worth the money, can't see why I would ever put the regular baffle back in. Mine was not louvered, so I don't think it would work wrapping it with fiberglass.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.