Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: E-Bay help  (Read 2062 times)

iamtrker2

E-Bay help
« on: March 25, 2007, 06:21:12 PM »

Ok here is the deal i need some help from those of you that have sold on E-Bay, i am new to selling and need to know which is better,
Start bid low and put a reserve price for the least i would sell for or just start the bidding at that price.
I have never understood the reserve thing but there must be a reason to do it this way. I would just start the bidding at the lowest price i would take for that item.
Any ideas which is best would be appreciated.

Thanks
Desert Rat
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 06:36:50 PM by Desert Rat »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: E-Bay help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 06:33:55 PM »

Ok here is the deal i need some help from those of you that have sold on E-Bay, i am new to selling and need to know which is better,
Start bid low and put a reserve price for the least i would sell for or just start the bidding at that price.
I have never understood the reserve thing but there must be a reason to do it this way. I would just start the bidding at the lowest price i would take for that item.
Any ideas which is best would be appreciated.

Thanks
Desert Rat

Personally, I would just start it at what I wanted & let it go from there. This way someone knows where you stand. With that being said, I've only bought on ebay.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 06:34:46 PM »

I have sold some high dollar items and on them I put a reserve for the lowest I would take on that item. You can always lower the reserve if you change your mind.Or if it dont sell you can relist for free. On the low dollar items just go with it. If were talking a Harley item it usally sells well. But you have to be patient because the most bidding happens in the last 24hrs. Hope this help some. Goodluck.

Hotrodstitcher

• Senior CVO Member
    • Sid Chavers Company
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:45:57 PM »

I buy and sell a fair amount of Harley stuff on E-bay. I do not like reserve auctions, you have no idea what they want for there parts. Most good Harley stuff will bring a fair price,(about 50% of retail for good used) I start all my auctions at 00.99 , be patient  most bidding happens in the last few minutes. If its something that you have to have a certain price for start at the least you"ll take...Good Luck...Sid

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 08:11:45 PM »

I would say have a reserve start auction at $0.99 then don't expect heavy bidding until a few hours/minutes before auction ends. I've seen things go for way less then they should because item was misspelled or in the wrong category and didn't get the hits (looks) that it should have. The reserve will save you from getting robbed. Good luck.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 08:15:35 PM »

The listing fees that ebay charges are based on listing price so the higher you start the more listing fee you pay.

CAFatBoy2006SE

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO OCD

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »

hd-dude is correct. If you start it at 0.99 then you will pay a much lower price in listing fees rather than starting it off in the 100's or 1000's. Set the reserve at a reasonable price and if you want you can even tell people that are interested in the bike to email you for reserve price. Reserve will save your butt. Cheers!

2006 Screamin’ Eagle Fat Boy
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
18" Drag Specialties Big Buffalo 1.5" Ape Hanger
Custom Mirrors
Eliminator® LED Turn/Brake License Plate Frame
Legend Air Ride
Kuryakyn Lizard Maximus LED Kit
Adjure Diamond Cut Trillient Headlamp & Spots w/ Blue Dots
Nacelle Kit

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 03:47:54 PM »

In classes we attended to get going with our eBay listings of parts, the word from eBay is that auctions that open and allow bidding from a small dollar amount always do best in general.  A reserve is fine as long as the bidders can make their bids from the start.

If you start at a higher dollar amount often no one jumps in, where you can hook someone that would end up paying your price if you allow it to takes it's natural course.  Good luck on your sale :2vrolijk_21:

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:46:01 PM »

I have sold several items on ebay with great success. I put the min bid @ whatever I actually would sell the part for locally, then any bid above min is a plus. I have never had to relist, every item has sold for more than min.
The one story I love to tell is the HD give-a-way Road King Classic poster from a few years ago. Local dealer gave me 10, they brought $915 on ebay + postage. I was happy!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 09:55:22 PM »

I have sold several items on ebay with great success. I put the min bid @ whatever I actually would sell the part for locally, then any bid above min is a plus. I have never had to relist, every item has sold for more than min.
The one story I love to tell is the HD give-a-way Road King Classic poster from a few years ago. Local dealer gave me 10, they brought $915 on ebay + postage. I was happy!
You got to be chitting me? :o I've got one of those still wrapped up that I never had framed. That's a nice chunk of OCD money if I could get that much for it.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:57:26 PM »

You got to be chitting me? :o I've got one of those still wrapped up that I never had framed. That's a nice chunk of OCD money if I could get that much for it.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I love that poster.  It was what my last Road King was when it started.  Have one hung in the house and one hung in the office of the shop.  Great looking poster.

Page created in 3.443 seconds with 21 queries.