Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: GPS Help !!!  (Read 3989 times)

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
GPS Help !!!
« on: August 01, 2007, 12:36:17 AM »

Hey! Guy's
Boy! after the trip to Nelson it became clear that a good GPS is the way to go! So now the question is ( Which one ) is the best. I've been looking at the Garmin 550 with the XM and all whats everybody think!

Don

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: GPS Help !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 12:38:05 AM »

Excellent choice.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 12:45:08 AM »

Don, do you mean the old C550 or the newer Zumo 550?

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 01:15:06 AM »

Don, do you mean the old C550 or the newer Zumo 550?

Don the Zumo550

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 04:06:15 AM »

I ran the Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for a couple of years and it was great. I have now bought the Zumo 550 and it is even better - bluetooth capable for wire free connection, mp3s and you can download your photos to it. For me there is no other choice.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:15:33 AM »

This was one of the neatest ways to attach the antenna. This was on Andy's bike in NY when we visited Hoist.

Nige
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:22:15 AM by ahog110 SERK »
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »

this is my second Garmin I now have the Zumo 550 with the Blueant bluetooth work great. can't leave home with out it. Nice to find food gas and lodgeing without ever asking for help. Very simple to use. billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 10:07:11 PM »

Don, I don't know anything about the 550 but I have the Garmin 2730 with XM.  I use it on the bike and in the truck or car.  Jim mounted the antenna up inside the fairing for me and ran the wiring up along the bars to the mount.  A pretty nice set up and very user friendly. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 03:33:18 PM »

I have a Garmin Quest II.  The things I like about the Quest II is that it is weather-proof and portable.  It comes with a suction mount for your cars and there is an option for a handle bar mount for your bike.  It has turn by turn audible instructions (if you have speakers).  The Quest II can also be used as a hand-held unit if you want to carry it to the woods.

I bought the bike mount and used it on my 02 Ultra and it worked great.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 01:38:17 PM »

I run the 2820, and love it.  No antenna needed, (it internal), and all the goodies...   Might worth a look. 
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »

Jim mounted the antenna up inside the fairing for me

Hey JC, does this mean your XM only works on the bike?
I just found out that with Garmin the GPS is not the XM receiver, the antenna is. Which also explains why it gets so warm and draws so much power.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 09:54:39 PM »

I ran the Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for a couple of years and it was great. I have now bought the Zumo 550 and it is even better - bluetooth capable for wire free connection, mp3s and you can download your photos to it. For me there is no other choice.

Nige
I also have the 2610.  Are the power connections the same for both units?  I did such a nice job hard wiring my 2610 I hate to do it again.  Wife could use the 2610 on business trips (my justification to purchase the 550)
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:50:51 AM »

Hey JC, does this mean your XM only works on the bike?
I just found out that with Garmin the GPS is not the XM receiver, the antenna is. Which also explains why it gets so warm and draws so much power.

Didn't know that... but it explains why it is so large compared to other xm antennas and so costly.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

ezrider

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 01:40:58 PM »

There is a comprehensive Zumo bike installatioin thread here that should be helpful for you: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=226.0

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »

Have had the Zumo 550 since it came out.  They have had to get some of the bugs out, but it's fantastic.  On a bagger that has the auxiliary input, you can listen to music from the mp3, get route instructions from the gps and not have to go back and forth to AUX and Radio.  If you have intercom and CB, they are on seperate circuits and donot interfere with the Zumo.  This means you keep the radio set on AUX and that's it.  You have the luxury of GPS, MP3, intercom, and CB all at the same time.  The Bluetooth can heard, but you can't respond without another mic connection.  Haven't wanted to be bothered by a phone call so haven't looked into that. Just went through a couple of downpours on my way to Sturgis and had no problems with the Zumo getting wet.

Problems;
For the car mount, the round plate needs to be sanded and a much better double face tape used to keep it attached to the dash.  I finally used a silicone to keep it attached.  The suction cup also lets go, with or without the Zumo on it.
There is a magnetic and rubber connector cover for the bike mount.  This has a flexible rubber connection to the mount so when the Garmin is not on the bike, you can flip up the cover to protect the connectors. After a short time the flexible rubber breaks and you can lose the magnetic cover.  Garmin has recently come out with a redesigned replacement that is not supposed to deteriorate.  They replaced mine at no charge.  They have a super customer service staff.
Lastly, I have had a gliche in the show map screen.  For some reason it comes up with a map of South America after you go to the turn by turn printed route screen. They are working on that one.

Framemaker, 06 SEULTRA, Crimson

ezrider

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 11:28:53 PM »

Unfortunately the Zumo often does not display the names of cities and towns you may be passing thru so you still need your paper maps for that info. There is a discussion on the problem here: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2390.0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 11:40:53 PM by ezrider »

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »

Unfortunately the Zumo often does not display the names of cities and towns you may be passing thru so you still need your paper maps for that info. There is a discussion on the problem here: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2390.0

Maybe Garmin will listen.  Seems like an easy fix for a future update of Maps???  Certainly helped me decide to "hold off" with any swap (Hey honey, you can have my 2610 and I will acquire the Zumo... what do you think?) :orange:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 11:15:28 PM by magicl1 »
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 11:41:56 PM »

Hey Magic:

Quite frankly, I love my 550.  On a bike you want good voice commands because you're too busy riding to read a small map screen.  I guess if you don't have a radio system that could be a problem. It has nice sized written turn by turn screens to determine your next move.  The no name map isn't a problem for me. I also like the MP3 system working with the gps.  You don't have to go back and forth to get directions and listen to tunes.  Any gliches seem to be accepted by Garmins Tech Support and they take care of them as soon as they can.  Programing apparently takes more time but they will stand by their product. 

Framemaker

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 12:23:14 AM »

Hey Magic:

Quite frankly, I love my 550.  On a bike you want good voice commands because you're too busy riding to read a small map screen.  I guess if you don't have a radio system that could be a problem. It has nice sized written turn by turn screens to determine your next move.  The no name map isn't a problem for me. I also like the MP3 system working with the gps.  You don't have to go back and forth to get directions and listen to tunes.  Any gliches seem to be accepted by Garmins Tech Support and they take care of them as soon as they can.  Programing apparently takes more time but they will stand by their product. 

Framemaker

The lack of towns would be a MAJOR snafu w/ me, I like to have a half a$$ idea where I am! The more I read about theses Zumo's the better my old 2730 looks.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Framemaker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 12:26:58 AM »

Like anything else on this thread, what works for some, don't work for others.
Ride smart,
Framemaker
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.