Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery  (Read 2484 times)

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Battery
« on: October 21, 2007, 04:49:26 AM »

Just wondering how everyone is going with their batteries. Mine just gave up after 27 months. I purchased a new one & the salesman told me I should keep a tender on it all the time when it is parked in my shed if I want to prolong the life of it & keep it up to its optimum performance. I thought he must know something about this since he runs a shop called "Battery World" so I made a simple plug in adaptor from some bits I picked up from the local electrical shop. I was using a tender from time to time but pulling the seat of & on all the time was a pain in the a$$. See pics of what I did, The best I could find was a 3 pin plug but I am only using 2 terminals.

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 04:51:53 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
Re: Battery
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:50:29 AM »

FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 05:10:19 AM »

Aussie,

We're on line at the same time, watch out!!

Ya know, if you hadn't explained what the plug was for in your post, I would have thought " How weird is he getting now?"

But rather than a Battery Tender, you are ingenious. It looks like most factory work: great install but in need of Chrome!!

You will never cease to amaze me.

Kona76
Mike K.
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 08:54:53 AM »

Wow, nice job! :2vrolijk_21:  Like kona said, it looks like it was made that way.  The battery in my SEEG is 4 years old this month, so that give you some indication of at least how long a Battery Tender-ed battery will last.  Your new hookup will make it a no-brainer to just pull in and plug in after every ride!

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 05:02:35 AM »

Wow, nice job! :2vrolijk_21:  Like kona said, it looks like it was made that way.  The battery in my SEEG is 4 years old this month, so that give you some indication of at least how long a Battery Tender-ed battery will last.  Your new hookup will make it a no-brainer to just pull in and plug in after every ride!

103tHunDer,

You obviously plug yours in after every ride, how do you make your connection?? 4 years & still going strong thats great.

I forgot to mention my new battery was $230, you guys in the USA would not pay any more than $100, so for me it is was really worth spending the $5 on the conections to make this so simple as I already had the tender.

Cheers
Aussie 
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:35:49 AM »

AUSSIE,  That is a very ingenious method you have come up with.  If you patent it you can probably find a ready market for that.  Looks good, makes it easy to use - so one will most likely use it. 

We have tenders all over the place, and are not as diligent as others at using ours.  Of course, we have to replace batteries faster too.  Jamey just replaced his battery on his bike this summer - 3 yr - 7 mos.  No warning - just one Sunday, pulled out of the garage and bike would not start.  I think the battery cost was $120.  Your right - it is cheaper to keep the tender on them. 

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 09:58:25 AM »

103tHunDer,

You obviously plug yours in after every ride, how do you make your connection?? 4 years & still going strong thats great.

I forgot to mention my new battery was $230, you guys in the USA would not pay any more than $100, so for me it is was really worth spending the $5 on the conections to make this so simple as I already had the tender.

Cheers
Aussie 

Aussie, I can post a photo tonight, but I just have a pigtail coming off of the battery, out one of the holes in the frame gusset right behind the rear cylinder and hanging down by the oil filler that I tuck back behind the wiring there when I'm riding, then pull it out and plug 'er in when I get back.  It works, but it's nothin' fancy like yours! :-\

I think the Harley batteries are closer to USD 150, so enough that it makes sense to do what you can to make them last and also to be sure they're fully charged for each ride.

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 04:10:21 AM »

Aussie,

See, I told you the response would be great!! I feel a "Group Buy" coming up in the near future....

But no Silver paint. Let's get sick and go CHROME!!!

Kona76
Mike K.
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 06:35:17 AM »

great fab skills AUSSIE!!! reckon you need to add a ground fault circuit protector? lol

my sick humor says to label GENERATOR OUTPUT under the plug. or maybe FLUX CORE CAPACITOR?

hope ya know im just pickin--------excellent work!!!!!!!!!!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »

great fab skills AUSSIE!!! reckon you need to add a ground fault circuit protector? lol

my sick humor says to label GENERATOR OUTPUT under the plug. or maybe FLUX CORE CAPACITOR?

hope ya know im just pickin--------excellent work!!!!!!!!!!

That would be my pick! :huepfenlol2:

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.