Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: What a dipstick  (Read 11055 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
What a dipstick
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:13:59 AM »

There are reasons it's a good idea to take something apart then in quick succession put it back together.  The number of bits there are in the disassembly is the multiplier for the number of reason to put it back together quickly.

Tonight I'm grumpy.  Three weeks ago (or so) I started working on the red bike.  Good intention of tearing the top end off one day and putting it back together the next.  Good intentions; yeah, right.

Got it apart.  Then real life intruded.  Didn't touch it again for a couple weeks.  Then the last week or so have taken a half hour here and 45 minutes there.  That kind of thing. 

Went out in the garage 45 minutes or so ago to follow on the little bit done last night.  Last night was sitting the cylinders back down and putting the heads on. 

Tonight uncovered things again.  Grabbed a few tools.  Cleaned off the pushrod tubes.  Grabbed a new set of o-rings for them.  Laid out the rocker boxes, rocker assemblies and their hardware.  And can't find the damned pushrods....

chit

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: What a dipstick
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 01:38:17 AM »

this all sounds somewhat vaguely familiar

this chit happens to all of us man....

tomorrow, it'll all work out

assuming USA 193 doesnt land in your garage , and the Toxic Iceberg crush the jugs...

you'll find 'em

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 04:01:36 AM »

At least you found the pushrod tubes.!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 06:45:34 AM »

There are reasons it's a good idea to take something apart then in quick succession put it back together.  The number of bits there are in the disassembly is the multiplier for the number of reason to put it back together quickly.

Tonight I'm grumpy.  Three weeks ago (or so) I started working on the red bike.  Good intention of tearing the top end off one day and putting it back together the next.  Good intentions; yeah, right.

Got it apart.  Then real life intruded.  Didn't touch it again for a couple weeks.  Then the last week or so have taken a half hour here and 45 minutes there.  That kind of thing. 

Went out in the garage 45 minutes or so ago to follow on the little bit done last night.  Last night was sitting the cylinders back down and putting the heads on. 

Tonight uncovered things again.  Grabbed a few tools.  Cleaned off the pushrod tubes.  Grabbed a new set of o-rings for them.  Laid out the rocker boxes, rocker assemblies and their hardware.  And can't find the damned pushrods....

chit

Mi amigo Don...give a call to Howie...Maybe he is using those... :huepfenjump3:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:40:15 AM »

Missing pushrods-Look here Don (in no particular order):

1)  You had take out Chinese a few days ago and forgot using them as chopsticks.

2)  Call sis and see if Parker has any new drum sticks.

3)  That isn't a half a set of small block Chevy pushrods you thought you kept.  

4)  In removing, you saw Zippers stamped on them and tossed them out the side  
     door.

5)  You secretly crave the new SE adjustable pushrods just released.

Hope this jogs your memory Don.

Bob

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »

Don I guess your getting old so welcome to the "OGG" club   "Ole Geezer Gang"    ;D

Hey I have the t-shirt.  I can't remember anything anymore.... but I think my problem is KIDS... Your problem may be the RED BIKE...  ;D ;)

~bubba~
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:19:32 AM by Bubba »
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 08:24:26 AM »

chit

I know the feeling.  I used to be able to remember every little detail of everything.  Either I have become far to busy and preoccupied with work life, or I am just plain getting old.   :(

I now lay everything out in as organized manner as possible and label everything...  All the fasteners or small parts I need to reuse I put in a individual plastic bags with a label and note.  I even have a notebook that I record things that I know I am going to want to remember down the road.

The only thing I lost during my motor rebuild was the tiny snap clip retainer for attaching the cruise control cable to the throttle body.  Of course, a day or two after obtaining a new one, I remembered where the original one was...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 08:29:14 AM »

I'm not the only one.  We put my power commander in a very safe place - we shared the safe place with each other so if one forgot, the other would remember, but when I got my bike back after the engine rebuild, neither of could remember, or find that power commander.  I figured it would pop up the second I bought an alternative, but is still has not surfaced.  I just hate when it happens.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »

I think that is more of a numb-nut than dipstick...But what do I know, I am a dumbass.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 09:03:53 AM »

The 75 year old man was sitting on the park bench crying his eyes out.

A passerby asked him "WHY are you crying?"

He replies: "I struck it rich back during the oil boom and I've got more money than I could possibly ever spend. I have a huge mansion with swimming pools, a 5 car garage three maids and a butler. My wife is 25 years old, built like a brick chithouse, loves to have sex, and waits on me hand and foot."

The passerby asks again, "I still don't understand, why are you crying?"

"I can't remember where I live."
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:15:25 AM »

pssst, look inside the push rod tubes
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 09:40:31 AM »

Did you check you back pockets, or in that general area??? ;)

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 10:26:09 AM »

Sorry, I can't vote on the poll...I don't like working on engines any more - I lose parts, break things, end up with extra pieces and it turns out to be a little frustrating at times. I would rather have a qualified, reputable mechanic work on my engines while I go out to the range and shoot something and watch it explode or ride a different bike while the work is being done. I congratulate you on performing your own engine work, it takes a person with more patience than me to so I choose X - none of the above on the poll. Good luck keeping motivated to finish the job!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »

Don -just re-wired the LED light bar for the back of the tour pack permanently on Sunday since a wire came loose from my temporary wiring install.  Originally used those wire squeeze clampons so I would not have to cut any wires.  Only about a year or so ago or so - temporarily:nixweiss: A wire came loose & shorted out my running lights Saturday.  In the middle of a weekend overnight with a night ride for dinner.  Glad some buds were along to cover my dumb azz. Forgot my wiring was temporary. 

When I lose something, I look in the same places over & over.  Then look someplace I haven't & there it is. 

Disclaimer: In truth, my wife tells me where it is or where to look.  Would still be looking for stuff from 22 years ago if she were not around to remind me where I hid stuff from myself.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:06:13 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 12:23:30 PM »

Latest update:

Still no pushrods.

(farts)

Looked in every drawer in the toolbox.  Looked under and behind the workbench.  Looked in Parker's toy box (you never know).  Looked in all the empty boxes parts came in.  Looked inside the trailer.  Looked in the storage cabinets.  Looked... well... everwhere.

Scott, I know what you mean man.  I used to be the same way.  No detail seemed to escape attention.  No I need glasses and sometimes lose chit. 

All I know is that somewhere there is a ziplock baggy (baggie, sic?; crap, can't spell either) with four pushrods.  All wiped down and individually labeled frt-exh, frt-int, rr-int, rr-exh.  Somewhere.

Until such a time as they choose to make themselves known, however, I am from this day forward claiming Bob's idea as the reason they are gone.  I saw Zippers printed on the tubes.  They would have been the last such part remaining in the engine.  And the Buttonfly Resurrection demanded I throw them away.  So I fed them to Beavers then threw away the Beaver poop.  Just to be thorough.

Of course the only thing I can get local to have in hand for this weekend are the Harley SE adjustables.  That new 08 part number Harley adjustable set is "for release in February" but no dealer I called has the number in their system yet.  May just bite the bullet an overnight a set of Feulings from somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 19 queries.