Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome Wheel Pitting  (Read 2382 times)

dp

• Full CVO Member
Chrome Wheel Pitting
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »

Noticed some pitting on the front chrome wheel.  Anyone else had this problem? Suggetions?
2013 CVO Roadglide

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Chrome Wheel Pitting
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »

Noticed some pitting on the front chrome wheel.  Anyone else had this problem? Suggetions?

THe only thing you can do is take it to the dealer and hope HD will give you a new one. :)

:indian_chief:

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »

Had it on mine and the mirrors too. Dealer is replacing both front & rear wheels and mirrors under warranty. Went with Covington Custom wheels. 21" front 18" rear. Check with your dealer.

dp

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:31:37 PM »

Thanks guys. My dealer has been pretty good to me over the years and hopes he keeps on doing so. My son has a 2007 SERK also and his wheels are perfect. Luck of the draw I guess.
2013 CVO Roadglide

MikeD

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:58:27 AM »

My Dad's is pitting too, only her purchased the roadwinders for his Road Glide two or three years ago.  HD wont warranty them out now.   He's stuck, so he decided to just chrome plate the stock wheels for now and try to unload the road winders later.

MikeD

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 06:59:25 AM »

Rooster,
post a pic of yours with the wheels, I went with Renegades on mine, 21" on the front too.

KozyK

• Razor Red, Gold Leaf Flames

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:02:08 PM »

have some pitting on my 07 SERK dealer is replacing with new wheel.
did you do your passsing light installation?
Post a front view if you have one please. does your original smoked windshield fit with them?
RIDE 2 work, work 2 RIDE

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 09:42:05 AM »

Are the roads you rode treated with calcium? Having seen the MOCO chrome processing in York it seems there must be something else going on-maybe a bad batch of chrome or an incorrect temperature-process?

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 10:49:49 PM »

seems like almost every one i know has had their 04 SEEG front wheel pit.   i had mine replaced last year and i'm taking better care this time and it seems to be working.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 01:45:24 PM by cvostu »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »

seems like almost every one i know has had their 04 SEEG front whell pit.   i had mine replaces last year and i'm taking better care this time and it seems to be working.

Mine have never pitted and I don't know of any of the other Nor Cal crew on 04 and 05 SEEGs (there are a lot of us) that pitted.  However, most of us had chrome peeling and have had wheels, mirrors, floorboards replaced because of peeling chrome in that second and third year.  It was mostly 04s. 

The replacement wheels (and other parts) seem to be fine.  My bike has 41,000 miles and the wheels are fine.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 09:21:58 PM »

Mine have never pitted and I don't know of any of the other Nor Cal crew on 04 and 05 SEEGs (there are a lot of us) that pitted.  However, most of us had chrome peeling and have had wheels, mirrors, floorboards replaced because of peeling chrome in that second and third year.  It was mostly 04s. 

The replacement wheels (and other parts) seem to be fine.  My bike has 41,000 miles and the wheels are fine.
Ditto to that, JC........my wheels have been good and now w/ 55K miles. :2vrolijk_21:  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 11:54:36 AM »

In my opinion of course...you will find that the stock metallic brake pads will coat all your wheels and exhaust in a fine dust.  Once moisture also finds its way there (high humidity, usually in a garage), it will only be a matter of time before it pits. That is also called rust!

The only prevention for this is to stop it before it starts. If your bike is new and you're certain you have no pitting, be sure and wipe it off after every use. Never let it sit in the garage for long perids of time without wiping off all the chrome.

Think back to a day before winter that you may have road your bike for a short period of time then put it in the garage and forgat about it for a month or so...That would be a good time for rusting to occur.

I have had this on several cars as well...My last was my F150, it's White and has little rust specs all over it, the dealer said it was rail dust. However, I did some checking and my truck was never on a train. Not to mention it didn't have it when I bought it.

I went to Ceramic brake pads, it all but eliminates the metal dust, big improvement.

IF you had no pitting when you bought your bike, then I would think it's the pads and rust.

IMHO of course!
Unapologetically American!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »

sounds logical to me.  I've got very minor pitting on the rear rim and none on the front.  I can get to the front to keep it clean but the rear is near impossible without a stand and removal of the bags.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.