Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: How Much Is Fair?  (Read 3958 times)

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
How Much Is Fair?
« on: November 29, 2008, 01:18:54 PM »

Got a call from service department this morning to tell me they had put a chip in my paint on the tank of my 97 FLSTS and that the tanks are no longer available, could I come by and take a look. I did and it is a small chip that they had touched up but still very noticable. They said they were going to do some more with the spot. Then mentioned they would discount the work order 10%, now keep in mind I have not seen a ticket so I sure they will pad it 25% then take 10% off. What do you think is fair? I'm torn because at least they came forward, this happened to me before and the service touched it up and never told. When I found it long after I could not prove they did it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: How Much Is Fair?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »

Fair would be taking it to a painter of your choice having it repaired and they pay the bill. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »

Fair would be taking it to a painter of your choice having it repaired and they pay the bill. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Nothing more, nothing less!
Good call Gary!
That is the only answer!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »

Discounting the service order might be a courtesy extended for the extra hassle and negligence.  Correcting the problem is having the tank fixed.  Period.

MJ, if you put up a warehouse building and tell the client that in finishing it up you broke one of the toilets how loud will he laugh at you if you tell him you'd like to give him $50 for the hassle and put the toilet back together with duct tape?  Tell them to fix the damn tank.

The sad thing here you shouldn't have to be telling them to fix it.  They should have made arrangements to have corrected for their mistake before they told you about it.  So that in telling you of the problem they could also inform you of the solution.

Wildrat

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 01:57:18 PM »

If you chipped their paint on their tank what do you think they would want from you? Would they settle for a 10% discount, heck you can get 10-15% at M&M. I think they need to paint the tank. Yet another reason I don't like others working on my bikes.
Good Luck Man!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:22:38 PM by Wildrat »

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »

I think they should discount the work order...AND have it repainted at their expense.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »

Did you point out to them that your bike is a museum piece?  A 10% discount offer is the cheap and easy way for them to try and get out of a problem of their creation.  I agree with them having the problem fixed.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:09:17 PM »

FIREdOOd got it right first
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »

Agree with the majority. It wasn't chipped when it came in. It shouldn't look like it's ever been chipped coming out. Painter of your choosing.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 04:31:40 PM »

Why do I open threads like this. My blood pressure just spiked 30 points.

Gary got it right, but in polite terms. My thoughts are not printable.

If anything in recent memory illustrates what is happening with H-D's dealers, this story does in spades.

I'm sitting here with smoke coming out of my ears just thinking about this and it's not even my motorcycle.

If it were, I'd be in cuffs in the back of a cruiser and three or four of the dealership's personnel would be in an ambulance.

B B

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 05:11:59 PM »

Why do I open threads like this. My blood pressure just spiked 30 points.

Gary got it right, but in polite terms. My thoughts are not printable.

If anything in recent memory illustrates what is happening with H-D's dealers, this story does in spades.

I'm sitting here with smoke coming out of my ears just thinking about this and it's not even my motorcycle.

If it were, I'd be in cuffs in the back of a cruiser and three or four of the dealership's personnel would be in an ambulance.

B B

Exhale Brian , no smoke out of the ears.Inner ear cancer is bad chit. I say new bike nothing less a new 09 bike that will show them those Basta--ds.
seriously new paint is fair, accidents happen but it should be fixed right.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 05:19:43 PM »

Get them to fix it right... then find someone else to work on your bike down the road... make sure all your friends know what they're up to as well!!!

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

What he said and no less!!!!!!!!! 

What a great birthday present.  >:(  On second thought, they need to fix the tank and
your bill at the shop should be $0.00 dollars

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 05:45:10 PM by Banana man »

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »

Yep, I know you are all right, I must have been in prozac land again when I went by there. Not that I've come to back to the real world, I'll go in there in the morning and ask them what they'd accept if I did this to one of their SE's on the floor. Then I'll go postal on them because I really like the other dealer in this area better anyway.
Thanks for responses and bringing me back to my right mind. :2vrolijk_21:

Wildrat

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 03:50:44 PM »

I think you are making the right decision except for the postal part. I would suggest before going to the dealer to go by a paint shop that paint bikes and get an estimate on the repair. I know how you felt when you went in to the shop and looked at the damage. You were in shock, and if like me trying to stay calm as not to cause damage to 3-4 HD employee's. Handle it professionally. They have insurance for this kind of stuff. They may be trying to hide the issue from the GM, as a matter of fact when you go in don't even talk to the service dept., go straight to the GM and tell him what happened and what they offered to smooth things over. There is probably more going on here than meets the eye. For instance, this is just hypothetical, but it may be the tech on your bike has had other probs and one more and he is gone, or he and the service manager are buddies and he is protecting him. In any case though just stay calm and don't settle for any thing less than whats fair and just. You came in with no probs, you should leave without any probs.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »

Tell them to pay renting a Harley during your next vacation in Costa Rica  :huepfenjump3:

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 08:41:55 PM »

Yep, I know you are all right, I must have been in prozac land again when I went by there. Not that I've come to back to the real world, I'll go in there in the morning and ask them what they'd accept if I did this to one of their SE's on the floor. Then I'll go postal on them because I really like the other dealer in this area better anyway.
Thanks for responses and bringing me back to my right mind. :2vrolijk_21:

Well Mark, if it was me, and knowing my tendency to offer immediate response, I'd likely be in the Shelby County Jail. 

Seriously, totally unacceptable, and even if they do fix it, you'll still know it was done.........and it will never be the same.  I'd expect to have the machine restored plus concessions of some form.........and if I didn't get that, there's always newspapers and TV stations looking for some really stinky, smelly, poop to smear all over the place about sub-par establishments.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »

****************UPDATE***************

Left 2 messages for the service manager at BUMPUS today; both times I was told he was in a meeting. He never returned the calls!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 08:57:04 PM »

****************UPDATE***************

Left 2 messages for the service manager at BUMPUS today; both times I was told he was in a meeting. He never returned the calls!

He probably read this thread...  :huepfenlol2:

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 09:02:43 PM »

He probably read this thread...  :huepfenlol2:

I really doubt he can read! JR had the same problem with this SM and finally had to call the owner to get a return call. I'll do the same if I don't hear back in the morning.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11:45 PM »

I really doubt he can read! JR had the same problem with this SM and finally had to call the owner to get a return call. I'll do the same if I don't hear back in the morning.

A dozen or so of us could call and suggest he take time out of his day to speak with you ::) .

Wildrat

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »

or you could read my last post and just take him out of the equation totally, and when you do see him again after doing what I said. He will be very nice and courteous too you, until you turn your back and are out of hearing distance.
We should start planting bugs in the service areas, recording and editing and sending to HD anonymously.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »

Finally returned the call and said since the tank is out of production, he'd have his best paint guy repair the chip, call me to come take a look and approve or disapprove and take it from there. I asked if I could tell it had been chipped, I would not approve and what would they do then. He said try to find one and if not able to locate, send out to a painter. So my BP is back down to a reasonable level and I'll just wait for the inspection call.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »

Finally returned the call and said since the tank is out of production, he'd have his best paint guy repair the chip, call me to come take a look and approve or disapprove and take it from there. I asked if I could tell it had been chipped, I would not approve and what would they do then. He said try to find one and if not able to locate, send out to a painter. So my BP is back down to a reasonable level and I'll just wait for the inspection call.

Good to hear they are working with you on it.

We know there are painters that can repair/repaint it to your satisfaction.  Hope you are able to remain in a low bp state through the final resolution. :2vrolijk_21:  I wonder if B B's has come down yet though :nixweiss:

Markum

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTP
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:02 PM »

Ask them to point out what tree they think you fell out of and then politely tell them to do the right thing and fix it with a new paint job.  :)
With the right tools, anything is possible.

Wildrat

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 06:32:12 PM »

Glad to hear your being taken care of so far. I don't think their best paint guy, didn't know HD had best paint guys at dealerships, if at all. I hope if they manage to do something with the chip that it doesn't fall off after a couple of weeks. I can see it now, they fix the chipped paint spot but now there is over spray every where. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:15:31 PM by Wildrat »

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

Got a call from service department this morning to tell me they had put a chip in my paint on the tank of my 97 FLSTS and that the tanks are no longer available, could I come by and take a look. I did and it is a small chip that they had touched up but still very noticable. They said they were going to do some more with the spot. Then mentioned they would discount the work order 10%, now keep in mind I have not seen a ticket so I sure they will pad it 25% then take 10% off. What do you think is fair? I'm torn because at least they came forward, this happened to me before and the service touched it up and never told. When I found it long after I could not prove they did it.

Mark, sorry to hear about this. Did Brian chip the tank? With the business you have given them, you should get a 10% discount every time! Didn't you have a place on the fender that was touched up when you bought the bike? If so, I would tell them by having it fixed too will help compensate the aggravation you have to endure for their mistake! Good luck buddy! God Bless!

:bananarock:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 07:00:51 PM »

Let's hang em', like the scurvy dogs they are. Come on, are ya with me, let's go.
Or a new paint job would be good too. I know, lets go for both, REGULATORS, MOUNT UP!!!
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »

Good to hear they are working with you on it.

We know there are painters that can repair/repaint it to your satisfaction.  Hope you are able to remain in a low bp state through the final resolution. :2vrolijk_21:  I wonder if B B's has come down yet though :nixweiss:

Yeah Rog, I'm back to normal, but imagine if it'd been Elvis they chipped  :vrolijk27: :furious2: :vrolijk27: :furious2: :vrolijk27: :furious2:

B B

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »

Mark,

Please keep us informed...Sorry for your grief

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 09:16:20 PM »

got to agree with wildrat on this one.
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, 07:00:55 AM »

So this was at Bumpus, which one, I have connections.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2008, 09:04:33 AM »

It would be the Collierville store, MJZ and I started going back to Collierville when mechanic, Brian Rose came back to Bumpus. The store is just minutes from our homes. That's why I asked MJZ how it happened? Wondering if it was the mechanic or someone else.

I also had a bad experience on my first visit back to Bumpus in Collierville. I posted in another thread. They resolved everything and we are both happy for now. But now what has happened to Mark, I have lost confidence in bringing my bike back there. :nixweiss:

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »

A friend of mine made a statement that would be great for a tee shirt "THE ONLY GOOD HARLEY DEALERSHIP IS THE ONE YOU HAVEN'T VISITED YET!

Wildrat

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »

That's for sure! Another thing I see down here is when you see a dealership at one of the shows and you ask them a question or they are just talking they will LIE to you to get you to their store and then you find out it's the same as the rest of them. You can go in any dealership on any given day with the same question, problem, etc. and get different answers and suggested fixes. It's disheartening that a company that has been around for 105 years or more doesn't have producing these bikes down to a precise art form and then to make it even better they gotta rape ya when you have to go to a dealer and purchase something and then they screw your bike and don't want to pay for it. I wonder what the latest is with the tank?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »

So does MJZ.

He knows more dead presidents than anyone I know.   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2008, 08:40:33 PM »

So does MJZ.

He knows more dead presidents than anyone I know.   :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

B B

hehe....it's good to have friends!!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »

final update, I picked up the bike this afternoon and as hard as I looked, I could not find the touch up. I finally gave up and asked where the heck it was, after they showed me the spot I still could not find it. So I am pleased, the touch up was perfect and all ends well. :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 11:02:32 PM »

final update, I picked up the bike this afternoon and as hard as I looked, I could not find the touch up. I finally gave up and asked where the heck it was, after they showed me the spot I still could not find it. So I am pleased, the touch up was perfect and all ends well. :2vrolijk_21:

Great news, Mark.  Good to hear they made it right and that you are pleased with the result.   :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2008, 11:13:13 PM »

Mark,
That's great to hear, glad it worked out and you are satisfied. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »

Nice to hear the dealer finally did the right thing and that you are happy with the result!

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2008, 09:20:28 AM »

Great news Mark! :2vrolijk_21: Did they ever tell you who did it or how it happened? :nixweiss: I'm so glad they got it right. Bless ya buddy! :bananarock:

Cardboard Joe

• I'm special, my mom said so....
  • I fix the Rice to afford my CVO

• CVO1: 2001 SERG
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2008, 09:17:13 PM »

This has happened to me..after 30+ years in the repair end of things I have to admit that I've scratched paint before. I immediately remove the scratched part and take it to my service manager, and its sent to the painter pronto! Then I get to call the customer and explain what happened, apologize and tell him that the part will be installed immediately on its return.  Yes, it sux, but accidents happen, and trying to hide them makes it worse.
It'll work, or it won't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.282 seconds with 21 queries.