Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: $1500 Hop-Up for Twin Cams"  (Read 2922 times)

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
$1500 Hop-Up for Twin Cams"
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:07:20 PM »

If any of you are subscribers to American Iron magazine, you've probably seen this month's TECH article called "$1500 Hop-Up for Twin Cams". The magazine sent a 2009 SERG to an Indy shop to add Rinehart slip-ons, a SERT and then tuned it on a dyno. Their description of the exhaust and air cleaner on a stock CVO bike doesn't match what I've heard so I wrote this letter to the editor. If he replies, I'll post it here.

Hi Chris,
I'm a fairly new subscriber to American Iron and have enjoyed reading each issue but your TECH article in the March issue called "$1500 Hop-Up for Twin Cams" has me a little confused. I recently purchased a 2009 CVO Ultra Classic and from what I've learned, these bikes don't come with a high flow exhaust sytem or the SE Stage II air cleaner. The exhaust design on the new CVO's has a 7" catalytic converter pressed into the header just ahead of the "crossover" pipe. Instead of being high flow, I'd call that restricted. The 2008 CVO's had the catalytic converters installed in the tailpipes so they were easily removed by installing aftermarket pipes. Because of this, I think the emission "police" have forced Harley to place the converter where it wouldn't be easily removed in the 2009 models. It seems they're keeping this a secret too because your friend, Rosa's Cycle or the mechanic at my dealership didn't realize this.

As for the air cleaner, I assumed my new Screamin' Eagle bike would have the SE air cleaner kit installed but I've been told that I need to buy one.

Please clear up my confusion...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:49:33 PM by MikeH »

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Confused...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »

Interesting, I wonder if they removed catalytic converter and didn't make comment on it.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: Confused...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »

Good topic / questions Mike, you might want to change the title to something like "American Iron $1500 hop up". I think more people would read that, of course alot of us are confused so maybe that works too. Either way I look forward to their reply. ;D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:28:19 PM by bribe36 »

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
Re: $1500 Hop-Up for Twin Cams"
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »

Good topic / questions Mike, you might want to change the title to something like "American Iron $1500 hop up". I think more people would read that, of course alot of us are confused so maybe that works too. Either way I look forward to their reply. ;D

Good idea, it's done...

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »

I was thinking that the SERG (and only the SERG) came with the SE high flow air cleaner.  Don't know about the cats.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:21:24 PM »

I was thinking that the SERG (and only the SERG) came with the SE high flow air cleaner.  Don't know about the cats.

Jerry,
All the CVOs this year, except the SEUC of course, come with a high flow air cleaner.  I do know that the SERG and SEUC have cats installed, but not sure about the SE fat bob or SE springer.  :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:30:49 PM »

I  browsed thru the article today. The bike in question is definitely an 09 SERG. They make no reference to a cat in the pipe. Can't imagine they could miss something so obvious.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:17:35 AM »

Maybe they did their "hop up" back when there was a shortage of core bits.  When they make a mistake like this, I really wonder if they are big enough to admit their mistake.

JasonDeezy

• Ride it 'til the wheels fall off...
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Orange you glad it's a CVO?...

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:24:41 AM »

Yeah, maybe they'll print the letter in the magazine and apologize for the oversight with a correction.

When I first started reading that article I thought that they were gonna do something new. Boy was I disappointed!

Just remember, If it has to do with CVO, you ALWAYS hear it here first...
King Tour Pack
Roland Sands Design Diesel Wheels 18"/21"
Klock Werks 21" Slicer Fender
Klock Werks 8" FLARE Black Windshield
Hawg Wired DCS/SX System
Cary Faas Racing (CFR) Slipons
Fullsac X-Pipe B
8" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars & Power Mirrors
TTS Mastertune
Dakota Digital Gauges MCL-3006-R
Carl Brouhard Floorboards (Front & Rear)
   Brake Arm, Brake Pedal
   Heel & Toes Shifter (w/pegs), Shift Arm & Linkage
Kuryakyn License Plate Frame (#9182)
Arlen Ness Deep Cut Grips
Wheeldock EZ-Up Centerstand

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:15:09 AM »

I read this article in American Iron also. 
It was a RG vs our USE's so it does have the RG air cleaner.
I was also confused because in the end all they added was slip-ons and a race tuner.  The reaulting HP and TQ numbers seem on the high side if they did not remove the cat.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:16 AM »

I read this article in American Iron also. 
It was a RG vs our USE's so it does have the RG air cleaner.
I was also confused because in the end all they added was slip-ons and a race tuner.  The reaulting HP and TQ numbers seem on the high side if they did not remove the cat.

Sounds like a "happy dyno". There are many tricks that can be done on a dyno to inflate numbers if that result is desired.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »

Here's my $.02 on this.  I was having the 1000 mile service done on my 09 CUSE this weekend, and the mechanic there told me the following.  I was talking to him about eventual mods for my bike.  First, the cats of the 09 CUSE are located in the header pipes near the heads.  This was done to appease the EPA gods in DC because it was too easy to drill out the cats in previous years.  And thus, this was done to "discourage" us.  In short, this means figuring out a way to drill out the cats from the headers or buy new headers.  I was curious about the price and the one's through my dealership are $498.  I haven't done any research beyond that but I'm sure the kind folks on here can point to all sorts of leads.  Also, I was told that the aircleaner assembly and backplate on the 09 CUSE was equivalent to the SE Stage 1 except it still uses the stock HD paper filter.  The air cleaner cover does have more and bigger holes in it compared to the cover on a nonCVO UC, and thus, seems to be letting more air in.  However, I'm not sure I buy that completely.  Does anyone on here know that for sure? 

As far as eventual mods, here's my plan which is based mostly on what I've learned here and talking to folks around here as well.  When I have the cash saved up (currently have $900 toward my goal of $1500), I'm going to have a race tuner installed, and replace the current backplate with the K&N backplate and high flow filter put on (the HD cover will still fit).  For exhaust, I'm going to break down and buy the new header pipes and then have the Fullsacs 1.75 inch cores installed in my pipes.  In that way, there is not the "not street legal" stamp on them.  The past few summers I was doing a lot of riding in Southern Illinois, Indiana and Ohio (my oldest was going to school at Indiana U. at the time) on my 01 UC.  I was pulled over 4 times usually in a small town.  Each and every time the officers would look down at my exhaust and point to the fact that it clearly stated on there that my pipes were not street legal.  I was given a warning ticket each time.  I've never had this happen down here where I live.  But I thinks it's a sign of the times

Take care -- Bikin' Bob
Why squabble? Just ride!

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 07:29:56 PM »

Bikin' Bob
I am with you on the mods, I have done the fulsacs 1.75, and the Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner, and the race tuner.
I did drill the cat but now after seeing the info here I am looking at replacement headers.  I figure in about three months you will be able to pick them up for free at almost any dealer.  I have already been told I can have some takeoffs from a 96" 2009 when they get some at my local dealer as long as I take it to them for the dyno tune.  Right now I loaded the base map for pipes and air cleaner on the SERT.
I have also considered the texas103 version of cutting, removing all cat and then welding back together.  If I did this I would then have it ceramic coated and it would still be cheaper than a new replacement.
Just my opinion but I really like the design of the Ness Big Sucker backplate better than the HD stage 1...my local HD recommended over the HD and I am glad they did.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »

Sounds like a "happy dyno". There are many tricks that can be done on a dyno to inflate numbers if that result is desired.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
;D ;D ;D

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 10:22:08 PM »

Guppytrash - sorry it took so long to get back to this.  I thought about putting on a big flow but I really like the stock cover.  Besides I think the biggest gains come from changing the exhaust.
Why squabble? Just ride!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.