Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Garage door opener problem  (Read 4156 times)

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Garage door opener problem
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:33:52 PM »

I just tried to program the garage door opener on my 07 CUSE and was not getting any indication of a reading by the receiver (led light). So after some searching on here for potential problems I have removed fairing and checked for obvious. Anyway I have done the "I want spots all the time" modification and have found that by returning to original the opener works. Does anyone know how to cure this to enable spots on high beam and the garage door opener functioning?
I'm not broke, just badly bent!

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
Re: Garage door opener problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:21:01 PM »

Just a thought here.  When you rewire or modify to having passing lamps on all the time are you losing your power source for the opener?  Sounds as though that might be the problem.  Dig a little deeper for the power source and I'll bet you'll solve the problem.

I'm in Delta Junction and we're talking about putting a ride together to run down to Skagway later on this summer.  Would you or others be interested?  Probably looking at a six day trip. 
Brett in AK

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:28:09 PM »

I wished it was that easy but it seems to be the opposite. The power interuption to the fog lights when you go from low beam to high beam seems to activate the transmitter. Anyways, looking for suggestions.

Trip to Skagway sounds good as long it is not before the 4th of July. Have kings to catch and fish wheel in Chitna to contend to. Let me know, Kelly

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »

You need to get your spot power from your unused fender tip light wire.  It's tied into the ehadlight harness as a dead end.  Everything works that way.  I did mine in 07 when I got mine, so I may not be remembering the exact location of the power wire.  You don't have to get into the high/low side of things at all.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »

That is where i am getting power, blue fender tip lighting wire. The opener will not work if I am spliced to the yellow fog lamp wire either in line or only to the dash side of the yellow. I even tried taking power from the lighter knowing it should not matter and I was right. HELP!!!

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »

Which side of the triple tree are you on?  Meaning- standing looking at the front of the bike, is the splice on the left or right?  I'm thinking the 06 was on the left, but the 07 was on the right.  I made a jumper wire to go from the fender tip wire to the input on the deustch connector for the driving lights.  Simply removed the original feed and inserted the new feed.  Taped the original out of the way, so I can go back to OEM and any time with minimal work.  Depending on what ends up happening for the weekend, I maybe able to get into mine to see exactly where I did my work.  I've got the tighten the steering bearings anyway, just been putting it off.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »

Sounds like the same thing I have done. The yellow wire and connector are on the left side if you are sitting on the scoot or right if looking from front to rear. Same here I ran a jumper from the blue wire and removed wire from deutch connector. I have tried it with blue just to the removed yellow (dash side) and have also tried with an additional jumper from the blue/ yellow connection back into the deutch connector. The fog lights happily work and stay on either way. The opener will not work unless returned to original. I have put it back to original for the time being as this time of year in Alaska you want a functioning garage door opener. Roads just dried up this week!!! I would just use one of my other transmitters but they are the old Stanley kind, huge and klunky, and unable to upgrade to one of the small units. About ready to go and buy a couple of new garage door opener complete units just to get the cute little key sized transmitters, hah #*^+.

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »

Arcticdude,
I just reread your post and may see possible problem if you can confirm. Are you connected with jumper from blue wire to the dash side of the yellow wire or dash side of duetch connector? I don't think the fog lights will be on all the time if you are connected into the connector. I believe the power needs to be ran to dash side of yellow. Thanks for looking.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »

IIRC, I found the "front" portion of the connector was the feed, while the "back" just went to the switch and I do seem to recall it was a yellow wire, with maybe a red trace onit.  So I pulled the wire from the "front" and inserted my new power feed there.  The original feed was only hot when the low beams were on.

Does your hi beam work correctly when you're got your setup done for the fogs?  It certainly sounds like you're pulling the feed off the hi beam, thus killing it.  I agree, this time of year, you probably want the garage door to work more than you want the fog lights!  Where in the Great State are you?

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »

I'm going to recheck this thing this weekend as it looks like ok ridin weather till then and I get to watch my new grandaughter then, got to get them used to the garage noises early!! Sounds like we have done the same except you are into the front side of connector with your jumper from the blue wire. Certainly gave me something to look at, thanks.

I am located in Wasilla/ Palmer area about 40 miles north of Anchorage.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:40:39 AM »

Man, have you guys seen some growth in that area!!!  I was there in 94 and back again in 02.  The Palmer-Wasilla highway intersection was "in the middle of no where" in 94 and by 02 it was like being in the lower 48!!!  Fast food joints and banks on every corner and traffic backed up a couple of miles!!  I couldn't freakin believe it.

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

Yes, and in '89 we only had 1 flashing light all through Wasilla area. We now have 7 stop lights, 3 overpasses and a Vice President nominee!!! We have lived here in the valley since '79 so have seen quite a few changes, most for the good. What I don't like is the combat fishing now and shortened hunting seasons. The hunting and fishing are still both good but have to get up earlier and work at it a bit more.

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 11:04:53 AM »

I made my own garage door opener and hocked it up to activate when I press left turn signal.  works great and only cost me $20 for a set of male/female connector.  I can plug and unplug it in seconds without removing any parts of head light. just reach from behind the fork and take it out.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »

Yes, and in '89 we only had 1 flashing light all through Wasilla area. We now have 7 stop lights, 3 overpasses and a Vice President nominee!!! We have lived here in the valley since '79 so have seen quite a few changes, most for the good. What I don't like is the combat fishing now and shortened hunting seasons. The hunting and fishing are still both good but have to get up earlier and work at it a bit more.

I'll agree the combat fishing ain't my cup of tea, but man that salmon is so tasty!!  Sure beats the sh!t out of what we get down here!!!!  In Oklahoma they're typically serving Atlantic salmon, which might as well be flounder compared to Alaskan.  In 02, we were in Haines the opening day of crab season.  Waiting for the boat to get us, having dinner in a waterfront restaurant, listening to nothing but whacking mallets.  Still talk about the taste of those crabs to this day.  Puts everything we get down here to shame.  All we get are frozen crab legs.  I don't even waste the water cooking them.

ima29

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 06:01:34 PM »

You are probably familiar with the "Deadliest Catch" tv series. What we do is the "laziest catch". For our salmon meat haul we subsistence fish with a fish wheel. Ever see one? I agree with the crab. Nothing better than fresh. I'm not sure people know there are only 2 fisheries, 1 late spring in Southeast AK and the other more bountiful in the winter. A lot of the retail crab could be a year old or perhaps more.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.