Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Harley GPS working  (Read 6216 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Harley GPS working
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:27:26 PM »

I took my 09 USE4 to the dealer today.  They fixed the GPS by installing a new module.  All is good.  At the same time he installed the new Jiffy stand for the lean problem.  All is good.  No new scratches or problems resulting from the work.  All is really good!

If any of you are near Starved Rock HD in IL. I highly recommend "Craig" as one of the best HD tech's I have used.  He is very much on top of the newer technology items.  They do lack a dyno...well they have a dyno but it does not have a drag/brake so it is not fully usable for tuning.  Bummer...this is a guy I would be very confident in letting dyno tune my bike.

Anyway this is the dealer I bought the bike at and I am very happy with the service after the sale.

guppytrash

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
Re: Harley GPS working
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:28:35 PM »

Did you have to wait on a "backordered" module?  I've been waiting on one for about 5 weeks now.  Maybe they've shipped them all?
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »

I am not sure when the dealership ordered it as we have been talking about the fix since I bought the bike last summer.

jiml

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:55 PM »

just had the same problem with mine gps would initialize the dealer worked on it for 2 days them hd overnighted one the whole job took 4 days total with a few other problems fixed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »

I had mine in for the GPS for the 3rd time today.  This was the 2nd new module that they have gotten me.  The first one wouldn't go past a screen that said "Please see dealer".  This one acquires satellites quickly, but it won't go past the screen that says "please insert navigation CD".  It won't recognize that there is a disc in there.  A regular CD works fine for music, but the NAV CD does nothing.  You cannot get to any other NAV screens.  I tried reloading the radio software to see if that might work, but no luck there either.  I now have no GPS at all.  At least with the last one, I had something that at least worked occasionally.  They ordered me a 3rd new module now.  I told them this is the last chance.  If it doesn't work, I want them to take the module, compensate me for it, and I'll buy a Zumo.  This is freakin ridiculous.  I wasted an entire day at the dealer, as well as the shop wasting their time on this.  If they don't get it right with this next one, I don't see any other recourse than to get very demanding about a resolution.

First, has anyone had this latest problem...won't read the NAV CD?  Second, since I have no confidence that they are going to get it correct, is there someone at Harley that I should contact or should I be telling the dealer how I want this resolved and let them make the call to try to get a resolution?

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:43 PM »

My dealer told me 6 weeks ago the module was on "back order".  It has yet to come in.  Everytime I ask, they tell me no news. Now that I see others are getting modules I'm thinking some BS is going on.  The dealer told me they get their modules from Radio Sound, Inc. so I wrote an email to them asking what was up.  I got a reply saying they don't service the HK radios, that United Radio Service handles them exclusively.  I contacted URS via their website, and have yet to receive a reply. 
I don't know what to do at this point.
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »

It's United Radio and you aren't missing anything by not getting yours, since they can't seem to make one that works. It's a big time waste going back and forth and ending up with a non-working unit over and over.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »

My dealer told me 6 weeks ago the module was on "back order".  It has yet to come in.  Everytime I ask, they tell me no news. Now that I see others are getting modules I'm thinking some BS is going on.  The dealer told me they get their modules from Radio Sound, Inc. so I wrote an email to them asking what was up.  I got a reply saying they don't service the HK radios, that United Radio Service handles them exclusively.  I contacted URS via their website, and have yet to receive a reply. 
I don't know what to do at this point.

Call this number...(414) 343-4056 for HD customer service.  I have had very good luck, take your time to explain your problems. 
First I made sure they knew how much I liked the CVO. 
Then expressed how disappointing it is to have a Custom Vehicle that they didn't check the full working operation of the GPS before letting it out of the factory. 
In my experience it is important to let them know you like the product and that you have just a few needs to make it better.  They know they can start with a happy customer and make you even happier. 
If you are wired to the pizzd off position when you call... they may feel that there is not anything they could do to make you a satisfied customer. 
Keep in mind the person on the other end of the phone is not dealer or part that let you down... but they are powerful enough to make sure it gets fixed.

You might be surprised how quickly parts show up at your dealer...it might even give your dealer a different attitude when you show up.
Don't ask me how I know this.  It is all in the way YOU handle it!
fourstar you seem to be pretty patient and I am sure you will have good results.
Best of Luck
gt     
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:06:26 AM by guppytrash »

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »

Thanks for the info gt!  I really do like my CVO but the nav system not working (even though it isn't much of a nav system to start with) and what appears to be a lack of interest by HD in general does irritate me.  I'll make that call...
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »

Call this number...(414) 343-4056 for HD customer service.  I have had very good luck, take your time to explain your problems. 
First I made sure they knew how much I liked the CVO. 
Then expressed how disappointing it is to have a Custom Vehicle that they didn't check the full working operation of the GPS before letting it out of the factory. 
In my experience it is important to let them know you like the product and that you have just a few needs to make it better.  They know they can start with a happy customer and make you even happier. 
If you are wired to the pizzd off position when you call... they may feel that there is not anything they could do to make you a satisfied customer. 
Keep in mind the person on the other end of the phone is not dealer or part that let you down... but they are powerful enough to make sure it gets fixed.

You might be surprised how quickly parts show up at your dealer...it might even give your dealer a different attitude when you show up.
Don't ask me how I know this.  It is all in the way YOU handle it!
fourstar you seem to be pretty patient and I am sure you will have good results.
Best of Luck
gt     

Thanks.  I just called that number and hopefully he will follow through as he told me he would to get this resolved. The guy I spoke with was quite pleasant and seemed to express a genuine concern.  Like Fourstar said, I really like my CVO also, and if they could just get this one bug worked out for me, I think I would be a happy camper.

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »

It's United Radio and you aren't missing anything by not getting yours, since they can't seem to make one that works. It's a big time waste going back and forth and ending up with a non-working unit over and over.

Labastarsmda, we talked before in another thread about this. Picked My bike up from getting my GPS looked at yesterday. I used a different dealer this time, since the last dealer they pulled it in a metal building to check it, even though I told them it won't work at all inside. Anyway, I'll get to the point, there is now a new TSB (technical service bulletin) dated 4/14/09 to replace the whole radio unit. Thought I would let you know, check with your dealer.

Rob

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 11:30:44 AM »

Labastarsmda, we talked before in another thread about this. Picked My bike up from getting my GPS looked at yesterday. I used a different dealer this time, since the last dealer they pulled it in a metal building to check it, even though I told them it won't work at all inside. Anyway, I'll get to the point, there is now a new TSB (technical service bulletin) dated 4/14/09 to replace the whole radio unit. Thought I would let you know, check with your dealer.

Rob
Thanks Rob.  I'll call the dealer right now.

Dave

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 11:35:47 AM »

Rob

I just spoke to the service manager and he said he checked that out yesterday and that mine did not fall within the dates that the bulletin covered.  He told me that he should have a new module for me again on Monday.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Berk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin’ Eagle® Ultra Classic® Electra Glide®, Stardust Silver and Twilight Blue
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »

Can anyone tell me if this gps has voice commands? To tell you the truth I havent tried mine out other than loading the CD

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 11:49:58 AM »

I just spoke to the service manager and he said he checked that out yesterday and that mine did not fall within the dates that the bulletin covered.  He told me that he should have a new module for me again on Monday.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck Dave! Maybe when you get it fixed you can use to find the Berkshires, and come up for a ride.

--Rob

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »

Good luck Dave! Maybe when you get it fixed you can use to find the Berkshires, and come up for a ride.

--Rob

That's in MA if I remember correctly.  I've got a good friend in Weston, CT that I've been trying to find a chance to get out to visit.  You probably aren't a real far shot from there (probably within 150 miles anyway).  I wouldn't mind taking a ride up that way in the warmer months.  You are probably in the 500 mile range from here, so it's easily a one day ride.  If I find that sometime fits to ride in that direction this summer, I'll let you know.  I haven't been in your area for many years, and never on a bike.

Dave

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 10:55:08 AM »

Interesting turn...
I emailed United Radio Service in New York to ask them (nicely) WTF was up.  Their customer service representative asked me for my VIN number and responded that they did not have an open case on my bike.  They said they'd had one a while back but it was closed.  They asked me to have someone from the dealer contact them.  I called the service writer, who called URS, and lo and behold my nav module will be in on Tuesday. 

Needless to say, I am a just little miffed at the service writer at my dealer who would not make the extra effort to follow-up on his own.  It just reinforces the notion that if you want anything done right, you have to do it yourself.  On the flip-side, customer service from URS was outstanding (once I found the right place.)  They replied immediately and handled the problem quickly and courteously, even though I was not their direct customer.  Unfortunately, they usually only work with dealers, so we're back to square 1. 

-Sammy Hagar

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 01:14:10 PM »

Can anyone tell me if this gps has voice commands? To tell you the truth I havent tried mine out other than loading the CD
If you mean by "voice commands" that it will tell you where to go. Yes, it has that.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Berk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin’ Eagle® Ultra Classic® Electra Glide®, Stardust Silver and Twilight Blue
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »

Yes Louis that is exactly what I mean, I'll punch in a destination tommorow and try it out. I have a portable Magelon GPS for my car and it works quite well and very easy to use the one on the bike seems complicated Thank you for the reply.

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

That's in MA if I remember correctly.  I've got a good friend in Weston, CT that I've been trying to find a chance to get out to visit.  You probably aren't a real far shot from there (probably within 150 miles anyway).  I wouldn't mind taking a ride up that way in the warmer months.  You are probably in the 500 mile range from here, so it's easily a one day ride.  If I find that sometime fits to ride in that direction this summer, I'll let you know.  I haven't been in your area for many years, and never on a bike.

Dave

Dave how far are from York Pa are you? I'd check My G.P.S. but, we all know how that would end. I would like to check out the CVO plant. Maybe I should head your way this season, any good rides with your HOG chapter in that area?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »

Dave how far are from York Pa are you? I'd check My G.P.S. but, we all know how that would end. I would like to check out the CVO plant. Maybe I should head your way this season, any good rides with your HOG chapter in that area?

I'm about 200 miles from the York plant.  Our HOG chapter is taking a ride to Maggie Valley, NC leaving 5/16/09 and returning 5/19/09.  We're planning on riding the Tail of the Dragon, Deals Gap, World of Wheels Museum, etc.  I know we have dinner planned at someplace in GA for one of the days.  That should be a great ride.  It's an open event, so anyone can go along.  In fact, I've already got someone from the forum coming along for that ride.  I won't have our full ride calender until next month, but since I was on the planning committee, I have a good idea of what I'll be seeing.  Most of the rides planned are day trips, and only a few overnighters that looked somewhat interesting, but I can't remember which ones were finally decided upon.  The only ride I'm leading thus far is a day trip of around 300 miles for the day.

The other HOG chapter I'm in has a trip to Nashville, IN planned (not Tennessee, it's Nashville, Indiana) for June 18th thru June 21st, but I think that chapter may only allow chapter members on their rides.  I'm not really sure on that one.  I'd be pretty disappointed if they wouldn't let someone ride that wanted to ride.  I think their big thing on that ride is that they could only get 125 rooms blocked off at the hotel they are staying at.  It's either the biggest or 2nd biggest chapter in the country, so they have unusually large groups for their rides.  They don't have any other rides scheduled that caught my interest at all though.

Actually, if the weather looks okay, I'm going back to York on the 29th of this month for the CVO tour that my dealer has arranged.  Anyway, if you have some dates planned for taking off, let me know.  I seem to always be able to find rides going somewhere.  I'm going to be trying to go to Eureka Springs, AR the week before riding to Maggie Valley, and having just a day or two in between to repack the bike.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »

My new GPS module arrived and I dropped my bike off at the shop today.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they call me tomorrow and tell me that everything is working properly.  They gave me a 2005 white Ultra as a loaner bike to ride home.  What an absolute piece of crap.  It's only got 23,000 miles on it, but it runs terrible.  It's impossible to shift from 1st to 2nd without kicking it down real hard, and it will not for any reason go the first time.  It goes from 1st to neutral, and then to 2nd...and sometimes it takes 6 or 7 tries to get it that far.  This was the worst bike they could have possibly given me right now with my left knee killing me and I was trying to stay off the bike for a few days.  Honestly, if this was what I had to ride on a regular basis, I would give up riding.  This thing is bone stock and apparently the crap has been beat out of it.  The only thing I like about this bike is the seat.  Very comfortable seat.  I want my SE back.

Anyway, I'll report in on the results of the newest GPS module.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 11:15:46 PM »

I took mine in today too.  Waited for an an hour and a half while they took it apart, did something out in the driveway, and then pushed it back into the shop.  Then they put it back together and told me URS had apparently sent the wrong part, and that the right part would be there tomorrow.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  It's a damn good thing I don't have anything better to do than sit around the Harley dealer all day...
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 07:39:50 PM »

Got my bike back today, and the GPS appears to be working well now.  It acquires satellites immediately, comes up with the proper directions the first time, and recalculates the route almost immediately if I veer off the chosen path.  Of course, now my garage door opener doesn't work since they fixed the GPS.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »

...  Of course, now my garage door opener doesn't work since they fixed the GPS.

I see the problem!  Your expectations are just too high!!
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 10:12:49 PM »

I see the problem!  Your expectations are just too high!!

I just can't seem to catch a break with this bike.  I planned on having everything done and ready to ride for the summer months ago.  If I ever get my ghost pipe that I have been waiting on, and now if I can get my garage door to program, I think I'm leaving well enough alone until winter.  It's time to ride.

Now that I have my GPS working, I was just on the phone with someone that we are meeting up with on Friday to ride with.  I thought, great...I'll just get his address and enter it into the GPS.  He's got some screwed up address that they recently changed the name of the street and for mailing purposes, it goes by either of 2 city names.  I just tried to map it on the computer, and no luck, so I know it's not going to work on the GPS.  I finally have a chance to try it out, and I end up with a very non-user-friendly address.  Oh well.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 11:01:20 PM »

Just be confident that you'll have a run of good luck eventually and it will all even out.  BTW, have you checked the manual to troubleshoot your garage door opener?  You probably already know this, but sometimes the rolling code devices get out of sync with the receiver and have to be reset.  I think the manual has something about how to correct this. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 12:08:16 AM »

Got my bike back today, and the GPS appears to be working well now.  It acquires satellites immediately, comes up with the proper directions the first time, and recalculates the route almost immediately if I veer off the chosen path.  Of course, now my garage door opener doesn't work since they fixed the GPS.
  Cool, I am glad that it finally got worked out for you. Good luck with your other issues.---Rob

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »

Good news on the GPS...I would bet if they disconnected the power (as they should) you just need to go through the setup steps with your garage door opener and it will be working too.   Glad to hear the GPS is fixed.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »

I just got back from the dealer and they replaced the nav module.  My GPS is now working!!  And my garage door opener works too!   Plus, the Service Manager told me he was going to take care of my front tire (cupping issue, 5k miles) when the new tires came in.
:apple: :apple: :apple:
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »

I just got back from the dealer and they replaced the nav module.  My GPS is now working!!  And my garage door opener works too!   Plus, the Service Manager told me he was going to take care of my front tire (cupping issue, 5k miles) when the new tires came in.
:apple: :apple: :apple:

Okay, how did you get him to agree to take care of the front tire?  I was shut down on that one yesterday. Congrats on getting the NAV working.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 03:55:32 PM »

sorry about the tread jack :jack:, i'm not alone on the front tire cupping? hhhmmmm

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »

Okay, how did you get him to agree to take care of the front tire?  I was shut down on that one yesterday. Congrats on getting the NAV working.

My front tire does not look like it will  even outlast my rear tire.  I just showed him and told them the tire had already been discontinued and redesigned due to wear problems.  He found the bulletin on HD-Net and he said he'd put a new one on for me and cover it.  However, he did not have the new tire in stock, and the new tire is apparently not yet available, so I have nothing in hand so far.  The service bulletin is telling dealers to continue to use their old stock of 407's.   
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »

My front tire does not look like it will  even outlast my rear tire.  I just showed him and told them the tire had already been discontinued and redesigned due to wear problems.  He found the bulletin on HD-Net and he said he'd put a new one on for me and cover it.  However, he did not have the new tire in stock, and the new tire is apparently not yet available, so I have nothing in hand so far.  The service bulletin is telling dealers to continue to use their old stock of 407's.   

When the dealer saw that part, he told me that it's a running part change and they are to use up their existing stock, which means they aren't saying that the tires are a problem.  Mine is just barely starting to show the problem, but I have about 5000 miles of almost continuous riding planned for May.  I feel like I'm pretty much bound to have a problem mid-trip and I'm not pleased at all.  I'm just not sure I get this entire thing.  They have a safety related item that they know is a problem, have identified the problem in writing, they have made a product change to deal with the issue, and yet they continue to sell the tire that has known problems and don't want to replace the tire exhibiting the problem.  Why do I have a feeling that Harley is looking at yet another Class Action Lawsuit?  To me, that's just pure stupidity on their part, when this isn't even their product, and they should be passing the buck on to Dunlop.  It seems to me that Harley is opening themselves up to the liability here, when it should fall on Dunlop.  I think I may have to call Harley Customer Service once again and see if I can get an authorization from them to replace this tire.  I have no problem with it being done on a prorated basis.  I've gotten 5000 miles on it, and I am not looking to profit, just be made whole again.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 07:09:39 PM »

I concur, particularly on the  pro rata issue.  I expect a front tire to last about 16-20k based on experience with my softail.  I replaced the front about every other rear tire, which went 8-10k.  I also wonder about HD's risk management strategy in dealing with it in this manner.  Reminds me of the Pinto with the exploding gas tank and the Ford memo that sank them in that case. 
I'm going to clamor for a replacement anyway, and see what happens.
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

chanman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: O6 SE Ultra Classic (Sold)
    • CVO2: 09 SE Ultra Classic
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »

What is a GPS and why do you use it? I find half the fun is getting lost. Seriously I have had my bike since Sept and after reading your post I finally went out there and meesed with it. I got past the point some of you did before a malfunction, but it seemed to be taking a long time to caluclate the route, much longer than the one in my car. How long should it normally take to calulate a route?

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »

What is a GPS and why do you use it? I find half the fun is getting lost. Seriously I have had my bike since Sept and after reading your post I finally went out there and meesed with it. I got past the point some of you did before a malfunction, but it seemed to be taking a long time to caluclate the route, much longer than the one in my car. How long should it normally take to calulate a route?

I thought the same thing, but tried the GPS anyways.

Here are my NEW thoughts on GPS - plug in the ultimate destination if you have one - then ignore the GPS until you know that it is time to "get to the place" you programed in - the GPS will tell you how long to get there (ie: if you are out riding the country and need to be home at a certain time for the SO).  If I am out riding with absolutely NO IDEA for a destination, I will not use the GPS.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »

Now that it's fixed, mine gets a route very quickly.  The defective units aren't acquiring satellites. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 09:06:05 PM »

Now that it's fixed, mine gets a route very quickly.  The defective units aren't acquiring satellites. 

Same here.  I calculates the route very quickly, and recalculating when you veer off the route is amazingly quick.  I can certainly see why the Zumo is preferred though.  There are a lot of things you would like to do that you can't with this unit.  On Friday afternoon, I was in the southwest corner of PA and wanted to figure which way to get home and do it quickly enough to get my buddy home before his wife raised the roof.  Of course, the route would have led me directly through Pittsburgh, and with the traffic at that hour, no way was that going to work.  It takes a little bit before the GPS stops telling you to make a U turn, get off at this exit, get off at that exit, and finally it decides that it's time to send you in another direction.  With the Zumo, I think you could program the route through some way point that would map you out based on your intended path, and avoid the high traffic areas.  But, it did keep recalculating the route and showing me the shortest way home based on where we were at any given moment, which can be of some help.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 21 queries.